RE: [tracker2] Re: LaCrosse 2317 WX Station software test

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2006
      Did you wire up an adapter like I described?  You need 5 volts on pin 7 and ground on pin 4 on the weather station side.  Maybe I'll be able to set that up as a jumper in future board revisions.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2006
        Nope - but I did now and it's working! Somehow that went right by me.
        Thanks Scott!

        Mark

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:

        > Did you wire up an adapter like I described? You need 5 volts on
        pin 7 and
        > ground on pin 4 on the weather station side. Maybe I'll be able to
        set that
        > up as a jumper in future board revisions.
        >
        > Scott
        >

        > _____

        Behalf

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2006
          Cool.  What's the callsign+ssid?

          Scott

          Nope - but I did now and it's working! Somehow that went right by me.
          Thanks Scott!

          Mark

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:

          > Did you wire up an adapter like I described? You need 5 volts on
          pin 7 and
          > ground on pin 4 on the weather station side. Maybe I'll be able to
          set that
          > up as a jumper in future board revisions.
          >
          > Scott
          >

          > _____

        • k0yg
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 7, 2006
            It's k0yg-5 but it's not to interesting since it's sitting on my
            desk.

            I'm not sure how the wind gust is calculated because I can blow on
            the annonemeter and get the speed up to 15 MPH for maybe 5-10 seconds
            but the wind gust still reads zero. Maybe the gust needs to be
            longer? (Wind speed is reading zero too...). Maybe I need to set it
            up in front of a fan!

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 7, 2006
              There's no gust value reported at all.  It's not directly logged by the unit.  I'm not sure it's possible to derive it externally either, because the updates (at least using the wireless option) are too slow.  The anemometer would have to be recording and reporting gusts itself, and it doesn't seem to.

              Scott

              It's k0yg-5 but it's not to interesting since it's sitting on my
              desk.

              I'm not sure how the wind gust is calculated because I can blow on
              the annonemeter and get the speed up to 15 MPH for maybe 5-10 seconds
              but the wind gust still reads zero. Maybe the gust needs to be
              longer? (Wind speed is reading zero too...). Maybe I need to set it
              up in front of a fan!

              Mark

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:

              > Cool. What's the callsign+ssid?
              >
              > Scott
              >

              > _____

            • Cap Pennell
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 7, 2006
                Two digipeater hops is all directions every 5 minutes! It _did_ show some
                wind (and gust reports) okay.
                http://WX.findu.com/K0YG-5
                http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wx.cgi?call=K0YG-5 (Look around
                20061207145648)
                Working FB!
                73, Cap KE6AFE

              • k0yg
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2006
                  Well, not quite. The gusts were reported when I had it connected to
                  the Peet station - which is outside. The 2317 has only been
                  connected since 20061207223357 where you start seeing humidity being
                  reported. I have the sensors directly wired to the station so the
                  update period is faster than the RF link. The updates are every 5
                  minutes exactly because I have the T2 connected to a HT which is on
                  quiet frequency. It is being Igated by my D700 which is set to the
                  same frequency. That way I can tell for sure that it is working every
                  5 mintutes by avoiding the usual collisions on 144.390.

                  This morning I noticed that the barometric pressure is off. If I
                  compare the baro pressure reported by my 2317 and the reports by
                  nearby stations on findu the trend is correct but the absolute
                  numbers are off. For instance if I look at the last 12 hours, my
                  station reports a high baro pressure of about 1029.4 where two
                  nearby stations reported 1035. One station is only a mile away. The
                  barometric low pressure is off as well but not as much. You can see
                  this at:
                  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=k0yg-5&last=12
                  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW4943&last=12

                  I'm not sure if my unit is defective or maybe my expectations are too
                  high for the unit!

                  I may try to see if I can compare what my the Peet reports vs the
                  2317 but I don't think I have enough equipment to report both on
                  findu.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 8, 2006
                    Do the numbers match what's on the weather station's console?  The T2 is programmed to read the relative pressure, not absolute, and as such it may need to be calibrated.  There's a blurb in the manual about that, at least for the WS-2310.  I can make it show absolute pressure, but supposedly relative is what's shown on regular weather reports, though the APRS spec doesn't say anything about it.  I can change it if necessary - it's just an address constant.

                    Scott

                    Well, not quite. The gusts were reported when I had it connected to
                    the Peet station - which is outside. The 2317 has only been
                    connected since 20061207223357 where you start seeing humidity being
                    reported. I have the sensors directly wired to the station so the
                    update period is faster than the RF link. The updates are every 5
                    minutes exactly because I have the T2 connected to a HT which is on
                    quiet frequency. It is being Igated by my D700 which is set to the
                    same frequency. That way I can tell for sure that it is working every
                    5 mintutes by avoiding the usual collisions on 144.390.

                    This morning I noticed that the barometric pressure is off. If I
                    compare the baro pressure reported by my 2317 and the reports by
                    nearby stations on findu the trend is correct but the absolute
                    numbers are off. For instance if I look at the last 12 hours, my
                    station reports a high baro pressure of about 1029.4 where two
                    nearby stations reported 1035. One station is only a mile away. The
                    barometric low pressure is off as well but not as much. You can see
                    this at:
                    http://www.findu. com/cgi-bin/ wxpage.cgi? call=k0yg- 5&last=12
                    http://www.findu. com/cgi-bin/ wxpage.cgi? call=CW4943& last=12

                    I'm not sure if my unit is defective or maybe my expectations are too
                    high for the unit!

                    I may try to see if I can compare what my the Peet reports vs the
                    2317 but I don't think I have enough equipment to report both on
                    findu.

                    Mark

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Cap Pennell" <ke6afe@...> wrote:

                    > Two digipeater hops is all directions every 5 minutes! It _did_
                    show some
                    > wind (and gust reports) okay.
                    > http://WX.findu. com/K0YG- 5
                    > http://www.findu. com/cgi-bin/ wx.cgi?call= K0YG-5 (Look around
                    > 20061207145648)
                    > Working FB!
                    > 73, Cap KE6AFE

                  • k0yg
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 8, 2006
                      Hi Scott,

                      I calibrated the 2317 a couple of days ago using the data from the
                      nearby airport. I just checked the airport agianst what the 2317 is
                      displaying and they are within .02 inches of HG of each other.

                      The console displays in inches of HG and FindU reports in millibars.
                      Do you happen to know what the conversion factor is between the two?
                      Is the conversion to millibars done in the T2?

                      I just noticed that I was displaying absolute pressure on the
                      console. I just changed it over to display relative pressure. I
                      doubt if that would make a difference on what is sent over the serial
                      port.

                      I'll also see if I can manually check the 2317 against the Peet over
                      the period of the next day or so. I'll start by recalibrating both to
                      the airport and each other and see what happens.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 8, 2006
                        1 inch Hg = 33.85 mbar.  The value that's read from the station is in millibars (hPa) regardless of the display setting.  I can't speak for the accuracy of the station itself, but if you set the display to relative mode and hPa, it should agree with the raw value reported on the air.