Re: [tracker2] nuvi350 serial data

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 11, 2011
      If you're talking about using it with the Tracker2, you just plug it in
      and as long as it's in Garmin mode it will send the appropriate commands
      to get the nuvi talking. If you're building something of your own,
      you'll need to look up the Garmin serial interface spec.

      Scott

      On 12/11/2011 8:26 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
      > Ok, Garmin Binary Format only.... Should I expect a stream of 9600 baud
      > serial data as soon as the cable is plugged in?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Eric
      >

      > On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
      > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
      >
      > __
      >
      > On 12/11/2011 5:52 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
      > > will the nuvi350 automatically send a stream of 9600 8N1 NMEA serial
      > > data when the garmin cable is plugged in? if not how does one
      > start the
      > > data output? will the nuvi350 output both NMEA and Garmin formats?
      >
      > The nuvi 350 won't put out NMEA data at all, just Garmin binary. Our
      > GTRANS cable will translate the Garmin data into NMEA, though.
      >
      > Scott

    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2011
        I forgot to mention that the Gtrans Cable (also sold by Argent Data) that Scott mentioned will also give you serial data. In this case the NMEA serial data you were looking for.

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

        > Eric,
        >
        > The standard mini usb cable will only put the nuvi into "mass storage" mode, not serial. One way to get serial data is to use the
        > Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable (sold by Argent Data) which will put the Nuvi into "Dispatch mode". With the correct command sent to the Nuvi, the output from the cable will be Garmin serial data which you can use to your hearts content.
        >
        > Larry
        > K7YBZ
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok, Garmin Binary Format only.... Should I expect a stream of 9600 baud
        > > serial data as soon as the cable is plugged in?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Eric
        > >

        > > On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **

        > > > The nuvi 350 won't put out NMEA data at all, just Garmin binary. Our
        > > > GTRANS cable will translate the Garmin data into NMEA, though.
        > > >
        > > > Scott

      • Eric Fort
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 11, 2011
          My appologies for not being clear about which cable....  If I plug the Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable into the side of the Nuvi350, should I immediately see bits begin to flow or does something else have to happen first?
          also, what are the proper serial parameters for use with the Nuvi350 and Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable.

          Thanks,

          Eric
          AF6EP

          On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 9:07 PM, k7ybz <k7ybz@...> wrote:

          Eric,

          The standard mini usb cable will only put the nuvi into "mass storage" mode, not serial. One way to get serial data is to use the
          Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable (sold by Argent Data) which will put the Nuvi into "Dispatch mode". With the correct command sent to the Nuvi, the output from the cable will be Garmin serial data which you can use to your hearts content.

          Larry
          K7YBZ

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

          > Ok, Garmin Binary Format only.... Should I expect a stream of 9600 baud
          > serial data as soon as the cable is plugged in?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Eric
          >

          > On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **

          > > On 12/11/2011 5:52 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
          > > > will the nuvi350 automatically send a stream of 9600 8N1 NMEA serial
          > > > data when the garmin cable is plugged in? if not how does one start the
          > > > data output? will the nuvi350 output both NMEA and Garmin formats?
          > >
          > > The nuvi 350 won't put out NMEA data at all, just Garmin binary. Our
          > > GTRANS cable will translate the Garmin data into NMEA, though.
          > >
          > > Scott

        • k7ybz
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 11, 2011
            Eric,

            No parameters need to be set up between the Nuvi and the Garmin Data cable. The cale takes care of that automatically. The default serial output from the cable is 9600 baud.

            Scott will have to chim in here, but I believe the OT2 sends commands to the Garmin cable telling it can now send data and the two units will commence talking. Otherwise I believe the Garmin cable will continue to interrogate the outside world for the correct commands but should be spitting out bits regardless.

            The Gtrans cable does all the talking to the Nuvi and provides the NMEA data out that you might be looking for so you will see those bits immediately.

            Larry
            K7YBZ

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

            > My appologies for not being clear about which cable.... If I plug the
            > Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable into the side of the Nuvi350, should
            > I immediately see bits begin to flow or does something else have to happen
            > first?
            > also, what are the proper serial parameters for use with the Nuvi350 and
            > Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Eric
            > AF6EP
            >

            > On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 9:07 PM, k7ybz <k7ybz@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Eric,
            > >
            > > The standard mini usb cable will only put the nuvi into "mass storage"
            > > mode, not serial. One way to get serial data is to use the
            > > Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable (sold by Argent Data) which will put
            > > the Nuvi into "Dispatch mode". With the correct command sent to the Nuvi,
            > > the output from the cable will be Garmin serial data which you can use to
            > > your hearts content.
            > >
            > > Larry
            > > K7YBZ
            > >

            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Ok, Garmin Binary Format only.... Should I expect a stream of 9600 baud
            > > > serial data as soon as the cable is plugged in?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > >
            > > > Eric

            > > the

          • Eric Fort
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
              Just trying to figure out what I should expect to see with the nuvi350 running and a scope attached to the bare wires of the FMI cable.

              Eric
              AF6EP

            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
                You can read all about the FMI mode starting at http://www8.garmin.com/solutions/pnd/

                On 12/12/2011 10:47 AM, Eric Fort wrote: Just trying to figure out what I should expect to see with the nuvi350 running and a scope attached to the bare wires of the FMI cable.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
                  On 12/12/2011 7:47 AM, Eric Fort wrote:
                  > Just trying to figure out what I should expect to see with the nuvi350
                  > running and a scope attached to the bare wires of the FMI cable.

                  Nothing, except maybe an unsolicited packet or two when it powers up.
                  You have to send it the PVT start command to get it to start sending.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
                    > commence talking. Otherwise I believe the Garmin cable will continue to
                    > interrogate the outside world for the correct commands but should be
                    > spitting out bits regardless.

                    The Garmin cable is nothing but an RS-232 level shifter and ID resistor.
                    It doesn't have any brains of its own. The GTRANS cable, though,
                    actively talks to both the Garmin and NMEA sides.