Android APRS

  • Tom Tengdin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011
      I see in the market place that there are apps make the Android a serial
      terminal via Bluetooth serial adapter.

      The new Toshiba Thrive can be a USB master.

      Anyone know of an APRS app for the Android that would replace the GARMIN
      functionality?

      Seems like all the pieces are there, the 10in screen on the Thrive looks
      like a nice size for in-vehicle tracking during events.

      Tnx

      WB9VXY
    • Jesse Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011

        APRSdroid

        On Dec 11, 2011 2:40 PM, "Tom Tengdin" <t.tengdin@...> wrote:
        I see in the market place that there are apps make the Android a serial
        terminal via Bluetooth serial adapter.

        The new Toshiba Thrive can be a USB master.

        Anyone know of an APRS app for the Android that would replace the GARMIN
        functionality?

        Seems like all the pieces are there, the 10in screen on the Thrive looks
        like a nice size for in-vehicle tracking during events.

        Tnx

        WB9VXY

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
           tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • lists@ke4nyv.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011
          I just picked up new Acer A500 Tablet and I have been playing with APRSdroid via a Bluetooth link to a TNC-X and it's working great!  I had previously played with the same setup, but used my Droid Incredible, instead of the tablet.  It worked, but the small screen made it a bit cumbersome to use.  The tablet is a whole new experience with APRSdroid!

          Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
          RPC Electronics, LLC
          www.rpc-electronics.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2011
              The TNC-X has a PCB mounted DB9 serial connector, so I just plugged a Roving Networks module onto it and configured for normal pairing.  The pairing process is business and usual

              Here is a link to the Roving Networks module at SparkFun (others carry it, as well):

              http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8495

              I don't remember if I bought mine from SparkFun, but that is about the going street price for one.

              Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics, LLC
              www.rpc-electronics.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 17, 2011
                Thanks to all for the info.

                I didn't know APRSdroid had all those options.

                I will post more after Christmas when I have had a chance to play with
                the Thrive and APRSdroid.

                WB9VXY

                T3