Re: Not transmitting while moving

  • francois.rogez
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 7, 2011
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

      > And I just noticed your subject was "Not transmitting", but yet you're
      > body talked about seeing "packets on aprs.fi". Those are actually two
      > different things and two different problems. Your proposal of GPS
      > losing fix would cause a "not transmitting" while most of the other
      > issues (paths, noisy RF, profile changes) would cause those
      > transmissions to not make it through an IGate to aprs.fi. So I'd
      > suggest a new first step.
      >
      > 0) - Drive around with someone else and stare at the transmit indicator
      > on your rig to determine if it's a "not transmitting" issue or a "not
      > arriving to aprs.fi" issue.

      True, for now all I know is that the packets don't get to APRS.FI while moving.
      There are several parking place from which I get to APRS.FI reliably.
      I also receive RF packets on my handheld while at home.
      I will do some test like you suggested tomorrow.
    • francois.rogez
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 7, 2011

        > On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM, francois.rogez <ffdef@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I have changed my path to WIDE2-1, but there was no improvement.
        > > I am guessing that those far-away i-gates are just quicker to put the data on aprs-is.
        >
        > It is very strange that only one digipeater in all of LA can hear
        > you... looking at the last 1000 packets, it looks like there are other
        > issues afoot that make it very difficult for us to diagnose the issues
        > from what we can see based on the heavily filtered APRS-IS feed.
        >
        > 2011-12-05 10:16:57 MST:
        > WZ6FR-2>APOT21,WA6JFK-1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,N6EX-3:!3412.12N/11810.35W.142/00012.5V
        >
        > That shows that for at least a little bit you were using a
        > WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 outgoing path.

        Yes, I used that path before switching to WIDE2-2 as you suggested yesterday.

        > 2011-12-05 10:29:47 MST:
        > WZ6FR-2>APOT21,N6EX-4*,qAR,WL7AG-10:!3412.12N/11810.35W.142/000/A=00127912.5V
        >
        > This packet not long after shows only a single used up hop handled by
        > N6EX-4, with no trace of the original path used. Shortly after again
        > we see another packet with the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 remnants, which
        > probably indicates that you are running that path, and the APRS
        > network in LA is screwed up and destroying the path as it is handled.
        >
        > That still doesn't explain why N6EX-4 handles so many of the packets.
        > Are you on an alternate frequency, or on 144.390?

        144.39
        I don't know enough about paths to recognize a problem with the digipeaters or igates, but I'll try to learn.

        > N6NEX-4 appears to be handling the majority packets, packets that
        > probably have been handled by other digipeaters, but due to
        > misconfigured settings in N6EX-4, we can not see where the packet has
        > been.
        >
        > Without being able to see what is happening on RF in your area we have
        > little chance of being able to help diagnose the problem.
        >
        > The APRS-IS view of your area shows a number of digipeaters close to
        > your location. You should be heard by them. Do you have another radio?
        > If you could download a copy of APRSISCE/32 and set that up with a
        > soundcard modem tied into the second radio (or if you have another
        > APRS rig, tie that into APRSISCE/32), we could get some visibility
        > into your local network, and you would also be able to see what is
        > happening as well.
        >
        > --
        > James
        > VE6SRV

        I will try to set-up APRSISCE/32, but I have a mac, so it may take some work.
      • francois.rogez
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 7, 2011
          > If you could download a copy of APRSISCE/32 and set that up with a
          > soundcard modem tied into the second radio (or if you have another
          > APRS rig, tie that into APRSISCE/32), we could get some visibility
          > into your local network, and you would also be able to see what is
          > happening as well.
          >
          > --
          > James
          > VE6SRV

          Ok, I have APRSISCE/32 running on my mac using Parallel and connected to my Kenwood TH-D72. This was easier than I expected.
          I have turned off APRS-IS to see only RF.
          Could you elaborate on what data I should be collecting and how to share it?

          Thanks
        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 8, 2011
            What callsign-ssid do you have configured in APRSIS32?

            Please ensure that the following options are checked:

            Enables / Logging / File Enabled - Puts all trace logs to APRSIS32*.LOG

            Enables / Logging / <YourD72PortName> - This will log all activity on
            the RF port

            Enables / Logging / Packets (especially since you have APRS-IS disabled)

            Enables / Ports / Log All - This will make *.PKT files with all RF
            received packets

            If you let it run this way while doing the tests you can see what the
            D72 is receiving live in Enables / View Logs / <YourD72PortName> and
            even after the test you can examine the *.PKT or APRSIS32*.LOG files to
            see what all was received by the D72 and delivered to APRSIS32.

            On 12/8/2011 12:34 AM, francois.rogez wrote:

            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:
            >> If you could download a copy of APRSISCE/32 and set that up with a
            >> soundcard modem tied into the second radio (or if you have another
            >> APRS rig, tie that into APRSISCE/32), we could get some visibility
            >> into your local network, and you would also be able to see what is
            >> happening as well.
            >>
            >> --
            >> James
            >> VE6SRV
            >>
            > Ok, I have APRSISCE/32 running on my mac using Parallel and connected to my Kenwood TH-D72. This was easier than I expected.
            > I have turned off APRS-IS to see only RF.
            > Could you elaborate on what data I should be collecting and how to share it?
            >
            > Thanks

          • francois.rogez
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 8, 2011
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

              > What callsign-ssid do you have configured in APRSIS32?
              >
              > Please ensure that the following options are checked:
              >
              > Enables / Logging / File Enabled - Puts all trace logs to APRSIS32*.LOG
              >
              > Enables / Logging / <YourD72PortName> - This will log all activity on
              > the RF port
              >
              > Enables / Logging / Packets (especially since you have APRS-IS disabled)
              >
              > Enables / Ports / Log All - This will make *.PKT files with all RF
              > received packets
              >
              > If you let it run this way while doing the tests you can see what the
              > D72 is receiving live in Enables / View Logs / <YourD72PortName> and
              > even after the test you can examine the *.PKT or APRSIS32*.LOG files to
              > see what all was received by the D72 and delivered to APRSIS32.

              I will follow those instructions in detail tonight.

              However based on what I saw yesterday, hooking up the D72 to the computer causes the D72 to become deaf to all except the packets coming directly from my t2-301 which is a few feet away.
              The USB cable has ferrite beads on both ends, so I don't know how to improve this.
            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 8, 2011
                On 12/8/2011 10:45 AM, francois.rogez wrote:
                > However based on what I saw yesterday, hooking up the D72 to the computer causes the D72 to become deaf to all except the packets coming directly from my t2-301 which is a few feet away.
                > The USB cable has ferrite beads on both ends, so I don't know how to improve this.

                I don't have a D72, but just connecting it to a PC shouldn't, in my
                mind, change what packets it can hear and/or decode, unless your PC is
                an RF radiator. Is it just the physical connection, or do you mean that
                running an APRS client like APRSISCE/32 causes this change in the D72?
                What are the indications you see that you interpret as becoming "deaf"
                vs when it is not deaf?

              • francois.rogez
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 9, 2011
                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "francois.rogez" <ffdef@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there, just joined and looking for help with a new T2-301.
                  >
                  > Setup:
                  > ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver plugged into serial port B (using ADS splitter cable)
                  > I use port A to run OTWINCFG using Parallel on a mac for setup, or ZTERM for looking at received waypoints
                  > power is provided from my car battery through ADS serial+power cable
                  >
                  > Currently, I have turned off smart beaconing and trying to transmit every minute (planning to slow this down and use smart beaconing as soon as I finished troubleshooting).
                  >
                  > I can see packets on aprs.fi almost every minutes while stopped, but almost no packet while driving.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions on how to make this work while moving?
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > WZ6FR-2

                  Update:

                  Thank you all for the good suggestions

                  After driving with a D72 in the car, I receive good packets on the hand-held almost every time ( a few open the squelch, but don't display - I assume those are corrupted)

                  So, the GPS and tracker are fine, and the remaining problem is either RF or path related.
                  Using aprs.fi, I see several people being tracked very well in the same general area.

                  Given the fairly good performance while parked, I am guessing that the setting is ok, but that moving degrades the RF performance enough to become unusable.

                  Any suggestion on improving performance?
                  Current setup: T2-301 with power level set at 99 (~9W?), 2m/70cm magnetic antenna on roof of the car.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 12, 2011
                    The antenna is probably where I'd start. I get much better results from
                    a more rigid 5/8 wave than the thin 1/4 wave magmounts while moving.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 14, 2011
                      Thanks Scott, I will look into that for a future antenna

                      Here is an update, and maybe an end to this topic:

                      After spending more time looking at the aprs.fi data and map, I believe that the current performance of my setup (GPS, T2-301, antenna) is quite good: I can hit repeaters several tens of miles away when the topography is favorable (and, I guess, when those repeaters are not already busy dealing with some other packets that I can't hear).

                      It looks like my mistake was to think that the area where I live ought to have good coverage from the nearby high-altitude digi's. In fact, there is clearly a shadowed area at the base of the mountain where the coverage varies within short distances.
                      This statement is based on 2 things:
                      - looking at those packets that made it to aprs.fi and what stations heard me directly
                      - driving around with a laptop announcing the callsign of the digi's being heard directly

                      I would like to refine this into more systematic coverage maps:
                      1 - a map showing where I send a packet from, and whether I hear it echoed back
                      2 - a map showing the locations where I received any packets from each digi

                      For (1) I would need a way to detect when the t2-301 decided to send a packet
                      For (1) and (2) I would need a way to get a GPS position, and a way to log all the time (a laptop is not a good long-term solution). Probably something with a micro-controller and flash memory card.

                      I will start a new topic when/if I seriously get started with this idea.

                      Thanks to all that helped rule out issue with the radio/TNC/GPS.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 14, 2011
                        On 12/14/2011 1:14 PM, francois.rogez wrote:
                        > I would like to refine this into more systematic coverage maps:
                        > 1 - a map showing where I send a packet from, and whether I hear it echoed back
                        > 2 - a map showing the locations where I received any packets from each digi
                        >
                        > For (1) I would need a way to detect when the t2-301 decided to send a packet
                        > For (1) and (2) I would need a way to get a GPS position, and a way to log all the time (a laptop is not a good long-term solution). Probably something with a micro-controller and flash memory card.

                        Download a copy of APRSISCE/32 and switch it over the latest development
                        version following instructions on the wiki at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

                        APRSISCE/32 can draw realtime packet paths using your actual coordinates
                        as each packet is received and the last known locations of not only the
                        originating station but also every digipeater that handled the packet.

                      • francois.rogez
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 14, 2011
                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                          > On 12/14/2011 1:14 PM, francois.rogez wrote:
                          > > I would like to refine this into more systematic coverage maps:
                          > > 1 - a map showing where I send a packet from, and whether I hear it echoed back
                          > > 2 - a map showing the locations where I received any packets from each digi
                          > >
                          > > For (1) I would need a way to detect when the t2-301 decided to send a packet
                          > > For (1) and (2) I would need a way to get a GPS position, and a way to log all the time (a laptop is not a good long-term solution). Probably something with a micro-controller and flash memory card.
                          >
                          > Download a copy of APRSISCE/32 and switch it over the latest development
                          > version following instructions on the wiki at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/
                          >
                          > APRSISCE/32 can draw realtime packet paths using your actual coordinates
                          > as each packet is received and the last known locations of not only the
                          > originating station but also every digipeater that handled the packet.

                          Hi Lynn,

                          Are you advising me to run APRSISCE/32 in my car? I would have to figure what are my options for hardware as I do not want to use my laptop.

                          For home, it could be a nice way to display the data if there is some kind of log file that I can create through other means while driving, and then ingest into APRSISCE/32 once I get home.
                          Setting up APRSISCE/32 at home with its own receiver would not quite achieve what I am after.
                        • Fred Hillhouse
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 14, 2011
                            I run APRSISCE on an HTC Tilt in my car when I am not running APRSIS32 on my Netbook. The Tilt is used for my daily runs while the Netbook is used for longer trips. Both make for a nice view into the world of APRS. Both units, connect to my ArgentData OT2 in KISS mode. The Tilt uses Bluetooth while the Netbook is a wired connection. I do not use my Tilt for a phone. It has no SIM card in it.

                            I have a mobile desk in my vehicle that either can sit on securely.

                            Of course at home, a radio, TNC (hardware or software) connected to APRSIS32 makes for a great application.

                            Best regards,
                            Fred, N7FMH

                            href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

                            > APRSISCE/32 can draw realtime packet paths using your actual
                            coordinates
                            > as each packet is received and the last known locations of
                            not only the
                            > originating station but also every digipeater that handled
                            the packet.

                            > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows
                            Mobile and Win32

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 14, 2011
                              Yes, the proposal was to take the laptop mobile while you are doing the
                              research, not necessarily as a full-time installation.

                              Currently APRSISCE/32 has no means to inject such data, but there may be
                              a way to do it with a mobile -IS server connected to from your home
                              station and let the home station capture all packet receptions live from
                              the mobile IGate. It would require mobile Internet access for the
                              mobile laptop, but it could be done.

                              On 12/14/2011 2:51 PM, francois.rogez wrote:

                              > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<ldeffenb@...> wrote:
                              >> On 12/14/2011 1:14 PM, francois.rogez wrote:
                              >>> I would like to refine this into more systematic coverage maps:
                              >>> 1 - a map showing where I send a packet from, and whether I hear it echoed back
                              >>> 2 - a map showing the locations where I received any packets from each digi
                              >>>
                              >>> For (1) I would need a way to detect when the t2-301 decided to send a packet
                              >>> For (1) and (2) I would need a way to get a GPS position, and a way to log all the time (a laptop is not a good long-term solution). Probably something with a micro-controller and flash memory card.
                              >> Download a copy of APRSISCE/32 and switch it over the latest development
                              >> version following instructions on the wiki at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/
                              >>
                              >> APRSISCE/32 can draw realtime packet paths using your actual coordinates
                              >> as each packet is received and the last known locations of not only the
                              >> originating station but also every digipeater that handled the packet.

                              > Hi Lynn,
                              >
                              > Are you advising me to run APRSISCE/32 in my car? I would have to figure what are my options for hardware as I do not want to use my laptop.
                              >
                              > For home, it could be a nice way to display the data if there is some kind of log file that I can create through other means while driving, and then ingest into APRSISCE/32 once I get home.
                              > Setting up APRSISCE/32 at home with its own receiver would not quite achieve what I am after.

                            • Marcel S
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 14, 2011
                                You may find the digi coverage maps on aprs.fi quite useful to debug good
                                coverage zones as well. Note that these maps a based on the number of
                                packets received in an area and not necessarily the quality of signals from
                                there. See example at: http://aprs.fi/heard/a/N6EX-1

                                (You'll want to use SPLAT! for actual propagation mapping. Or visit the
                                KE5QHX site: http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php)

                                Cheers,

                                -Marcel AI6MS

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 14, 2011
                                  Thanks for the links; this probably answers my question, although I might still do my own survey for fun.