Re: [tracker2] Tracker support lists

  • Yono
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
      A new Yahoo group please,

      de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 8, 2011, at 4:13 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > The Tracker3 is nearing release, and I'm trying to decide if I want to
      > create a new Yahoo group, or start merging the existing ones.
      >
      > Already the OpenTracker USB introduces some confusion, since it looks
      > like the OT1+ but is functionally much closer to the T2. The T3 will
      > also have much in common with the T2.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > Also, a quick update on the T3: The OT3m v1.1 boards came in and so far
      > they're checking out OK. I had a couple of extra I/O lines and some
      > space on the board, so I added in a spot for a PS/2 keyboard connector.
      > I wired one up for testing yesterday and got it decoding today. Works
      > pretty slick - just plug in a PS/2 keyboard and it accepts commands like
      > it would from the serial port. Without any sort of display you're
      > typing blind, though.
      >
      > I also got the first T3-301 prototype built. It needs some mechanical
      > refinement, but so far things look pretty good. We're able to modify
      > the FC-301/D cases in-house to add a hole for the USB mini-B connector
      > at one end. If our sheet metal supplier keeps dragging their feet, the
      > T3-301 might be available before the OT3m.
      >
      > I'm also going to release a T3-135 board at some point. I've decided it
      > will have a USB mini-B receptacle as well. That will put it inside the
      > radio, of course, which seems inconvenient but it means that you can use
      > an off-the-shelf USB extension cable to pass USB out through the notch
      > for the speaker jack if you bend a metal tab on the lid.

    • Curt, WE7U
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
        On Wed, 7 Dec 2011, Scott Miller wrote:

        > The Tracker3 is nearing release, and I'm trying to decide if I want to
        > create a new Yahoo group, or start merging the existing ones.
        >
        > Already the OpenTracker USB introduces some confusion, since it looks
        > like the OT1+ but is functionally much closer to the T2. The T3 will
        > also have much in common with the T2.
        >
        > Thoughts?

        I run my incoming mail through procmail and combine the OT lists into one folder anyway, so either way works for me.

        After thinking about your 2nd paragraph above, I see big opportunities for misunderstanding among people buying their first ArgentData TNC. It might be better to keep them separate for that reason alone.

        However: If additional admin time is needed for multiple lists then by all means combine them so you have more time to develop. You have to protect that scarce resource at all costs.

        --
        Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
        APRS Device Capabilities: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_device_capabilities.html
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
          On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          > I'm trying to decide if I want to
          > create a new Yahoo group, or start merging the existing ones.

          I'd lean toward combining them. There's a fair amount of traffic (GPS
          related, radio related, etc) that's more or less common to all the
          devices, and like Curt I use a filter to dump them all into the same
          folder anyway.

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
        • n8qnm
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2011
            Scott,

            I subscribe to both lists already and would subscribe to the OT3m list as well. Either way works for me but I agree you need to protect your time! You need to keep your support hours in balance with your development hours. Besides, questions come up on other equipment like GPS receivers, software, interfacing, etc. that are common to both. I vote for one combined list.

            Looking forward to seeing the OT3m demo at Hamvention!

            Larry N8QNM