Tracker support lists

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
      Hi all,

      The Tracker3 is nearing release, and I'm trying to decide if I want to
      create a new Yahoo group, or start merging the existing ones.

      Already the OpenTracker USB introduces some confusion, since it looks
      like the OT1+ but is functionally much closer to the T2. The T3 will
      also have much in common with the T2.

      Thoughts?

      Also, a quick update on the T3: The OT3m v1.1 boards came in and so far
      they're checking out OK. I had a couple of extra I/O lines and some
      space on the board, so I added in a spot for a PS/2 keyboard connector.
      I wired one up for testing yesterday and got it decoding today. Works
      pretty slick - just plug in a PS/2 keyboard and it accepts commands like
      it would from the serial port. Without any sort of display you're
      typing blind, though.

      I also got the first T3-301 prototype built. It needs some mechanical
      refinement, but so far things look pretty good. We're able to modify
      the FC-301/D cases in-house to add a hole for the USB mini-B connector
      at one end. If our sheet metal supplier keeps dragging their feet, the
      T3-301 might be available before the OT3m.

      I'm also going to release a T3-135 board at some point. I've decided it
      will have a USB mini-B receptacle as well. That will put it inside the
      radio, of course, which seems inconvenient but it means that you can use
      an off-the-shelf USB extension cable to pass USB out through the notch
      for the speaker jack if you bend a metal tab on the lid.

      Scott
    • Yono
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
        A new Yahoo group please,

        de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Dec 8, 2011, at 4:13 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > The Tracker3 is nearing release, and I'm trying to decide if I want to
        > create a new Yahoo group, or start merging the existing ones.
        >
        > Already the OpenTracker USB introduces some confusion, since it looks
        > like the OT1+ but is functionally much closer to the T2. The T3 will
        > also have much in common with the T2.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Also, a quick update on the T3: The OT3m v1.1 boards came in and so far
        > they're checking out OK. I had a couple of extra I/O lines and some
        > space on the board, so I added in a spot for a PS/2 keyboard connector.
        > I wired one up for testing yesterday and got it decoding today. Works
        > pretty slick - just plug in a PS/2 keyboard and it accepts commands like
        > it would from the serial port. Without any sort of display you're
        > typing blind, though.
        >
        > I also got the first T3-301 prototype built. It needs some mechanical
        > refinement, but so far things look pretty good. We're able to modify
        > the FC-301/D cases in-house to add a hole for the USB mini-B connector
        > at one end. If our sheet metal supplier keeps dragging their feet, the
        > T3-301 might be available before the OT3m.
        >
        > I'm also going to release a T3-135 board at some point. I've decided it
        > will have a USB mini-B receptacle as well. That will put it inside the
        > radio, of course, which seems inconvenient but it means that you can use
        > an off-the-shelf USB extension cable to pass USB out through the notch
        > for the speaker jack if you bend a metal tab on the lid.

      • Curt, WE7U
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
          On Wed, 7 Dec 2011, Scott Miller wrote:

          > The Tracker3 is nearing release, and I'm trying to decide if I want to
          > create a new Yahoo group, or start merging the existing ones.
          >
          > Already the OpenTracker USB introduces some confusion, since it looks
          > like the OT1+ but is functionally much closer to the T2. The T3 will
          > also have much in common with the T2.
          >
          > Thoughts?

          I run my incoming mail through procmail and combine the OT lists into one folder anyway, so either way works for me.

          After thinking about your 2nd paragraph above, I see big opportunities for misunderstanding among people buying their first ArgentData TNC. It might be better to keep them separate for that reason alone.

          However: If additional admin time is needed for multiple lists then by all means combine them so you have more time to develop. You have to protect that scarce resource at all costs.

          --
          Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
          APRS Device Capabilities: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_device_capabilities.html
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
            On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > I'm trying to decide if I want to
            > create a new Yahoo group, or start merging the existing ones.

            I'd lean toward combining them. There's a fair amount of traffic (GPS
            related, radio related, etc) that's more or less common to all the
            devices, and like Curt I use a filter to dump them all into the same
            folder anyway.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • n8qnm
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2011
              Scott,

              I subscribe to both lists already and would subscribe to the OT3m list as well. Either way works for me but I agree you need to protect your time! You need to keep your support hours in balance with your development hours. Besides, questions come up on other equipment like GPS receivers, software, interfacing, etc. that are common to both. I vote for one combined list.

              Looking forward to seeing the OT3m demo at Hamvention!

              Larry N8QNM