Re: T2-135 Digipeating Issues

  • Gil
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
      Keith,

      Thanks for your reply. I have taken some of the steps you've outlined. I probably knew that I shouldn't have WIDE1-1 in the home station beacon path, but forgot about that. I have changed that to WIDE2-1 and it seems to work. (Actually, it didn't seem to at first, so I put in the call sign of the nearest wide digipeater and had it working that way for a little while, but then decided that shouldn't be necessary so I changed it back to just WIDE2-1 and it does seem to work - through that same digi, K4OZS-10.)

      The T2-135 digi function is set to respond to (now only) WIDE1-1 as is my understanding of a fill-in digi.

      I set the D72's path to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. I apparently had that also mistakenly set to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 without realizing it (the font size in the display is pretty small...).

      I left the transmit delay on the D72 set to 400 ms (default seems to be 200 ms). I had already increased that to compensate for possible start up delays in the amplifier (it does have a relay).

      I went for a long ride and had similar results to what I saw before. I did get one direct response from a distant digi so I have reason to believe the mobile setup is working, including the amplifier. However, once again, the D72 works fine in the house and I get all the appropriate actions and responses from the home station. But, although the home station hears, decodes, and plots all the beacons the mobile transmits when it's miles away, it digi's very few of them. On that particular excursion, I think two beacons made it to APRSIS and one of those was direct from another digi.

      (If you look through the raw data, you may see some paths that included TEMP1-1 - I happened to go to my mother-in-law's house where my wife showed up in her car with a D700 on board (WB2UTI-8). (My wife is N2FCD but we both use that car often enough that it seemed easier to just use my call...) I wanted to see if I could get that radio to digi the D72, but it didn't do it right off and I didn't want to fiddle with that. My D710 will do it nicely.)

      I do not have profile switching enabled on the T2 and both profiles are identical (I've never been quite convinced I had profile switching under control so it seemed easier just to avoid it).

      I can sit at the computer and beacon the D72, see the T2-135 digipeat it, and see the D72 show up on aprs.fi. I can do the same thing from the garage with the amplifier in line and get the same result.

      What's still puzzling me is that everything works near or at home but not several miles away - even though the T2-135 clearly hears me and decodes the packets at the most distant locations I've tried. Whenever the home station beacons, the D72 hears, decodes, and displays its beacon. Other digi's hear the mobile radio occasionally and properly repeat it suggesting the D72 and the amplifier are working properly. This all seems to rule everything out...

      Aha! Maybe I just found another factor (I've been tinkering while writing this mote). I had the DR-135 radio set to narrow FM - I was under the impression that it was supposed to decode better in that mode. I've changed it to "Wide", which I suspect is not FM broadcast wide but "normal" FM communications width. I'll see if that helps. That's the only thing I can think of at this point.

      Thanks again for your well thought out comments. I appreciate the time it must have taken to sort through that epic posting of mine.

      Gil, WB2UTI
    • Gil
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
        Hi, Scott.

        I'm not sure if I have profile switching disabled, but I don't have it enabled, that is, I don't have anything checked in the profile switching criteria for either profile. I do have them both identical, but I didn't realize that still might not be enough.

        Perhaps you can comment on the other issue I realized might be involved. I was under the impression that the T2-135 system worked better in Narrow FM mode, which is where I've had it set. I've just now changed it to WIDE to see if that will make any difference, but I'll trust your knowledge of where it should be.

        Gil, WB2UTI

        > Hi Gil,
        >
        > Try connecting to the T2-135 with a terminal program to watch the
        > traffic. You can also check the INFO command to see if it has
        > digipeated a packet. And make sure you've got profile switching
        > disabled - if you get it set up wrong, it'll dump the RX buffer every
        > time it switches profiles.
        >
        > If the T2-135 can hear your D72, and the nearest IGate can hear the
        > T2-135, then it's most likely a configuration problem.
        >
        > Scott
      • qp2trz
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
          Greetings Everyone.

          I notice I have the same issues with my Tracker 2 as far as digipeating is concerned; I have followed closely message 13253 and its conversation.
          I have done everything Keith suggested and it still does not digipeat my YAESU.

          Perhaps a little background...

          My first step is to have my Tracker 2 located in my car digipeat my YAESU portable and nobody else (strictly during testing) whilst I am walking my poochies on the Trans-Canada Trail.

          I figure the first step is to have the car digipeat my portable only.

          My portable is hit and miss to the towers direct and I wish to have a better relay to the towers via my car's digipeater.

          I confirm my car receives my portable.
          I confirm my portable receives my car.
          I confirm the towers receive my car.

          I have a terminal program running at the car and confirm the car is decoding the portable.
          The portable decodes the car and the odd tower fine.

          The car's call is VA3GOC-1, the portable's call is VA3GOC.

          The portable's path is WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1
          The car's path (now) is the same.
          I did have it set to Keith's suggestion (WIDE2-1) with no luck.

          I noticed in the User's manual a text command 'DIGI on/off'. I have not set that command but I do have the digipeater enabled using the configuration software.

          Is there a special alias I must use or something with the car's configuration in the Digi menu?

          I test the WIDE2-1 setting at work still with no digipeat of my portable. The car hits the towers fine. The portable is hit and miss to the towers.

          Best Wishes and thank you for any and all help.

          Joey, VA3GOC
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
            On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM, qp2trz <qp2trz@...> wrote:

            > I confirm my car receives my portable.
            > I confirm my portable receives my car.
            > I confirm the towers receive my car.

            Okay we know those things are working then.

            > The portable's path is WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1
            > The car's path (now) is the same.
            > I did have it set to Keith's suggestion (WIDE2-1) with no luck.

            Which path did you change as per Keith's suggestion, the car's path or
            your portable's path? If you NEED WIDE1-1 in the car's path to be
            heard, then that will impact the operation of the portable through the
            car.

            > I noticed in the User's manual a text command 'DIGI on/off'. I have not
            > set that command but I do have the digipeater enabled using the configuration software.

            How is the digipeater enabled with the configuration software? We need
            to know what you have configured.

            > Is there a special alias I must use or something with the car's configuration
            > in the Digi menu?

            Special in what sense? You will need to have the digipeater set up to
            digipeat on the desired alias.

            > I test the WIDE2-1 setting at work still with no digipeat of my portable.

            Test the WIDE2-1 setting at work with what? Are you setting the path
            in the portable to WIDE2-1, and trying to hit the main digipeaters
            direct, or do you have another station at work that you have set up as
            a digipeater?

            > The car hits the towers fine. The portable is hit and miss to the towers.

            With the missing information above, these results might make some sense.

            DIGI ON is probably the easiest way to test the operation of your car
            as a digipeater. Set DIGI ON, and then use an outgoing path on the
            portable of VA3GOC-1,WIDE2-1.

            This will make the car digipeat the portable station via the callsign
            of the car. Now, if your car can't be heard by the main digipeaters,
            you won't get into them with the portable station either. You will
            however hear your portable station being digipeated by the car.

          • Matthias Granberry
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
              inline

              On Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM, James Ewen wrote:

              DIGI ON is probably the easiest way to test the operation of your car
              as a digipeater. Set DIGI ON, and then use an outgoing path on the
              portable of VA3GOC-1,WIDE2-1.

              This will make the car digipeat the portable station via the callsign

              of the car. Now, if your car can't be heard by the main digipeaters,
              you won't get into them with the portable station either. You will
              however hear your portable station being digipeated by the car.

              VA3GOC-1,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 will use the car as the first hop and then use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 as the car would normally operate.

              Matthias
            • qp2trz
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 8, 2012
                My thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

                I added an alias to the end of the path settings of my portable and added that alias to the tracker 2s alias list.
                I then enabled that alias in the digi's alias menu and tadah.
                I now wonder if I am at the mercy of the car's digipeater or will conventional digis still accept the path as WIDE 1-1, WIDE 2-1, ALIAS when in range.
                I heard a second acknowledgement only once during the test. My locations of the test were far enough away that a five watt portable would not hit the towers directly.

                Once again my thanks to Keith, James and Matthias.

                I love learning stuff.

                Joey VA3GOC
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 8, 2012
                  On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM, qp2trz <qp2trz@...> wrote:

                  > I added an alias to the end of the path settings of my portable and
                  > added that alias to the tracker 2s alias list.
                  > I then enabled that alias in the digi's alias menu and tadah.

                  If by tadah, you mean you are getting digipeated by the car, then you
                  obviously have preemption turned on.

                  > I now wonder if I am at the mercy of the car's digipeater or will
                  > conventional digis still accept the path as WIDE 1-1, WIDE 2-1, ALIAS
                  > when in range.

                  If you are preempting on ALIAS in the OT2, then you won't get
                  digipeated by the conventional digipeaters as the conventional
                  digipeater aliases are before the preempted digipeat alias.

                  Digipeater aliases are used in the order they are found in the list.
                  Digipeaters don't pick and choose randomly (the closest is preemption
                  which can scan down the list skipping some aliases), they work in
                  sequential order.

                  Think of it like a list of places your wife is sending you to. When
                  she says go to the store, the gas station, and then the dry cleaner's,
                  you don't get to choose which one is closest. You HAVE to go to them
                  in that order. No ifs, ands, or buts...

                  With preemption (which is only supported by very few digipeaters), it
                  will look down the list and find the first entry that matches the
                  preemption alias. It will then mark all previous aliases as used up
                  (it has to, that's the way AX.25 works). Using the shopping list
                  scenario above, it would be like you stopped at the dry cleaner's and
                  then went home. The wife wouldn't be too pleased with you.

                  > I heard a second acknowledgement only once during the test. My locations
                  > of the test were far enough away that a five watt portable would not hit the towers directly.

                  That second acknowledgement was probably from a main digipeater
                  somewhere that DID hear you. If you are using preemptive digipeating,
                  none of the other digipeaters will respond once the ALIAS digipeater
                  acts upon the packet.

                  Don't guess at this stuff, LOOK at the packets you are sending around,
                  and see what happens to them as they are handled.

                • John Belsize
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 8, 2012
                    >If by tadah, you mean you are getting digipeated by the car, then you
                    >obviously have preemption turned on

                    Yes I do.

                    >If you are preempting on ALIAS in the OT2, then you won't get
                    >digipeated by the conventional digipeaters as the conventional
                    >digipeater aliases are before the preempted digipeat alias.

                    Doesn't this cut down on redundant traffic? The portable made it to the car and the car made it to an I-Gate.

                    >That second acknowledgement was probably from a main digipeater
                    >somewhere that DID hear you. If you are using preemptive digipeating,
                    >none of the other digipeaters will respond once the ALIAS digipeater
                    >acts upon the packet.

                    Understood.
                    So what I heard was the car digipeating me then a main digipeater digipeating me,
                    with the main digipeater (Which is an I-gate) acknowledging  my packet directly.
                    That shouldn't have happened? Because it was transmitted immediately after the car digipeated me?

                    >Don't guess at this stuff, LOOK at the packets you are sending around,
                    >and see what happens to them as they are handled.

                    What I expected was more second acknowledgements as I proceeded closer to the main digipeater.
                    Because I received only one I started wondering if adding the alias at the end of the path made the main digipeaters ignore me.

                    More learning!

                    Once again my thanks to all for your help.
                    I'm amazed the car digipeats my portable at all and the car is still received by conventional sites.

                    Joey  VA3GOC

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 8, 2012
                      On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM, John Belsize <qp2trz@...> wrote:

                      > >If you are preempting on ALIAS in the OT2, then you won't get
                      > >digipeated by the conventional digipeaters as the conventional
                      > >digipeater aliases are before the preempted digipeat alias.
                      >
                      > Doesn't this cut down on redundant traffic? The portable made it to the
                      > car and the car made it to an I-Gate.

                      Well, previously you said that the car makes it to the towers... I
                      didn't realize that your local digipeater was also an i-gate. If you
                      only need a single hop to get to your desired destination, then
                      perhaps a path of WIDE2-1,VA3GOC-1 in the portable would be better.
                      The car will preempt as long as it is running and can hear the
                      portable. When the portable is in range of the main digipeaters,
                      you'll be digipeated by them, and then by your car.

                      > >That second acknowledgement was probably from a main digipeater
                      > >somewhere that DID hear you. If you are using preemptive digipeating,
                      > >none of the other digipeaters will respond once the ALIAS digipeater
                      > >acts upon the packet.
                      >
                      > Understood.
                      > So what I heard was the car digipeating me then a main digipeater digipeating me,
                      > with the main digipeater (Which is an I-gate) acknowledging  my packet directly.
                      > That shouldn't have happened? Because it was transmitted immediately after the car digipeated me?

                      The packet from the main digipeater was digipeating what it heard
                      directly, not what it heard via your car.

                      Again, looking at the packets will show you what's happening:

                      I've cut most of the stuff out that we aren't interested in, to focus
                      on what we are interested in...

                      VA3GOC>T3TT1U,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,TINYFD,qAR,VE3LSR-4:

                      This first one shows us the outgoing path you are using,
                      WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,TINYFD. The qAR,VE3LSR-4 shows us who heard you and
                      gated you to the internet.

                      VA3GOC>T3TT1U,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,VA3GOC-1*,qAR,VE3LSR-4:

                      In this one, you can see that the TT2 acted upon the TINYFD alias,
                      inserting it's own callsign before the packet was gated to the
                      internet. Be aware that some TNCs will show a * after each used up
                      path, while others only show the * after the last used up alias. It
                      doesn't matter a whole lot, as any path element to the left of the
                      last * is considered used. Since there are no path elements after
                      VA3GOC-1*, there will be no more hops.

                      VA3GOC>T3TT1U,VE3REK,WIDE1,WIDE2-1,VA3GOC-1*,qAR,VE3LSR-4:

                      With this packet you can see that VE3REK acted upon the packet, and
                      then VA3GOC-1 acted upon it using preemption to skip the WIDE2-1 hop
                      request.

                      You're really hitting the APRS network pretty hard... each time you
                      have been active in the last couple days, you've pumped over 60
                      packets per hour into the network, and your speed has only been
                      recorded at a maximum of 6 km/h... Your vehicle is even worse with
                      upwards of 100 packets per hour for many hours, with over 50 packet
                      per hour for 24 hours.

                      You're not going to make many friends like that. Also, try keeping
                      your packets as short as possible. Long packets take up a lot of
                      airtime. Putting long comments that don't mean anything to anyone or
                      provide any useful information again just waste airtime that others
                      could be using.

                      Remember to play nice with the rest of the kids in the sandbox, and
                      share the toys available.

                      > >Don't guess at this stuff, LOOK at the packets you are sending around,
                      > >and see what happens to them as they are handled.
                      >
                      > What I expected was more second acknowledgements as I proceeded
                      > closer to the main digipeater.
                      > Because I received only one I started wondering if adding the alias at
                      > the end of the path made the main digipeaters ignore me.

                      If the main digis can hear you directly, they will digipeat you, but
                      if they hear you only after being digipeated by your car, there's not
                      next hop request, so they don't digipeat you.

                      The better solution is to have the car set up as a digipeater, and
                      change the outgoing path in the portable to use the car alias as the
                      first hop when you want to bounce through the car.

                      If you were around here with those beacon rates, and were not willing
                      to reduce the abusive rates, I'd be working to make all my digipeaters
                      ignore your stations in order to try and allow the digipeater network
                      to survive. If you truly need to know that your vehicle is parked in
                      your driveway every 30 seconds, you really need to look at building
                      your own digipeater network on a separate frequency, and leave 144.390
                      for the hundreds of other users that use reasonable rates.

                      I'm not trying to be a pain, but your stations are hogging the
                      resources in a seriously abusive manner.

                      Packet rate: 27 seconds between packets on average during 1357 seconds.
                      This station is transmitting packets at a high rate, which can cause
                      congestion in the APRS network.

                      http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/VA3GOC-1
                      http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/VA3GOC

                      Please think about others when setting up your station.

                    • John Belsize
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 9, 2012
                        Thanks James!

                        No need to repeat the packet rate comment again.

                        I only set everything up to this rate to gaurantee throughput that I could analyse and monitor while testing and learning. Looking at archives from months ago, even with that rate, I hit the towers direct perhaps 2 per-cent of the time . Now that I am digipeated by the car I hit the towers 100 per cent.
                        Even the D-Star guys around here suggested that rate for testing.
                        Now that I can get my packets to the I-gate I'll step back the rate considerably.
                        I've observed from the list that two-minutes is generally accepted.

                        With that in mind, should the car's beacon rate be different from the portable's beacon rate or should they be the same? My portable does not hit the towers directly with any reliability so when I am on foot I will be relying on the car for digipeating.

                        This is a great hobby and I have no intention of being known as anything other than an accepted member.

                        Once again my thanks to you and all that have helped me get my packets on the air.

                        Joey VA3GOC

                        P.S. your reply below I'm printing and reading over and over.

> [...]

                        to reduce the abusive rates, I'd be working to make all my digipeaters
                        ignore your stations in order to try and allow the digipeater network
                        to survive. If you truly need to know that your vehicle is parked in
                        your driveway every 30 seconds, you really need to look at building
                        your own digipeater network on a separate frequency, and leave 144.390
                        for the hundreds of other users that use reasonable rates.

                        I'm not trying to be a pain, but your stations are hogging the
                        resources in a seriously abusive manner.

                        Packet rate:    27 seconds between packets on average during 1357 seconds.
                        This station is transmitting packets at a high rate, which can cause
                        congestion in the APRS network.

                        http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/VA3GOC-1
                        http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/VA3GOC

                        Please think about others when setting up your station.

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Gil
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
                          This is in regard to an older message of mine. I was having trouble with my T2-135 system digipeating my D72 HT. I have since switched off the D72 with my older D7A. That seems to have made a significant difference in whether I'm digipeated by my own home station (WB2UTI-1). It's much more reliable with the D7 (into the same amplifier and antenna) than the D72 was.

                          Is anyone aware of any difference in the tone quality or de- or pre emphasis situation between the two radios? I'm not aware of any adjustments I can make in the D72 that would affect the tones.

                          Gil, WB2UTI