Re: GPS18 & tracker

  • k7ybz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21 1:57 PM
      What do you consider a "long time"? If the GPS has been powered down for several days or moved several miles from its last known position, it may take up to two minutes to get all the information it needs to display a position, especially if there are insufficient satellites in view at that particular location. The GPS needs one satellite to update the almanac information and it will give a "relative" position with three satellites, but it requires four satellites to calculate the clock error and adjust its internal clock to get a more accurate position.

      How old is the GPS-18? The clock battery should last 10 years or more and is recharged when you apply external power. If the battery is weak the clock may be too far off to get an initial position.

      Larry
      K7YBZ