DS18S20 as weather packet

  • Chris Snell
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2011
      I built a little waterproof tube for a DS18S20 sensor along with a custom serial cable so I now have temperature included in the position reports for my truck (NW5W-2), which is pretty cool. It would be neat if aprs.fi could display these temperature readings in graph form but I think that this data has to hit the air in the form of a weather station packet. Is there any way to get the T2-301 to occasionally send out a weather packet with the temperature reading, in addition to the usual position reports?

      Chris NW5W

      Sent from my iPad 2
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2011
        Yes, but if you only want it occasionally you'll have to do some
        scripting. Turn on 1WIREWX, set INTERVAL to 0, and use the BEACON P and
        BEACON W commands in the script to send the position and weather packets
        at the intervals you want.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2011
          On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Chris Snell <chris.snell@...> wrote:
          > I built a little waterproof tube for a DS18S20 sensor along with a custom serial
          > cable so I now have temperature included in the position reports for my truck
          > (NW5W-2), which is pretty cool.  It would be neat if aprs.fi could display these
          > temperature readings in graph form

          It can display them in graph form:

          http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/SMOKY?range=month

          Send the information as telemetry reports and you will see the
          information collected and displayed as graphs at the aprs.fi site.

          > but I think that this data has to hit the air in the form of a weather station packet.

          Nope, your internal telemetry information will be sent as telemetry in
          the telemetry reports.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2011
            > Nope, your internal telemetry information will be sent as telemetry in
            > the telemetry reports.

            But the EXTTEMP option only reports the 1-wire sensor in the status
            text, not the telemetry packet.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2011
              On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

              > But the EXTTEMP option only reports the 1-wire sensor in the status
              > text, not the telemetry packet.

              Yup... confused the DS18S20 with the LM335D output. I had a quick peek
              at the packets he was sending and saw the temp reported in the status.

              There's another feature enhancement for the OT3! 8)

            • Christopher Snell
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 21, 2011
                Thanks, Scott! I will play around with scripting and see what I can
                come up with.

                Chris