Re: [tracker2] CPM Counter telemetry with Smart Beaconing

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2011
      > I pulled down Code Warrior, but have not yet figured out how to get
      > all the bits in place to be able to build my own firmware from source
      > yet. I haven't been after it really hard either though. A little write
      > up on the process involved would be nice... I hate reinventing the
      > wheel.

      You'll need an SVN client (like TortoiseSVN) to check out the source
      code. With CodeWarrior 6.2 or 6.3 you should be able to just open the
      project and hit F7 to compile it. CodeWarrior 10 is Eclipse-based and
      is entirely different - I haven't tried compiling the T2 code with it yet.

      I just checked in all of the code last week, so it should be up to date now.

      Scott
    • Clemens Hopfer
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2011
        Hi Fred,

        On Friday 04 November 2011 15:36:13 you wrote:
        > Out of curiosity, what is your goal? Just counts? Measuring background?
        > This is one of my interest as well.

        I'm not really interested in collecting scientific data.
        What I'm using is a geiger counter kit from Jeff Keyzer (KF6PBP):
        http://mightyohm.com/geiger
        It's neither calibrated nor accurate, but I'd rather have it collecting bogus
        data in my car than not using it at all since it's a great kit.

        73 de OE1RFC,
        Clemens
      • Clemens Hopfer
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2011
          On Sunday 06 November 2011 21:29:20 you wrote:
          > [...]
          > You'll need an SVN client (like TortoiseSVN) to check out the source
          > code. With CodeWarrior 6.2 or 6.3 you should be able to just open the
          > project and hit F7 to compile it. CodeWarrior 10 is Eclipse-based and
          > is entirely different - I haven't tried compiling the T2 code with it yet.

          I guess I'll give it a try since I'm running Linux here and as far as I know
          the eclipse version should also work under Linux.
          But I'm not sure which version I have to pick, the freescale website is quite
          confusing.

          > I just checked in all of the code last week, so it should be up to date
          > now.

          sounds great, thanks.

          73 de OE1RFC,
          Clemens
        • Clemens Hopfer
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2011
            Hi James,

            On Friday 04 November 2011 14:44:30 you wrote:
            > You might be able to use a script to loop for 60 seconds, and then
            > read the accumulated count total, and store it in another variable,
            > and then clear the count. You might be able to fashion a way to come
            > up with a running average as well.

            That's what I have done now, I'm storing the counts of the last 20 sec in a
            separate counter, but I've not tested it since it's not really what I want.

            73 de OE1RFC,
            Clemens
          • Fred Hillhouse Jr
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2011
              Interesting kit! I will check it out more. I can't afford the really nice
              stuff but I get to play with it at times.

              Thanks!

              Best regards,

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 8, 2011
                That must be a fairly sensitive monitor. I wonder how it'd respond to
                the pitchblende I've got on my bookshelf. It registers around 30,000
                cpm on my counter, while the background around here is about 20 cpm.
                It's too big to fit into the well type scintillation counter I've got,
                though.

                Scott

                On 11/4/2011 7:36 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Fred Hillhouse included below]
                >
                > Greetings Clemens,
                >
                > Out of curiosity, what is your goal? Just counts? Measuring background? This
                > is one of my interest as well.
                >
                > I attached a PNG of counts over time from a radiation monitor in a fixed
                > location. The result of a pedestrian walking by with a CS137 source in their
                > pocket increased the counts and in this case to almost double. A larger
                > source would have caused more counts and a smaller source would have caused
                > less counts.
                >
                > The insets are histograms. The X is the number of channels and the Y is the
                > counts per channel. Each channel corresponds to an energy. The source in the
                > PNG will always produce counts in the same channels.
                >
                > In the test above, a standard Geiger counter was unable to detect the
                > source, since it registered a natural background of 0.02 mR/hr before and
                > during the pedestrian incident.
                >
                > If a truckload of bananas, or kitty litter, pottery, or someone that just
                > had a Barium Swallow test, went by, an increase of counts may have resulted.
                > In each case, counts probably do not tell enough of the story; the counts
                > with energy does.
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Fred, N7FMH

              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
                  We have a few detectors. They are all used to produce spectra for a wide
                  range of materials.

                  Send a sample and I can look at it. :)

                  Best regards,
                  Fred

                  That must be a fairly sensitive monitor. I wonder how it'd respond to the
                  pitchblende I've got on my bookshelf. It registers around 30,000 cpm on my
                  counter, while the background around here is about 20 cpm.
                  It's too big to fit into the well type scintillation counter I've got,
                  though.

                  Scott

                  On 11/4/2011 7:36 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                  > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Fred Hillhouse included below]
                  >
                  > Greetings Clemens,
                  >
                  > Out of curiosity, what is your goal? Just counts? Measuring
                  > background? This is one of my interest as well.
                  >
                  > I attached a PNG of counts over time from a radiation monitor in a
                  > fixed location. The result of a pedestrian walking by with a CS137
                  > source in their pocket increased the counts and in this case to almost
                  > double. A larger source would have caused more counts and a smaller
                  > source would have caused less counts.
                  >
                  > The insets are histograms. The X is the number of channels and the Y
                  > is the counts per channel. Each channel corresponds to an energy. The
                  > source in the PNG will always produce counts in the same channels.
                  >
                  > In the test above, a standard Geiger counter was unable to detect the
                  > source, since it registered a natural background of 0.02 mR/hr before
                  > and during the pedestrian incident.
                  >
                  > If a truckload of bananas, or kitty litter, pottery, or someone that
                  > just had a Barium Swallow test, went by, an increase of counts may have
                  resulted.
                  > In each case, counts probably do not tell enough of the story; the
                  > counts with energy does.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Fred, N7FMH

                • Henry Knoepfle
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 9, 2012
                    Hi Clemens,

                    Did you ever get your W6OHM Geiger counter working with the Tracker2?  I liked the kit so much after you mentioned it that I went and bought one as well.  It's a nice little unit, and it would be fun to hook it up.

                    Henry
                    KB7NIE

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 9, 2012
                      Hi Henry,

                      On Friday 10 February 2012 01:08:05 you wrote:
                      > Did you ever get your W6OHM Geiger counter working with the Tracker2?

                      I added a 3,3V regulator and a transistor for open collector output, but I
                      didn't have time yet to add the CPM output to the T2 firmware.

                      However if you set it to 1 minute output it would work.

                      > I liked the kit so much after you mentioned it that I went and bought one as
                      > well. It's a nice little unit, and it would be fun to hook it up.

                      sure, it's a nice kit. It's not really on my high-priority list since I
                      haven't even had time yet to mount my APRS antenna on my new car ;-)

                      73 de OE1RFC,
                      Clemens

                      > Henry
                      > KB7NIE
                      >
                      > On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Clemens Hopfer <datacop@...> wrote:
                      > > Hi James,
                      > >
                      > > On Friday 04 November 2011 14:44:30 you wrote:
                      > > > You might be able to use a script to loop for 60 seconds, and then
                      > > > read the accumulated count total, and store it in another variable,
                      > > > and then clear the count. You might be able to fashion a way to come
                      > > > up with a running average as well.
                      > >
                      > > That's what I have done now, I'm storing the counts of the last 20 sec in
                      > > a separate counter, but I've not tested it since it's not really what I
                      > > want.
                      > >
                      > > 73 de OE1RFC,
                      > > Clemens
                    • Henry Knoepfle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9, 2012
                        Hi Clemens,

                        I understand entirely!

                        I'd be curious to hear if and when you do get it set up.

                        73
                        Henry
                        KB7NIE