Loss of WX in APRS-IS - need more pkt separation

  • Odd Erik D
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2011
      Hi,
      Anybody that can help me on how to get more time separation between the "transmission" (beacon?)- and the WX-packet?

      Looking at the log, many wx-packets are lost. The wx-packet are sent immediately after the first packet, can this be the reason?
      2011-10-17 20:37:48 UTC: LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!/.TR.PMRa# st 12.5V 23C
      2011-10-17 20:37:48 UTC: LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!6309.73N/00753.60E_043/003g...t052P014h47b10001T2WX [Rate limited (< 5 sec)]
      2011-10-17 20:42:57 UTC: LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!/.TR.PMRa# st 13.5V 23C

      I have set up fixed transmission time to 5 min:
      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=LA5OEA-1&limit=50&view=normal. Status packet with description goes every 6 transmission.

      I looked around for a possible answer using scripts, but could not find/get any ideas there.

      This has not been a big problem earlier as there where only my digi/wx and two mobile stations transmitting + one receiving i-gateway, but the rf-activity got much higher the last months as the area now have 2 high altitude digi's and some leakage from the nabour-area.

      I have used my OT2 for a couple of years now and last weekend put up my new ADS-WS1 wx, replacing the Peet Broos 100 which got broken during winter-storms.

      Installation is ok, I just connected the wx-station to the OT2 using the 2 pins in the serial-port and 12V - no config at all. The wx has green blink every 2 sec, and the OT2 has yellow blinks every second or so.

      Appreciate any good ideas.
      73' de LA5OEA, Odd Erik.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2011
        The weather packets are sent back to back with the position packets to
        minimize overhead. I've got an item on my to-do list to allow weather
        packets to be scheduled separately.

        Scott

        On 10/17/2011 3:03 PM, Odd Erik D wrote:
        > Hi,
        > Anybody that can help me on how to get more time separation between the
        > "transmission" (beacon?)- and the WX-packet?
        >
        > Looking at the log, many wx-packets are lost. The wx-packet are sent
        > immediately after the first packet, can this be the reason?
        > 2011-10-17 20:37:48 UTC: LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!/.TR.PMRa#
        > st 12.5V 23C
        > 2011-10-17 20:37:48 UTC:
        > LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!6309.73N/00753.60E_043/003g...t052P014h47b10001T2WX
        > [Rate limited (< 5 sec)]
        > 2011-10-17 20:42:57 UTC: LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!/.TR.PMRa#
        > st 13.5V 23C
        >
        > I have set up fixed transmission time to 5 min:
        > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=LA5OEA-1&limit=50&view=normal.
        > <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=LA5OEA-1&limit=50&view=normal.> Status
        > packet with description goes every 6 transmission.
        >
        > I looked around for a possible answer using scripts, but could not
        > find/get any ideas there.
        >
        > This has not been a big problem earlier as there where only my digi/wx
        > and two mobile stations transmitting + one receiving i-gateway, but the
        > rf-activity got much higher the last months as the area now have 2 high
        > altitude digi's and some leakage from the nabour-area.
        >
        > I have used my OT2 for a couple of years now and last weekend put up my
        > new ADS-WS1 wx, replacing the Peet Broos 100 which got broken during
        > winter-storms.
        >
        > Installation is ok, I just connected the wx-station to the OT2 using the
        > 2 pins in the serial-port and 12V - no config at all. The wx has green
        > blink every 2 sec, and the OT2 has yellow blinks every second or so.
        >
        > Appreciate any good ideas.
        > 73' de LA5OEA, Odd Erik.

      • Odd Erik D
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2011
          Tnx for info - saves me time and twisting my brain ;-).
          Odd Erik

          > The weather packets are sent back to back with the position packets to
          > minimize overhead. I've got an item on my to-do list to allow weather
          > packets to be scheduled separately.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > On 10/17/2011 3:03 PM, Odd Erik D wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > Anybody that can help me on how to get more time separation between the
          > > "transmission" (beacon?)- and the WX-packet?
        • offtracks1
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011

            > The weather packets are sent back to back with the position packets to
            > minimize overhead. I've got an item on my to-do list to allow weather
            > packets to be scheduled separately.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 10/17/2011 3:03 PM, Odd Erik D wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > > Anybody that can help me on how to get more time separation between the
            > > "transmission" (beacon?)- and the WX-packet?
            > >
            > > Looking at the log, many wx-packets are lost. The wx-packet are sent
            > > immediately after the first packet, can this be the reason?
            > > 2011-10-17 20:37:48 UTC: LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!/.TR.PMRa#
            > > st 12.5V 23C
            > > 2011-10-17 20:37:48 UTC:
            > > LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!6309.73N/00753.60E_043/003g...t052P014h47b10001T2WX
            > > [Rate limited (< 5 sec)]
            > > 2011-10-17 20:42:57 UTC: LA5OEA-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA1ITA:!/.TR.PMRa#
            > > st 13.5V 23C
            > >
            > > I have set up fixed transmission time to 5 min:
            > > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=LA5OEA-1&limit=50&view=normal.
            > > <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=LA5OEA-1&limit=50&view=normal.> Status
            > > packet with description goes every 6 transmission.
            > >
            > > I looked around for a possible answer using scripts, but could not
            > > find/get any ideas there.
            > >
            > > This has not been a big problem earlier as there where only my digi/wx
            > > and two mobile stations transmitting + one receiving i-gateway, but the
            > > rf-activity got much higher the last months as the area now have 2 high
            > > altitude digi's and some leakage from the nabour-area.
            > >
            > > I have used my OT2 for a couple of years now and last weekend put up my
            > > new ADS-WS1 wx, replacing the Peet Broos 100 which got broken during
            > > winter-storms.
            > >
            > > Installation is ok, I just connected the wx-station to the OT2 using the
            > > 2 pins in the serial-port and 12V - no config at all. The wx has green
            > > blink every 2 sec, and the OT2 has yellow blinks every second or so.
            > >
            > > Appreciate any good ideas.
            > > 73' de LA5OEA, Odd Erik.

            Scott (good name)

            Setting up a new remote didi/wx station here and came across this same issue. We are planning on deploying it in the next week. Just wondering if you have a fix worked up for this yet?

            Thanks

            Scott KB7DZR
            www.kb7dzr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
              > Scott (good name)
              >
              > Setting up a new remote didi/wx station here and came across this same
              > issue. We are planning on deploying it in the next week. Just wondering
              > if you have a fix worked up for this yet?

              I'm looking at that now. Positions, status text, weather, and telemetry
              should really all be configurable separately. That shouldn't be too
              hard, but status and telemetry intervals are already stored in a packed
              format and changing it will break backward compatibility with otwincfg.

              There will also need to be commands to trigger each manually. I'll
              probably do this with special parameters to the BEACON command, like
              BEACON W for weather. That will require an extra flag or two in RAM,
              but it shouldn't be a major deal and won't break compatibility with
              anything else.

              This sort of thing will be easier in my next-generation tracker, which
              will just have an internal webserver instead of a PC-based configuration
              program.

              For the moment, I might just implement the BEACON changes. That way you
              can set the automatic rate as low as you want, and trigger the other
              beacons through scripting.

              Scott
            • Peter Summerhawk
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011

                Morning,

                Anyone ever hooked a tracker into the port in the back on the radio? And if that have can someone contact me and let me know how they did it?

                Thanks,

                Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                  > Setting up a new remote didi/wx station here and came across this same
                  > issue. We are planning on deploying it in the next week. Just wondering
                  > if you have a fix worked up for this yet?

                  Ok, I've got a fix coming out later today. BEACON now supports two
                  extra modes:

                  BEACON P sends only a position, no weather
                  BEACON W sends weather, no position

                  If you want complete control, you'll have to disable automatic
                  transmissions and use the BEACON commands in a script.

                  Scott
                • k7ybz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                    The CDM750 has been used with several types of TNC's and can be used with the OT+. The actual connector on the back of the radio is 20 pins but with an HLN9457/HLN9457A 16 pin accessory connector kit, you can grab the pins you need. This is the specified connector kit for this radio.

                    Looking at the back of the radio with the heatsink fins facing up the connector pins on the top row are odd numbers 1 through 19 from RIGHT TO LEFT. The connector pins on the bottom are even numbered 2 through 20 from RIGHT TO LEFT.

                    OT+..Function....CDM750 accessory connector
                    1....Audio Out...4 or 7 (see note below)
                    3....PTT.........5
                    5....Audio In....13
                    6....Ground......9

                    Note: Pin 4 is for Microphone Audio in at 80mV RMS for 3KHz Deviation.
                    Pin 7 is for a flat transmit audio in at 150 mV RMS for 3 KHz Deviation.

                    Larry
                    K7YBZ

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                      On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Peter Summerhawk
                      <peter.summerhawk@...> wrote:

                      > Anyone ever hooked a tracker into the port in the back on the radio?
                      > And if that have can someone contact me and let me know how they did it?

                      Are you aware of the Wiki that is used as a repository of information
                      about the Argent equipment?

                      You can find it at:

                      http://wiki.argentdata.com

                      There's a page about radio wiring diagrams as well:

                      http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Radio_Wiring

                      There's also a page that has a diagram showing the pin out connections
                      between the OT pin out and the Motorola 16 pin accessory connector:

                      http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=OT-Moto