looking for feedback on using the arduino radio shield

  • Eric Fort
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011
      Being relitively new to aprs I'm looking at a few different embedded
      options for aprs. The first option I chose was the t2-301, the next
      one I'm thinking to put together is an arduino, paired with the argent
      data radio shield for arduino and paired with a radiometrix
      tranciever. These units can be ordered on 144.39 with power outputs
      of between 10-33dbm. The question becomes how much power does one
      need for a given amount of coverage (in say southern california).
      other than just simply spending the money to try each one how can I
      get some idea of what kind of coverage I'm likely to see from a unit
      with a quarter wave antenna that is sometimes ground based and
      sometimes 500ft above ground given power levels of say 10mw, 50mw,
      500mw, or 2000mw. How can one tell what is needed in a given
      application?

      Thanks,

      Eric
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 17, 2011
        With a good antenna and reasonable height above the ground, 500 mW would
        probably be sufficient. The weather station on my roof runs 100 mW and
        normally only has to reach the IGate in the same building, but when
        that's down I've seen it hit the local digi about 20 miles away on a
        mountain.

        Scott

        On 10/14/2011 5:33 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
        > Being relitively new to aprs I'm looking at a few different embedded
        > options for aprs. The first option I chose was the t2-301, the next
        > one I'm thinking to put together is an arduino, paired with the argent
        > data radio shield for arduino and paired with a radiometrix
        > tranciever. These units can be ordered on 144.39 with power outputs
        > of between 10-33dbm. The question becomes how much power does one
        > need for a given amount of coverage (in say southern california).
        > other than just simply spending the money to try each one how can I
        > get some idea of what kind of coverage I'm likely to see from a unit
        > with a quarter wave antenna that is sometimes ground based and
        > sometimes 500ft above ground given power levels of say 10mw, 50mw,
        > 500mw, or 2000mw. How can one tell what is needed in a given
        > application?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Eric

      • Eric Fort
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 17, 2011
          Thanks for the feedback. I'm basicly looking to assemble something
          similar to the now discontinued tinytrak-4 that intigrates well with
          the arduino. this is the same radio module they used. would be kinda
          cool actually argent data offered a version of the arduino shield with
          this or a similar module pre mounted on the shield. there certainly
          is enough board space! could make a good alternative to the T2-301 in
          many cases and would make a better case for radiometrix continuing to
          supply the modules.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
            I've actually got a prototype balloon payload board here with a
            Radiometrix transceiver, and it's intended to interface easily with an
            Arduino. The software hasn't been written yet, though. I was going to
            have someone else work on the Arduino library and serial protocol, but
            they've been busy.

            Scott

            On 10/17/2011 12:43 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
            > Thanks for the feedback. I'm basicly looking to assemble something
            > similar to the now discontinued tinytrak-4 that intigrates well with
            > the arduino. this is the same radio module they used. would be kinda
            > cool actually argent data offered a version of the arduino shield with
            > this or a similar module pre mounted on the shield. there certainly
            > is enough board space! could make a good alternative to the T2-301 in
            > many cases and would make a better case for radiometrix continuing to
            > supply the modules.
            >
            > Eric
            >
            > On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
            > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
            > > With a good antenna and reasonable height above the ground, 500 mW would
            > > probably be sufficient. The weather station on my roof runs 100 mW and
            > > normally only has to reach the IGate in the same building, but when
            > > that's down I've seen it hit the local digi about 20 miles away on a
            > > mountain.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > On 10/14/2011 5:33 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
            > >> Being relitively new to aprs I'm looking at a few different embedded
            > >> options for aprs. The first option I chose was the t2-301, the next
            > >> one I'm thinking to put together is an arduino, paired with the argent
            > >> data radio shield for arduino and paired with a radiometrix
            > >> tranciever. These units can be ordered on 144.39 with power outputs
            > >> of between 10-33dbm. The question becomes how much power does one
            > >> need for a given amount of coverage (in say southern california).
            > >> other than just simply spending the money to try each one how can I
            > >> get some idea of what kind of coverage I'm likely to see from a unit
            > >> with a quarter wave antenna that is sometimes ground based and
            > >> sometimes 500ft above ground given power levels of say 10mw, 50mw,
            > >> 500mw, or 2000mw. How can one tell what is needed in a given
            > >> application?
            > >>
            > >> Thanks,
            > >>
            > >> Eric

          • Matt Cook
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
              You might want to check out the Trackunio firmware for arduino platforms.  It can use either the MX146 or HX1 RF modules, operates as a tracker only (no RX).   We've successfully flown this to 38km on our own custom hardware hitting digi's 400-500km's away with only an upside down 1/4 wave antenna.  Performance terrestrially in the back parcel shelf of the car (same antenna) have been good but not outstanding, the byonics modules that output 8W perform better in this regard but that is to be expected.

              However in the not too distant future we'll be flying a custom Tracker2 with integrated GPS and Radio Metrix UHX1 module as a complete tracker/digi off a pair of AA cells. Now that will be cool !!!  Pictures to follow once I get the hardware built and tested.

              73's

              Matthew
              VK5ZM

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
                On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Matt Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

                > However in the not too distant future we'll be flying a custom Tracker2
                > with integrated GPS and Radio Metrix UHX1 module as a complete
                > tracker/digi off a pair of AA cells.

                You've piqued my interest. I have a lot of desire to fly more than
                just a dumb tracker on the balloon payloads. I want to be able to send
                commands up to the balloon as well as pass signals through the balloon
                payload.

                Looking at the specs and the pinouts for the UHX1 though, I don't see
                an audio input where you could feed the transmit audio into the radio.
                The UHX1 has a built in 1200 baud modem, and you can get the received
                audio out of it, but I don't see the tx audio input.

                I also don't see the unit as being available in the online store...
                any idea how much for the unit?

              • Matt Cook
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
                  On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                  You've piqued my interest. I have a lot of desire to fly more than
                  just a dumb tracker on the balloon payloads. I want to be able to send
                  commands up to the balloon as well as pass signals through the balloon
                  payload.

                  Thought it might.   Yes this is exactly what we are trying to do too.  At the moment we rely on mobile broadband internet to be able to see all of our tracking vehicles when we are recovering a balloon (http://spacenear.us).  I'd like to see this change over to APRS as a backup, so the balloon will be a digi AND tracker in one.  Being able to script it to do things and command it over air is also very cool.   Now you know why I spent the time to be able to build the Tracker2 code :)

                  Looking at the specs and the pinouts for the UHX1 though, I don't see
                  an audio input where you could feed the transmit audio into the radio.
                  The UHX1 has a built in 1200 baud modem, and you can get the received
                  audio out of it, but I don't see the tx audio input.

                  You are able to feed analog (approx 500mVp-p) into the TXD pin, it's both analog and digital.  The internal modem is disabled, radio is set to channel one by default which is loaded with 145.175MHz in our case.  Complete 500mW transceiver in a lightweight package that runs of 5V.

                  We're using a TPS61200 boost inverter capable of 5V@600mA from two lithium AA cells for a power source, this puppy can suck these cells down to 0.35V/cell without batting an eyelid.   Current digi run times are around 12-14 hours hammering the unit with 1 packet every 5 seconds, more than enough for a 4hr flight.  I've just written my first script to disable the digi when the altitude is less than 1000' to save on power and modify the beacon rate to allow for easy recovery.

                  I've still got alot of work to do with the GPS and turn this around to a poll mode so I can control the power usage a little more, this is our greatest power user.  The new uBlox NEO6 modules are fantastic in HAB when used in this manner.

                  I also don't see the unit as being available in the online store...
                  any idea how much for the unit?

                  They are just a shade over US$140 per unit, so not cheap.  However it is lighter than all of the Chinese hand-helds I've been trying to strip down.   With all of the custom parts on these boards, all up each APRS digi will set us back US$300 and I've got to build three :(

                  73's

                  Matthew
                  VK5ZM
                • Eric Fort
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
                    look at the radiometrix BiMh-144.39-10 modules.  I was recently quoted with instock availability qty 1 at a price of 69.30.  a group buy of these would likely drop the price some..  thats 500mw of tx and recieve and the size just nicely fits on the arduino radio shield which I have inquired about getting the existing design files so as to modify for this use.  total cost for a bidirectional 500mw tracker... circa 100usd.

                    AF6EP

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
                      Unfortunately for us in Australia we use 145.175MHz for APRS and a BIMh module on the right channel would cost me US$200 in 1 piece qty :-(  It was cheaper to purchase the synthesised module that can go anywhere between 144-147MHz in my case.  If you're lucky to be doing APRS on 144.39 then you've got far more cheaper options available to you.  There is also the SHX1 module to look at too.

                      Matthew
                      VK5ZM

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
                        interesting they wanted that much as it's a simple crystal change I believe.  only difference might be a longer lead time but I would not think that would justify $140 usd more... or maybe you're including vat or some such that we don't deal with here.

                        AF6EP

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
                          It's a very odd sliding scale that Radiometrix use for custom one off frequencies for any module.  We don't pay GST on these modules (c.f VAT or sales tax) provided we're under A$1000 in value.  Radiometrix pricing effectively starts at US$200/module and slides down to the real cost by the time you get to 200 pieces.  That is if they don't already make said module on the frequency you're looking for.

                          There are tons of radiometrix modules already on 144.39MHz, so you've a lot more choice than we do down here.  I was looking at custom NTX2 modules (25mW) until we found that HX1 modules (300mW) come standard off the shelf on 145.175MHz.  You are quite right it's only a crystal change.  The HX1 modules on 145.175MHz are a special build and have a three week leadtime.  So we've been using these HX1 modules for quite some time instead.  However all of the single frequency transceiver modules don't come in our size :(

                          Matthew
                          VK5ZM

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
                            My application sort of requires both aprs rx and tx and many of the functions of the radio shield look quite apealing for my use.  (it will spend much of it's life in a fixed wing model aircraft where outbound messaging will provide live telemetry and inbound messaging will be used for telecommand such as send telemetry now or send alert on arival at waypoint.)

                            Scott, want to fill me in a bit more either here or via private email what you've got thus far for your version of the arduino compatible board.  I may be interested in helping with the arduino side of things ton get it done.  ultimately I just want a tracker that's reasonably priced. bidirectional, and interfaces to arduino easily.  I think it can be done for circa $100 including radio on 144.39.  please let me know

                            Eric
                            AF6EP

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 19, 2011
                              > Scott, want to fill me in a bit more either here or via private email
                              > what you've got thus far for your version of the arduino compatible
                              > board. I may be interested in helping with the arduino side of things

                              Not a lot. The first prototype was built with a JM60 MCU running the
                              OpenTracker USB firmware. Due to code space limitations I'll probably
                              replace it with the pin-compatible JM128 running the T3 firmware. The
                              port is about 90% functional right now - the only major feature not
                              working right is the ability to update firmware through the bootloader.
                              The Coldfire linker doesn't support ROM libraries so I can't use the
                              same approach I used with the OTUSB. I'm hoping to have it working
                              today or tomorrow.

                              The Arduino interface is just a TTL level serial port that will run a
                              special interface protocol. An Arduino library will provide an API for
                              the tracker functions, with easy access to things like position data and
                              callbacks for events like received packets, with both raw and parsed
                              data. But so far none of the software is done.