RE: [tracker2] Using OT2 in KISS mode

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
      No, KISS will work at any baud rate now.  You just need to make sure you set it.  If you're running the new firmware, set AMODE KISS and ABAUD 9600 to run KISS at 9600 on the primary port.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
        I'm still fighting this and not having much luck :( I am up to date on all the firmware, and I am using config 2 in KISS mode. I have amode set to KISS, and abaud set to 9600. I have the ax25 module loaded, and ran kissattach successfully.  Running listen from the CLI yields nothing, yet if I open up minicom and shoot a packet from my TH-D7, I do see garbage, so I'm assuming something is there. I swear there has got to be some small overlooked thing I have not found yet.....

        Ideas and suggestions appreciated!

        73's
        Stephen
        N1VLV

        --
        J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
        joe@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
          Got Xastir loaded?  Try running it in KISS TNC mode, see if it can talk to the T2 directly.  I'm no expert on Linux AX.25, and I had some difficulty myself getting it set up (with a KPC-3), but that was so long ago I've forgotten what I had to do.  I think my biggest problem was the custom kernel build, since I kept forgetting the oddball IDE controller and various other critical bits.

          Scott

          on 12/6/2006 9:39 AM Stephen Brown Jr said the following:
          > Here is my /etc/ax25/axports:
          > n1vlv-debian: ~# cat /etc/ax25/axports
          > # /etc/ax25/axports
          > #
          > # The format of this file is:
          > #
          > # name callsign speed paclen window description
          > #
          > 1 N1VLV-8 9600 255 2 145.010 MHz (1200 bps)

          I think I recall something about KISS mode on the T2 running only at 4800
          bps, so you probably should have something like:

          1 N1VLV-8 4800 255 2 145.010 MHz (1200 bps)

          --
          J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
          joe@lightningflash. net
          http://kj5o. lightningflash. net
          Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
          cookies.

        • Lance Cotton
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2006
            Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
            > I'm still fighting this and not having much luck :( I am up to date on
            > all the firmware, and I am using config 2 in KISS mode. I have amode set
            > to KISS, and abaud set to 9600. I have the ax25 module loaded, and ran
            > kissattach successfully. Running listen from the CLI yields nothing,
            > yet if I open up minicom and shoot a packet from my TH-D7, I do see
            > garbage, so I'm assuming something is there. I swear there has got to be
            > some small overlooked thing I have not found yet.....
            >
            > Ideas and suggestions appreciated!

            Again, just guessing, but I would check to see if the rest of the
            modules are loaded. I think you would need: crc_ccitt, ax25, and mkiss.
            For your 2.4.33 kernel, obviously ax25 is already there.

            I would think that you'd get an error if you ran kissattach without the
            mkiss module loaded, but perhaps it doesn't. Look through
            /var/log/messages when you run kissattach to see if any errors show up
            there.

            I've set up ax25/kiss networking with KPC-3+, Elcom's mUSB-TNT, and
            TNC-X, on both SuSE 9 and Ubuntu 6.06, but it's been so long ago now
            that I may have forgotten any troubles I ran into.

            I have had a lot of luck scanning through /var/log/messages for clues
            about kernel modules loading (especially for the BP-96 modem from Baycom)

            -Lance KJ5O

            --
            J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
            joe@...