Re: [tracker2] help wiring t2-301, nuvi 350, computer

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
      Depends on whether you're wiring directly to the T2-301 or if you're
      using the yellow and black cable.

      Scott

      On 10/7/2011 6:04 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > could someone provide a schematic for hooking the nuvi 350/Garmin cable
      > P/N 010-10813-00 and a computer to the correct serial ports on the
      > T2-301. Much appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Eric

    • Eric Fort
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
        not sure what you mean the yellow and black cable....  I also don't see how one would connect wiring directly to the nuvi without some kind of nuvi supported usb serial adaptor as it seems to me that the nuvi appears to have usb host capabilities on at least one of it's usb ports (the one on the rear).  The garmin cable I have plugs into the rear usb port and gives serial data.  part number in original email for reference.

        Eric
        AF6EP

        On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
        Depends on whether you're wiring directly to the T2-301 or if you're
        using the yellow and black cable.

        Scott

        On 10/7/2011 6:04 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > could someone provide a schematic for hooking the nuvi 350/Garmin cable
        > P/N 010-10813-00 and a computer to the correct serial ports on the
        > T2-301.  Much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Eric

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
           tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • seerdman
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
          Great accessory:

          https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=125&osCsid=87a16dbd9fd8a90c2559ce3da103a8b7

          Steve, KF7MXS

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2011
            > not sure what you mean the yellow and black cable.... I also don't see
            > how one would connect wiring directly to the nuvi without some kind of

            The serial+power cable listed in the tracker accessories. It provides a
            power lead and a serial connection that matches the OT2m's pinout.

            > nuvi supported usb serial adaptor as it seems to me that the nuvi
            > appears to have usb host capabilities on at least one of it's usb ports
            > (the one on the rear). The garmin cable I have plugs into the rear usb
            > port and gives serial data. part number in original email for reference.

            Yes, you need the 010-10813-00 cable. You can wire it up per Garmin's
            specification (yellow to pin 2, white to pin 3, black to pin 5) if
            you're using the serial+power cable. If not, I'd have to look up the
            pinouts. The nuvi does not have USB host capability - the FMI cable has
            an ID resistor that puts the port into a 9600 baud serial mode, and the
            cable contains a level shifter and inverter.

            Scott
          • k7ybz
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2011
              Eric,

              Unless you bought a Nuvi-350 that has been modified, the rear mini-usb port on the cradle is ONLY wired for power. The D+ and D- pins are not connected in the factory version.

              The mini-usb port on the side of the Nuvi-350 is the only one capable of data. In use, you plug the FMI cable (Your 010-10813-00 cable) into the side of the Nuvi and with a serial connector attached to the bare wires, plug that into the yellow/black T2-301 adapter cable. You must apply power to the socket on the back of the mounting cradle.

              If you do not have a yellow/black adapter cable, then you need to make one so you can use a computer along with plugging in the Nuvi and having power to the T2-301. The pinout of the T2-301 is different than the other Tracker products. Here is the pinout of the T2-301:

              Pin Function
              1 Port B in
              2 Port A out
              3 +5V out
              4 GND
              5 Power in (9-15VDC)
              6 IRQ/Counter in
              7 1-wire bus
              8 Port A in
              9 Port B out

              The info can also be found here:
              http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/T2-301

              The FMI cable is wired as follows:
              Yellow -- to Port B in
              White --- to Port B output
              Black --- to GND

              The console of the T2-301 is only on Port A so this is the port your PC must be connected to.

              If you are using the YELLOW/BLACK adapter cable, then follow the wiring as described here and use a null modem adapter for the PC:

              Pin Function
              1 No Connection
              2 Port A Data In
              3 Port A Data Out
              4 +5v Power Out
              5 Ground
              6 No Connection
              7 Port B Data Out
              8 Port B Data In
              9 No Connection

              As an additional note, DO NOT USE THE +5V Power Out to power the Nuvi as it cannot supply sufficient current when in the charging mode. This was meant for a GPS puck such as the GPS-18 LVC which draws 60 mA @ 5.0V. The Nuvi can draw up to 500 mA when charging.

              Larry
              K7YBZ

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

              > not sure what you mean the yellow and black cable.... I also don't see how
              > one would connect wiring directly to the nuvi without some kind of nuvi
              > supported usb serial adaptor as it seems to me that the nuvi appears to have
              > usb host capabilities on at least one of it's usb ports (the one on the
              > rear). The garmin cable I have plugs into the rear usb port and gives
              > serial data. part number in original email for reference.
              >
              > Eric
              > AF6EP
            • Eric Fort
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2011
                So the host computer tty can attach to pins 5,7,8 on the T2-301 Serial
                + Power Cable and the 010-10813-00 cable connects to pins 2,3,5 of
                the T2-301 Serial + Power Cable, I.E. port A, GPS serial Data &
                port B command and messaging, correct?

                Eric
                AF6EP

                On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                > > not sure what you mean the yellow and black cable.... I also don't see
                > > how one would connect wiring directly to the nuvi without some kind of
                >
                > The serial+power cable listed in the tracker accessories. It provides a
                > power lead and a serial connection that matches the OT2m's pinout.
                >
                > > nuvi supported usb serial adaptor as it seems to me that the nuvi
                > > appears to have usb host capabilities on at least one of it's usb ports
                > > (the one on the rear). The garmin cable I have plugs into the rear usb
                > > port and gives serial data. part number in original email for reference.
                >
                > Yes, you need the 010-10813-00 cable. You can wire it up per Garmin's
                > specification (yellow to pin 2, white to pin 3, black to pin 5) if
                > you're using the serial+power cable. If not, I'd have to look up the
                > pinouts. The nuvi does not have USB host capability - the FMI cable has
                > an ID resistor that puts the port into a 9600 baud serial mode, and the
                > cable contains a level shifter and inverter.
                >
                > Scott

              • Eric Fort
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2011
                  Good info and interesting, I just figured that the nuvi provided usb host capabilities and the cable was an adapter, now I know better.... that cable was about $30 for a basic usb cable with a resistor.  So power to the nuvi through the cradle and serial via the side mini-usb yhat's really serial, yellow/black cable to t2-301 and split it out to computer and nuvi, correct?

                  Eric
                  AF6EP

                • k7ybz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2011
                    No. Just the opposite. Port A (pins 2, 3, and 5) is the command port which connects to the computer. Port B (pins 8, 7, and 5) will connect to the Nuvi through the FMI cable if you are going to have both the Nuvi and computer connected at the same time.

                    Larry
                    K7YBZ

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

                    > So the host computer tty can attach to pins 5,7,8 on the T2-301 Serial
                    > + Power Cable and the 010-10813-00 cable connects to pins 2,3,5 of
                    > the T2-301 Serial + Power Cable, I.E. port A, GPS serial Data &
                    > port B command and messaging, correct?
                    >
                    > Eric
                    > AF6EP
                  • k7ybz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 11, 2011
                      That is correct.

                      Just an FYI. The connector on the side is a USB port and can be used to connect to a computer for downloading routes and waypoints with Mapsource. It is also used for backup of any routes and waypoints you want to save since the Nuvi will appear to the PC as a storage device.

                      You can connect the supplied AC charger to the side port and charge the Nuvi. There is a resistor divider between the ID pin and the V+ and V- pins in that cable to let the Nuvi know what device has been connected.

                      Garmin's use of the ID pin to identify its own cables is not compliant with the USB specification so you need to be careful of what you connect to the Nuvi.

                      Larry
                      K7YBZ

                    • Eric Fort
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011
                        I'm still a bit confused in wiring the cables.  I have the yellow/black cable.  The yellow connector goes to the T2-301 and Black connector goes to the GPS and computer, correct?  also I'm trying to build a Y cable that connects to the computer and nuvi350 simultaneously.  I have the following so far, could someone help complete the diagram? thanks.

                        DE9F Nuvi350 FMI cable.

                        2 - yel
                        3 - wht
                        5 - blk

                        is this correct?  what pin does (yel - pin 2) on the FMI cable connect to on what connector of the yel/blk cable? (wht - pin 3) to where..., (blk - pin 5) to pin 5?? where?

                        Thanks

                        Eric
                        AF6EP