Broken packets when using empty path

  • notrobbage
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
      I have VK6RN-3 configured to alternate paths. Each path is approximately 15 minutes. Profile 1 path is "WIDE2-2" and P2 path is empty. The idea was to keep the wide beacon to every 30 minutes and a local beacon every alternate 15 minutes which won't be digipeated.
      Beacons using the P1 path are good.
      Beacons using the P2 path are broken and look like this monitoring over RF with AGWPE:

       1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via -8 <I R1 S6 pid=31 Len=27 >[10:24:16]
      52,167,254,000,000,00000010

      The header is quite broken and isn't a UI. The payload appears to be the remains of a telemetry report. It's easy enough to replace the empty path with "WIDE1" or similar but I think it needs fixing anway. The latest firmware is installed.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
        On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM, notrobbage <vk6ufo@...> wrote:

        > Beacons using the P1 path are good.
        > Beacons using the P2 path are broken and look like this monitoring over RF with AGWPE:
        >
        >  1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via -8 <I R1 S6 pid=31 Len=27 >[10:24:16]
        > 52,167,254,000,000,00000010
        >
        > The header is quite broken and isn't a UI. The payload appears to be the
        > remains of a telemetry report. It's easy enough to replace the empty path
        > with "WIDE1" or similar but I think it needs fixing anway. The latest firmware
        > is installed.

        To be certain that the outgoing packet is mangled, you'll need to
        remove the possibility that you are just seeing packets being mangled
        on the RF channel.

        Can you move to another frequency where there are no other stations
        operating, and capture the same data? You'd also need to use a second
        separate station to capture data to prove that the receiving station
        isn't at fault.

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
          On 09/10/11 00:45, James Ewen wrote:

          > Beacons using the P1 path are good.
          > Beacons using the P2 path are broken and look like this monitoring over RF with AGWPE:
          >
          >  1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via -8 <I R1 S6 pid=31 Len=27 >[10:24:16]
          > 52,167,254,000,000,00000010
          >
          > The header is quite broken and isn't a UI. The payload appears to be the
          > remains of a telemetry report. It's easy enough to replace the empty path
          > with "WIDE1" or similar but I think it needs fixing anway. The latest firmware
          > is installed.

          To be certain that the outgoing packet is mangled, you'll need to
          remove the possibility that you are just seeing packets being mangled
          on the RF channel.

          Hi James, only every second beacon is broken. And only from VK6RN-3. I changed the Profile 2 path from "WIDE1" to empty on Friday and the bad packets started Friday.
          I changed it to confirm the issue because it was an issue a few months back. At that time I put "WIDE1" in the path to fix it.  Since then I did a firmware update and I am checking to see if it still happens.

          Trimmed down log. Every 15 minutes two good ones, every 15 minutes two bad ones

           1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via -7,,9-9 <I P R1 S1 pid=30>[08:17:18]

           1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via -12 <I R1 S6 pid=31 Len=27 >[08:17:18]
          50,167,254,000,000,00000010

           1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via WIDE2-2 <UI pid=F0 Len=21 >[08:32:30]
          !F^\..keZV# stPHG5320
           1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via WIDE2-2 <UI pid=F0 Len=34 >[08:32:31]
          T#170,150,166,254,000,000,00000010

           1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via -7,,9-9 <I P R1 S1 pid=30>[08:47:26]

           1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via -8 <I R1 S6 pid=31 Len=27 >[08:47:27]
          50,166,254,000,000,00000010

           1:Fm VK6RN-3 To APOT21 Via WIDE2-2 <UI pid=F0 Len=21 >[09:02:21]
          !F^\..keZV# stPHG5320

          --
          Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011
            Fixed it! An update will be coming later today.

            The problem was that the 'end of address' bit has always been
            pre-encoded as part of the source callsign. I've changed it to be set
            on the fly now.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011
              On 03/11/11 05:23, Scott Miller wrote:
              > Fixed it! An update will be coming later today.
              >
              > The problem was that the 'end of address' bit has always been
              > pre-encoded as part of the source callsign. I've changed it to be set
              > on the fly now.

              Good stuff. I've been using an alternate path of "NULL" for a couple of
              weeks. :-)

              --
              Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN