Using OT2 in KISS mode

  • Stephen Brown Jr
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
      I have been going crazy trying to get this to work. I'm obviously missing something here, but I have exhausted all of my resources and I'm hoping someone here with some experience on Debian/Ubuntu linux can help me out.

      I have tried to get this working on 2 different machines, one is my main desktop which is running Ubuntu 6.06 and a 2.6 kernel. I also have a standalone bare bones debian box that is running a custom 2.4.33 kernel. Both machines have all the AX.25 stuff loaded(libax25, ax25 tools, etc), and I compiled AX.25 support directly into the 2.4.33 kernel on the debian box so I didnt have to deal with modules etc. I put the TNC into KISS mode and power cycled, then edited configuration files:

      Here is my /etc/ax25/axports:
      n1vlv-debian:~# cat /etc/ax25/axports
      # /etc/ax25/axports
      #
      # The format of this file is:
      #
      # name callsign speed paclen window description
      #
      1       N1VLV-8         9600    255     2       145.010 MHz (1200  bps)

      And commented out every line except this one in ax25d.conf:
      [N1VLV-8 VIA 1]
      NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
      default  * * * * * *  - root  /usr/sbin/node    node

      I then ran kissattach and started AX25d and I got a message saying there was a device succesfully bound to ax0(or something like that, Im at work at the moment, so I'm going off of memory) I tried to connect to one of our local packet nodes using the command: call 1 hmv and nothing happens, it just hangs saying Trying and does not key the radio. In command mode it appears to work just fine, I've been able to digipeat my own packets from my handheld etc.

      If anyone could help or offer some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

      73's
      Stephen
      N1VLV

    • J. Lance Cotton
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
        on 12/6/2006 9:39 AM Stephen Brown Jr said the following:
        > Here is my /etc/ax25/axports:
        > n1vlv-debian:~# cat /etc/ax25/axports
        > # /etc/ax25/axports
        > #
        > # The format of this file is:
        > #
        > # name callsign speed paclen window description
        > #
        > 1 N1VLV-8 9600 255 2 145.010 MHz (1200 bps)

        I think I recall something about KISS mode on the T2 running only at 4800
        bps, so you probably should have something like:

        1 N1VLV-8 4800 255 2 145.010 MHz (1200 bps)

        --
        J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
        joe@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
          I'm running Debian with a custom 2.4.22 kernel (yeah, it's been awhile).  From my axports:

          aprs            N1VG            9600    255     2       144.39 APRS
          I have nothing in ax25d.conf.  For startup I use:

          kissattach /dev/ttyS0 aprs 192.168.144.39
          With my T2 on port ttyS0, of course.  Can you watch for KISS output in a terminal program?  If I watch mine in minicom, I can at least see garbage and the readable portions of packet payloads.  After running kissattach, try the 'listen' command - it should show you any incoming traffic.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
            No, KISS will work at any baud rate now.  You just need to make sure you set it.  If you're running the new firmware, set AMODE KISS and ABAUD 9600 to run KISS at 9600 on the primary port.

            Scott

            joe@lightningflash. net

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
              I'm still fighting this and not having much luck :( I am up to date on all the firmware, and I am using config 2 in KISS mode. I have amode set to KISS, and abaud set to 9600. I have the ax25 module loaded, and ran kissattach successfully.  Running listen from the CLI yields nothing, yet if I open up minicom and shoot a packet from my TH-D7, I do see garbage, so I'm assuming something is there. I swear there has got to be some small overlooked thing I have not found yet.....

              Ideas and suggestions appreciated!

              73's
              Stephen
              N1VLV

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
                Got Xastir loaded?  Try running it in KISS TNC mode, see if it can talk to the T2 directly.  I'm no expert on Linux AX.25, and I had some difficulty myself getting it set up (with a KPC-3), but that was so long ago I've forgotten what I had to do.  I think my biggest problem was the custom kernel build, since I kept forgetting the oddball IDE controller and various other critical bits.

                Scott

                on 12/6/2006 9:39 AM Stephen Brown Jr said the following:
                > Here is my /etc/ax25/axports:
                > n1vlv-debian: ~# cat /etc/ax25/axports
                > # /etc/ax25/axports
                > #
                > # The format of this file is:
                > #
                > # name callsign speed paclen window description
                > #
                > 1 N1VLV-8 9600 255 2 145.010 MHz (1200 bps)

                I think I recall something about KISS mode on the T2 running only at 4800
                bps, so you probably should have something like:

                1 N1VLV-8 4800 255 2 145.010 MHz (1200 bps)

                --
                J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
                joe@lightningflash. net
                http://kj5o. lightningflash. net
                Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
                cookies.

              • Lance Cotton
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2006
                  Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
                  > I'm still fighting this and not having much luck :( I am up to date on
                  > all the firmware, and I am using config 2 in KISS mode. I have amode set
                  > to KISS, and abaud set to 9600. I have the ax25 module loaded, and ran
                  > kissattach successfully. Running listen from the CLI yields nothing,
                  > yet if I open up minicom and shoot a packet from my TH-D7, I do see
                  > garbage, so I'm assuming something is there. I swear there has got to be
                  > some small overlooked thing I have not found yet.....
                  >
                  > Ideas and suggestions appreciated!

                  Again, just guessing, but I would check to see if the rest of the
                  modules are loaded. I think you would need: crc_ccitt, ax25, and mkiss.
                  For your 2.4.33 kernel, obviously ax25 is already there.

                  I would think that you'd get an error if you ran kissattach without the
                  mkiss module loaded, but perhaps it doesn't. Look through
                  /var/log/messages when you run kissattach to see if any errors show up
                  there.

                  I've set up ax25/kiss networking with KPC-3+, Elcom's mUSB-TNT, and
                  TNC-X, on both SuSE 9 and Ubuntu 6.06, but it's been so long ago now
                  that I may have forgotten any troubles I ran into.

                  I have had a lot of luck scanning through /var/log/messages for clues
                  about kernel modules loading (especially for the BP-96 modem from Baycom)

                  -Lance KJ5O