Re: [tracker2] Anyone tried using OT2 with a PowerSwitchTail

  • djhuff@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2011
      Yes, I understand the tracker equipment runs on 12V. Mine at home is running fine.

      However, I was thinking of using this on the power control output pin.  using a manual POWER ON/OFF  command over the air would avoid me having to drive all the way out to the repeater site to power cycle equipment.  And using an isolated 120V device means I do not have to run 120 into the OT2m.  Having a digipeater as a poor mans burglar alarm and temp sensor saves me lots of effort.
      Dave W0IM

      From:        James Ewen <ve6srv@...>
      To:        tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Date:        09/30/2011 11:12 AM
      Subject:        Re: [tracker2] Anyone tried using OT2 with a PowerSwitchTail
      Sent by:        tracker2@yahoogroups.com

      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM, <djhuff@...> wrote:

      > I have an APRS installation that has to look neat enough to
      > keep electricians happy.  So has anyone tried using a OT2 or
      > OT2M with a PowerSwitchTail II ?
      > <
      http://powerswitchtail.com/default.aspx>

      I haven't used such a device, but perhaps you might enlighten us as to
      what it is you are using this powerswitch tail for with an OT2.

      Generally the OT2 connects to a radio, which is connected to an
      antenna. The radio and OT2 most likely run off of a 12 volt source.
      What are you doing with the 120 volt switch?

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2011
        Aha, so you are switching other equipment on and off with the POWER
        command. Have a look at the photos section of the Yahoo group to see
        the I/O that I have on my digipeaters. There's also a quick hack job
        page describing it a bit on the wiki. It's not linked in anywhere yet,
        but you can find it searching on "Site Telemetry". I brought the
        switched power out of the OT2 and am driving a relay with it. This is
        just to make it a little more fool proof, in case someone else tries
        to connect into the output. The OT2 contacts are connected directly to
        the supply voltage the OT2 runs on, and if someone were to connect
        something other than 12 volts to it, the magic smoke might escape.

        Hopefully you are thinking about switching other equipment with the
        power cord, and not cycling power to the OT2 itself. You'll be
        shooting yourself in the foot with that trick.