Re: OUTPUT1 command/pin

  • Dion
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
      Im actually using a T2-301, I should have said that in the previous message.

      Anyway, I checked out the schematic and found the output that drives the power switch and metered that while sending the CMD POWER ON/OFF commands and it does what I want it to.. Just have to bring that signal out to the DB9 so I can use it to drive a high side switch and I'll be set..

      Thanks for the idea..

      Dion
      VK7DB

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
        The T2-301 has a space for a VN920 (or VN820 depending on the board
        revision) on-board, but it's set up to power the radio itself. If you
        use that, you can lift the trace that provides power from the VN920 and
        route it elsewhere. I've used that for balloon cut-downs.

        Scott

        On 9/12/2011 2:01 AM, Dion wrote:
        > Im actually using a T2-301, I should have said that in the previous message.
        >
        > Anyway, I checked out the schematic and found the output that drives the
        > power switch and metered that while sending the CMD POWER ON/OFF
        > commands and it does what I want it to.. Just have to bring that signal
        > out to the DB9 so I can use it to drive a high side switch and I'll be set..
        >
        > Thanks for the idea..
        >
        > Dion
        > VK7DB

        > James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Dion <vk7ybi@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > I have a Tracker2 and a ADS-SR1 co-sited and would like to be able
        > > > to remotely completely remove power to the SR1 and radio when noone
        > > > is around to use it.
        > >
        > > Use the POWER command to control the output of the onboard solid state
        > > relay. The high powered MOSFET is good for switching up to 35 amps
        > > according to the datasheet.
        > >
        > > Open up the case and have a look for the 4 great big solder pads...
        > > you can see them in the image I uploaded to the yahoogroup photos
        > > area.

        > > I am using the output to control an outboard relay for some possible
        > > multi-amp switching, and the input holes I'm using to run some wires
        > > to the back side of the board to pick up a couple connection points
        > > that I wanted access to...
        > >
        > > The purpose behind these pads is to be able to control a high power
        > > device like a radio at a solar site where you don't want the heavy
        > > draw on all the time. A buddy uses his to control the power to his
        > > crossband repeater at his solar powered cabin. On the way out he sends
        > > a power on command and the crossbander comes to life so he can chat on
        > > the distant repeaters while on the way to the cabin.
        > >
        > > --
        > > James
        > > VE6SRV

      • Dion
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2011
          What I ended up doing was cutting the track on the T2 board at pin 6 on the header that goes to the 9 pin D connector of the 301. I then connected pin 6 to the solder pad that would control the VN920. I soldered a male and female 9 pin D connector back to back so I had easy access to pin 6 on the 301. Pin 6 drives the gate of a 2N7000 which switches a high side FET to power the PX-777 and ADS-SR1. Works well..

          Dion..