Re: gtrans garmin to kenwood cable

  • Somesan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
      ok. i would apreciate that.
      can you explain another thing to me.
      the fmi to nmea convertor cable for OT2 is the same whith the gtrans cable for for kenwood whith the diference of the end db9 connector or the gtrans cable is totaly diferrent from the ot2?
      in other words can i use the Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable for both OT2 and tm-d710 if i corectly install de db9 connector?
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
        My understanding is that the OT2 converter cable keeps the Nuvi in
        Garmin native protocol mode and also supports the FMI for missaging.

        The GTRANS cable for the Kenwoods actually converts the Garmin protocol
        to original NMEA for use in ANY NMEA-expecting application. It also
        translates the Kenwood waypoint output NMEA sentences back to Garmin
        mode for display on the Nuvi. FMI messaging is lost in the translation
        however, since NMEA doesn't have any sentences to support it (and the
        Kenwoods wouldn't speak such sentences if the GTRANS supported them).

        (and now owner of one of each of the cables and two Nuvi350s)

        On 9/8/2011 6:33 AM, Somesan wrote:
        > ok. i would apreciate that.
        > can you explain another thing to me.
        > the fmi to nmea convertor cable for OT2 is the same whith the gtrans cable for for kenwood whith the diference of the end db9 connector or the gtrans cable is totaly diferrent from the ot2?
        > in other words can i use the Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable for both OT2 and tm-d710 if i corectly install de db9 connector?

      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
          the garmin data cable only converts ttl to rs232. the ot2m actually does the translations itself in firmware.

          the gtrans cable actually translates the garmin binary to nmea at rs232 levels.

          WF5X

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
            hello,
            thank you all for answering to my questions.
            now i understand it.
            Scott if you don't forget please lett me know when you know something about the gtrans cable stock.
            73
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2011
              On 9/8/2011 1:31 PM, Somesan wrote:
              > hello,
              > thank you all for answering to my questions.
              > now i understand it.
              > Scott if you don't forget please lett me know when you know something
              > about the gtrans cable stock.

              We've got boards ready to go, but we ran out of cases while I was on
              vacation. Should have more in soon.