Re: [tracker2] gtrans garmin to kenwood cable

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2011
      For the nuvi 350, you want the GTRANS-KW cable. I'm still out of town
      until late tomorrow (but finally back in touch with the outside world)
      so I'm not sure what our stock level is.

      Sounds like the email system is having trouble. I'll check it out when
      I get back.

      Scott

      On 9/5/2011 10:51 AM, Somesan wrote:
      > hello,
      > does anyone know if Argentdata has gtrans garmin to nmea adapter for
      > kenwood tm-d710 or th-d72?
      > i send an e-mail to sales but no answer

    • Somesan
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
        ok. i would apreciate that.
        can you explain another thing to me.
        the fmi to nmea convertor cable for OT2 is the same whith the gtrans cable for for kenwood whith the diference of the end db9 connector or the gtrans cable is totaly diferrent from the ot2?
        in other words can i use the Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable for both OT2 and tm-d710 if i corectly install de db9 connector?
      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
          My understanding is that the OT2 converter cable keeps the Nuvi in
          Garmin native protocol mode and also supports the FMI for missaging.

          The GTRANS cable for the Kenwoods actually converts the Garmin protocol
          to original NMEA for use in ANY NMEA-expecting application. It also
          translates the Kenwood waypoint output NMEA sentences back to Garmin
          mode for display on the Nuvi. FMI messaging is lost in the translation
          however, since NMEA doesn't have any sentences to support it (and the
          Kenwoods wouldn't speak such sentences if the GTRANS supported them).

          (and now owner of one of each of the cables and two Nuvi350s)

          On 9/8/2011 6:33 AM, Somesan wrote:
          > ok. i would apreciate that.
          > can you explain another thing to me.
          > the fmi to nmea convertor cable for OT2 is the same whith the gtrans cable for for kenwood whith the diference of the end db9 connector or the gtrans cable is totaly diferrent from the ot2?
          > in other words can i use the Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable for both OT2 and tm-d710 if i corectly install de db9 connector?

        • Randy Love
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
            the garmin data cable only converts ttl to rs232. the ot2m actually does the translations itself in firmware.

            the gtrans cable actually translates the garmin binary to nmea at rs232 levels.

            WF5X

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
              hello,
              thank you all for answering to my questions.
              now i understand it.
              Scott if you don't forget please lett me know when you know something about the gtrans cable stock.
              73
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2011
                On 9/8/2011 1:31 PM, Somesan wrote:
                > hello,
                > thank you all for answering to my questions.
                > now i understand it.
                > Scott if you don't forget please lett me know when you know something
                > about the gtrans cable stock.

                We've got boards ready to go, but we ran out of cases while I was on
                vacation. Should have more in soon.