T2-301 Jumper for GPS

  • Blake Raab - N4BWR
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2011
      The product page for the GT-320FW GPS receiver says "on the OpenTracker+ and Tracker2 the '12-5' jumper should be set to '5'". Is this a physical jumper on the board? Can you give me some suggestions on finding it? I opened the case, but I can't see it. The components are pretty small, so maybe I'm just missing it.

      Also, if I can throw another question in, for initial setup with commands like SETPOWER, where do you run those? I know you can send APRS messages to change things, but I figured there would be a way to do it directly.
    • seerdman
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 25, 2011
        I don't think there are any jumpers that need to be set on the T2-301. The OpenTracker+ and Tracker2 are different products. The lines can get a little blurry at first between the information available for the Tracker2 and T2-301 because there's not a manual written *exclusively* for the T2-301.

        Most of the initial T2 profile setup is done using the otwincfg program (e.g., you can set the power levels for profiles there), but you can use specific commands from the "Commands Reference" section of the manual such as "SETPOWER" by connecting the powered T2-301 to a PC serial port with a null modem adapter (or make your own cable without a null modem referring to the excellent diagram posted by Fred Hillhouse on 6/11/10, thread: "Can't connect to T2-301 using OTWINCFG"), and running Windows HyperTerminal (on my PC it's Programs > Accessories > Communications > HyperTerminal) or other serial communications programs such as PuTTY (recommended by Scott). Set your connection properties to 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, no flow control, and make sure you have selected the correct COM port (perhaps test it with another device). You may need to press 'Enter' a few times to establish the link. Entering the command ~R should reset the unit and flash the lights. Apologies if I've over-explained this!

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 25, 2011
          Thank you. You haven't over explained at all. This was a very good and helpful explanation.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 26, 2011
            I want to set up my commuting bicycle for APRS and use a rechargeable battery, and of course spend as little $ as possible. :o)

            I have a couple of 14.4V DeWalt power tool rechargeable batteries laying around that I can adapt for this purpose, but at full recharge, they read 16.3V unloaded and the T2-301 is spec'd at 15V.

            The question is - is there a safe way to know or predict what the battery's voltage may drop to when loaded with the T2-301, or should I really add a diode in series to drop the supply ~1V? Not a big deal to add the diode, but then wouldn't I always be losing a little kick on the TX power level?

            Steve, KF7MXS
          • zl1vfo
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 27, 2011
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "seerdman" <seerdman@...> wrote:

              > I want to set up my commuting bicycle for APRS and use a rechargeable battery, and of course spend as little $ as possible. :o)
              >
              > I have a couple of 14.4V DeWalt power tool rechargeable batteries laying around that I can adapt for this purpose, but at full recharge, they read 16.3V unloaded and the T2-301 is spec'd at 15V.
              >
              > The question is - is there a safe way to know or predict what the battery's voltage may drop to when loaded with the T2-301, or should I really add a diode in series to drop the supply ~1V? Not a big deal to add the diode, but then wouldn't I always be losing a little kick on the TX power level?
              >
              > Steve, KF7MXS

              Looking at the schematic for the T2 part, it would handle the extra voltage OK, although the radio side may not appreciate it. The manual says 12V nominal, meaning 12V, so 16 volts may cause damage to the RF output stage, at a guess. It's usually the high stress bits which are likely to pop first.
              As the batteries that you have are designed to supply a cordless drill, which tend to suck oodles of current (like 10 - 30 Amps under heavy load for some I've measured) , I don't think that the 1.5 Amps on transmit for the T2-301 is going to dent the supply voltage much.

              So yes, it'll probably be a good idea to reduce a bit with a pair of diodes in series, or alternatively, some form of "Pre-regulator" - perhaps a 2 Amp, 15V, LDO version.
              Alternatively, you could remove a cell from the battery pack and link out the gap, although what the battery charger would think of this is unknown - depends on what type of charger it is, and what it's expecting.

              73,
              Ian ZL1VFO
            • seerdman
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
                Great advice and a great reminder to consult the FC-301 manual as part of the overall documentation for the T2-301. Thank you!

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "zl1vfo" <zl1vfo@...> wrote:

                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "seerdman" <seerdman@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I want to set up my commuting bicycle for APRS and use a rechargeable battery, and of course spend as little $ as possible. :o)
                > >
                > > I have a couple of 14.4V DeWalt power tool rechargeable batteries laying around that I can adapt for this purpose, but at full recharge, they read 16.3V unloaded and the T2-301 is spec'd at 15V.
                > >
                > > The question is - is there a safe way to know or predict what the battery's voltage may drop to when loaded with the T2-301, or should I really add a diode in series to drop the supply ~1V? Not a big deal to add the diode, but then wouldn't I always be losing a little kick on the TX power level?
                > >
                > > Steve, KF7MXS
                > >

                > Looking at the schematic for the T2 part, it would handle the extra voltage OK, although the radio side may not appreciate it. The manual says 12V nominal, meaning 12V, so 16 volts may cause damage to the RF output stage, at a guess. It's usually the high stress bits which are likely to pop first.
                > As the batteries that you have are designed to supply a cordless drill, which tend to suck oodles of current (like 10 - 30 Amps under heavy load for some I've measured) , I don't think that the 1.5 Amps on transmit for the T2-301 is going to dent the supply voltage much.
                >
                > So yes, it'll probably be a good idea to reduce a bit with a pair of diodes in series, or alternatively, some form of "Pre-regulator" - perhaps a 2 Amp, 15V, LDO version.
                > Alternatively, you could remove a cell from the battery pack and link out the gap, although what the battery charger would think of this is unknown - depends on what type of charger it is, and what it's expecting.
                >
                > 73,
                > Ian ZL1VFO

              • k7ybz
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011