LaCrosse 2317 WX Station

  • Doug Reed
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
      If anyone in interested in a cheap weather station, Best Buy has the
      LaCrosse 2317 WX station on sale for $100 for at least the next couple
      days. This WX station does temp, wind, humidity, pressure, and includes
      a rain gage. Temp & humidity is indoor/outdoor, plus it reads WWVB to
      set the internal clock. It includes software for a PC and a cable for
      the serial port. And it can be used in either wired or wireless mode.
      About the only negative is that the rain gage is not heated, but what do
      you expect for a $100 battery powered device?

      For the price and completeness, it is hard to beat. It is a cheap
      plastic unit so I can't say it would be ideal for a remote weather
      station on top of a mountain. But it is very low power so it would also
      some have advantages for a solar powered APRS weather station. And since
      the next version of OT software will support the LaCrosse serial
      protocol, I had to buy one.

      73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
        If anyone gets one, let me know and I'll help you try it out.  I'm getting closer to another firmware release - just got the 1-wire bus enumeration functioning reliably today, and rewrote the atan2() function to save a lot of processing time and take up 2k less program space.  I want to clean up some other areas before I publish it.

        I did put out an update of the bootloader updater, though.  It's now safe to run on Rev C boards.  It should fix the xmodem upload, though you'll probably need to wait for the new firmware for it all to work properly together.  Oh, and the new firmware allows you to keep your configuration during an xmodem update.

        Scott

        If anyone in interested in a cheap weather station, Best Buy has the
        LaCrosse 2317 WX station on sale for $100 for at least the next couple
        days. This WX station does temp, wind, humidity, pressure, and includes
        a rain gage. Temp & humidity is indoor/outdoor, plus it reads WWVB to
        set the internal clock. It includes software for a PC and a cable for
        the serial port. And it can be used in either wired or wireless mode.
        About the only negative is that the rain gage is not heated, but what do
        you expect for a $100 battery powered device?

        For the price and completeness, it is hard to beat. It is a cheap
        plastic unit so I can't say it would be ideal for a remote weather
        station on top of a mountain. But it is very low power so it would also
        some have advantages for a solar powered APRS weather station. And since
        the next version of OT software will support the LaCrosse serial
        protocol, I had to buy one.

        73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.

        tracker2@yahoogroup s.com wrote:
        > Posted by: "Scott Miller" scott@opentrac. org n1vg
        > Date: Sat Dec 2, 2006 12:27 pm ((PST))
        >
        > No, the monitor output is part of the console. You should be able to do
        > NMEA and Peet Bros, and with the next release it'll do KISS, WS 2300, and
        > Garmin.

      • kernsd2001
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:

          > If anyone gets one, let me know and I'll help you try it out.

          I'm in!

          BestBuy should have one ready for me in time for my commute home.

          73 de Donald
        • Mike Fenske
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
            Is is also safe to run on the proto B boards?

            Mike Fenske
            VE7MKF

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
              Yeah.  The bootloader now checks the config bytes to see if it needs to invert the output or not.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
                The firmware is posted.  You may need to wire up an adapter to handle the weird signaling requirements of the station - set the output voltage jumper on the T2 to 5 volts, and then make the following connections:

                T2 -- Station

                2 -- 2
                3 -- 3
                4 -- 7
                5 -- 4 and 5

                The reason for the weird wiring is that (at least for the station I have, and the ones I've read about) the station itself doesn't generate any RS-232 voltage levels.  Not surprising, since it has to run for months on 3 AA batteries.  It just steals the voltages it needs from the host, so pin 4 has to be low and pin 7 has to be high.

                Once that's done, just set the port to WS2300 mode and it should start working after a minute.

                Scott