Re: [tracker2] retrofit MAX232 to rev A board

  • Jason Winningham
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
      On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

      > Used to be that the unit would automatically recognize its own
      > callsign as authorized. Should that still be the standard?

      I think that is a pretty reasonable default, but I can see arguments
      both ways. If the authlist is empty by default, then no one can
      pretend to be you by using your call and mess with the device.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • Jason Winningham
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
        On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

        > Just hit enter several times, and then enter AUTHLIST +callsign to
        > add yourself to the list.

        I AUTHed myself blind on port A, then PATCHed over the air (my typing
        is too poor to patch via blind typing :) and am back in business.
        Thanks!

        Does the memory I modified get overwritten by the config program, or
        by downloading new firmware? IOW, am I going to have to do this
        again because the config program sees that I have a rev A board and
        overwrites the patched area?

        I also hooked up port B, but didn't get anything. The baud rate was
        correct (issued BBAUD on port A). How recent is port B support - do
        I maybe have old firmware? I'm currently running build 54030.

        Can I configure the T2 via port B, or do I have to use port A (which
        I assume is a hardware UART) to do that?

        I'm strongly tempted to reconfigure port A for computer use (swap
        connector with opposite gender, swap pins 2 and 3) since I use that
        configuration more often than anything, and wire a connector to port
        B for GPS use.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
          Glad to hear the patch worked - I think that's the first real-world use of the command so far!  That byte will stay as it is unless you run the bootloader updater.  I'm going to fix that this weekend, so that it doesn't overwrite the hardware config bytes.  Once that's done, the patch command will be the only thing that'll change it.

          Port B won't give you a command prompt.  You should be able to use it for NMEA, though.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
            Yeah, you have to figure a lot of people will never remove it, and some prankster's going to see that it's a T2 by the TOCALL field, and could very easily forge a command message on the APRS IS from anywhere in the world.

            It might be possible to encode a unique backdoor password for each unit that'd come printed on a reference card, but that introduces a lot of complexity.

            Hmm, that reminds me.. I need to get some serial number stickers.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
              On Dec 2, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

              > Port B won't give you a command prompt. You should be able to use
              > it for NMEA, though.

              OK. If I'm monitoring would I see traffic, or is it a GPS-only port?

              -Jason
              kg4wsv
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                No, the monitor output is part of the console.  You should be able to do NMEA and Peet Bros, and with the next release it'll do KISS, WS 2300, and Garmin.