Re: [tracker2] Another script example (AC monitoring)

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2011
      On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Matt Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

      > I've got a question.  How does the email you're generating with the
      > OT2 scripts get onto the net and delivered to your email box?

      I send an APRS message to a special callsign, which is monitored by a
      computer which moves the APRS message from the APRS-IS and forwards it
      onto the internet email services.

      Not this puppy... have a look: http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

      > You're scripts have got me thinking about what I could do at my remote
      > HF site :)

      That's great, that's why I've been posting my scripts as examples.
      They are to give people a bit of an idea of the power that is
      available with scripting. It's hard to appreciate what we have
      available to us, unless you really dig into the documentation. By
      posting some examples, perhaps others will start to experiment with
      scripting.

      Just to emphasize Bob's mantra, APRS is not just about tracking vehicles.

      With these scripts, I can monitor quite a bit of what is happening at
      the digipeater shack. It helps when the shack is hours away, or up on
      a mountaintop. If you get an AC out alert, then watch the battery
      stack voltage drop before the digipeater disappears, you know what
      happened. If all you know is the digipeater went off air, you might
      end up going to a long drive just to find the site working fine by the
      time you get there because the power company has fixed the issue.

      If you can't figure out how to get something to work, feel free to
      post a query. Perhaps we can figure out a way to make it happen.

    • Matt Cook
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 9, 2011
        On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

        > Is this something you've cobbled together on your local APRS network?

        Not this puppy... have a look: http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

        Thanks, must test this out and see if I can get it working.

        That's great, that's why I've been posting my scripts as examples.
        They are to give people a bit of an idea of the power that is
        available with scripting. It's hard to appreciate what we have
        available to us, unless you really dig into the documentation. By
        posting some examples, perhaps others will start to experiment with
        scripting.

        The script examples are a little difficult to find coming in through the front door of the tracker2 website, so your link took me straight there.

        Just to emphasize Bob's mantra, APRS is not just about tracking vehicles.

        No it's good for HAB car to car comms, monitoring the voltage in your boats batteries remotely and all sorts of things :)

        With these scripts, I can monitor quite a bit of what is happening at
        the digipeater shack. It helps when the shack is hours away, or up on
        a mountaintop. If you get an AC out alert, then watch the battery
        stack voltage drop before the digipeater disappears, you know what
        happened. If all you know is the digipeater went off air, you might
        end up going to a long drive just to find the site working fine by the
        time you get there because the power company has fixed the issue.

        I know this pain.   The remote HF site we're using is 90kms (55mi) from home on the far side of a significant river.   The location has wireless internet (Wimax) but it's not 100% reliable.  So it's a three hour round trip to press the reset button, which happened to me recently.   I'm starting to think that some customised messages and a small amount of programming I should be able to remote control all sorts of things like reset buttons and mains/dc power and things etc.   Oh and AC monitoring and Battery voltage telemetry are an extra boon.

        If you can't figure out how to get something to work, feel free to
        post a query. Perhaps we can figure out a way to make it happen.

        Will do.

        73's

        Matthew
        VK5ZM
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 9, 2011
          On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Matt Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

          > I'm starting to think that some customised messages and a small
          > amount of programming I should be able to remote control all sorts
          > of things like reset buttons and mains/dc power and things etc.
          > Oh and AC monitoring and Battery voltage telemetry are an extra boon.

          Hmm, how are you going to do the remote control stuff? There's only
          one controllable output, the rig power control output. If you add
          another device onto a port, and have it able to decode incoming
          messages, you could probably have that device control multiple items.

          Of course if you have some secret way to control multiple outputs on
          the OT2, I'm all ears... I'd like to have the capability as well.

        • Matt Cook
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2011
            On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

            Hmm, how are you going to do the remote control stuff? There's only
            one controllable output, the rig power control output. If you add
            another device onto a port, and have it able to decode incoming
            messages, you could probably have that device control multiple items.

            Nothing ground breaking.  A few years ago I repurposed a SMS controller (http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102670/article.html ) to receive commands thru my Codan NGT HF radio, it took commands off the Codan selective calling subsystem and switched antennas and amplifiers on and off.  Allowed me to test and play with my remote HF station while at home or in the car (NVIS path), this was before I got the internet connected.

            The SMS controller hardware has multiple transistor outputs, uses a common as mud Atmel micro and more importantly a genuine serial port.   So I'm simply thinking of parsing targeted ARPS messages out of the OT2 serial port and switching the outputs, the best part is the embedded code in this SMS controller is capable of answering with an ACK to tell you it heard you.  Shouldn't be too hard and I've already got the hardware built and the necessary ICE.

            Of course if you have some secret way to control multiple outputs on
            the OT2, I'm all ears... I'd like to have the capability as well.

            If Scott is still considering features for the OT3 then I'd cast a vote to have the 1-wire bus feature capable of being disabled and allow two serial shift registers to be attached for general purpose outputs.  For latching take the last output of the shift register and jam this into the latch input with a monostable delay.  Simple !   Expanding the macro language to allow these output's to be switched would give us all sorts of telemetry and remote control type things we could do.  YMMV.

            73's

            Matthew
            VK5ZM

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
              > Of course if you have some secret way to control multiple outputs on
              > the OT2, I'm all ears... I'd like to have the capability as well.

              POKE a port's data direction register to set one of those extra inputs
              to output, and use another POKE to change the output state. Not pretty,
              but it'll work.