Re: Another script example (AC monitoring)

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2011
      The messed pinout is in the Wiki on the telemetry page.

      Find out who created that page and give that guy a smack!

      >> Hmm, just found an error on the telemetry page... I have IRQ listed as
      >> pin 6, and CFG as pin 1, backwards from the schematic! Don't any of
      >> you people check up on me so I'm not confusing myself? Sheesh!!! I'll
      >
      > Which page are you looking at? The manual page for the accessory
      > connector matches the schematic.
      >
      >> What's PTD7/KBI7 on pin 33 doing Scott? Is it just sitting there
      >> looking for something to do? If I added in a pull up resistor like
      >
      > It's connected to the solid state relay.
      >
      >> Hmm, now I think the big issue is going to be fitting all the code
      >> into 512 bytes available in the scripting engine!
      >
      > If you find yourself using a lot of repetitive constructs, let me know
      > and maybe I can implement some new commands. The DO ONCE command is a
      > good example of that - it saves a lot of messing with flags and makes it
      > more readable, too.

    • Matt Cook
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2011
        James,

        I've got a question.  How does the email you're generating with the OT2 scripts get onto the net and delivered to your email box?  Is this something you've cobbled together on your local APRS network?  You're scripts have got me thinking about what I could do at my remote HF site :)

        73's

        Matthew
        VK5ZM

        On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

        Added another script example.

        Using an AC driven relay on the profile switch input. When AC power
        goes out the OT2 will switch to profile 2. After 5 minutes with the
        power out, an email will be sent alerting about the power outage.
        After an outage, if the unit stays in profile 1 for 10 minutes a
        second email will be sent alerting to the return of AC to the site. An
        alarm acknowledge macro resets the triggers to keep from having
        multiple messages sent. Triggers could be automatically reset if
        desired by the script instead of latching until acknowledged...

        http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Script_Examples#Send_Email_on_Event_with_Delay

        I still need to be able to test against telemetry values. I want to be
        able to test against the bit 7 of the telemetry input. That should be
        stored in memory at a fixed location... can I do a peek at a memory
        location and test against that? I'd like to monitor the door to the
        shack, and if bit 7 changes, send an intrusion alarm. Hmm, analog
        telemetry values should be stored somewhere in memory as well...

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2011
          On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Matt Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

          > I've got a question.  How does the email you're generating with the
          > OT2 scripts get onto the net and delivered to your email box?

          I send an APRS message to a special callsign, which is monitored by a
          computer which moves the APRS message from the APRS-IS and forwards it
          onto the internet email services.

          Not this puppy... have a look: http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

          > You're scripts have got me thinking about what I could do at my remote
          > HF site :)

          That's great, that's why I've been posting my scripts as examples.
          They are to give people a bit of an idea of the power that is
          available with scripting. It's hard to appreciate what we have
          available to us, unless you really dig into the documentation. By
          posting some examples, perhaps others will start to experiment with
          scripting.

          Just to emphasize Bob's mantra, APRS is not just about tracking vehicles.

          With these scripts, I can monitor quite a bit of what is happening at
          the digipeater shack. It helps when the shack is hours away, or up on
          a mountaintop. If you get an AC out alert, then watch the battery
          stack voltage drop before the digipeater disappears, you know what
          happened. If all you know is the digipeater went off air, you might
          end up going to a long drive just to find the site working fine by the
          time you get there because the power company has fixed the issue.

          If you can't figure out how to get something to work, feel free to
          post a query. Perhaps we can figure out a way to make it happen.

        • Matt Cook
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 9, 2011
            On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

            > Is this something you've cobbled together on your local APRS network?

            Not this puppy... have a look: http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

            Thanks, must test this out and see if I can get it working.

            That's great, that's why I've been posting my scripts as examples.
            They are to give people a bit of an idea of the power that is
            available with scripting. It's hard to appreciate what we have
            available to us, unless you really dig into the documentation. By
            posting some examples, perhaps others will start to experiment with
            scripting.

            The script examples are a little difficult to find coming in through the front door of the tracker2 website, so your link took me straight there.

            Just to emphasize Bob's mantra, APRS is not just about tracking vehicles.

            No it's good for HAB car to car comms, monitoring the voltage in your boats batteries remotely and all sorts of things :)

            With these scripts, I can monitor quite a bit of what is happening at
            the digipeater shack. It helps when the shack is hours away, or up on
            a mountaintop. If you get an AC out alert, then watch the battery
            stack voltage drop before the digipeater disappears, you know what
            happened. If all you know is the digipeater went off air, you might
            end up going to a long drive just to find the site working fine by the
            time you get there because the power company has fixed the issue.

            I know this pain.   The remote HF site we're using is 90kms (55mi) from home on the far side of a significant river.   The location has wireless internet (Wimax) but it's not 100% reliable.  So it's a three hour round trip to press the reset button, which happened to me recently.   I'm starting to think that some customised messages and a small amount of programming I should be able to remote control all sorts of things like reset buttons and mains/dc power and things etc.   Oh and AC monitoring and Battery voltage telemetry are an extra boon.

            If you can't figure out how to get something to work, feel free to
            post a query. Perhaps we can figure out a way to make it happen.

            Will do.

            73's

            Matthew
            VK5ZM
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2011
              On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Matt Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

              > I'm starting to think that some customised messages and a small
              > amount of programming I should be able to remote control all sorts
              > of things like reset buttons and mains/dc power and things etc.
              > Oh and AC monitoring and Battery voltage telemetry are an extra boon.

              Hmm, how are you going to do the remote control stuff? There's only
              one controllable output, the rig power control output. If you add
              another device onto a port, and have it able to decode incoming
              messages, you could probably have that device control multiple items.

              Of course if you have some secret way to control multiple outputs on
              the OT2, I'm all ears... I'd like to have the capability as well.

            • Matt Cook
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2011
                On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                Hmm, how are you going to do the remote control stuff? There's only
                one controllable output, the rig power control output. If you add
                another device onto a port, and have it able to decode incoming
                messages, you could probably have that device control multiple items.

                Nothing ground breaking.  A few years ago I repurposed a SMS controller (http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102670/article.html ) to receive commands thru my Codan NGT HF radio, it took commands off the Codan selective calling subsystem and switched antennas and amplifiers on and off.  Allowed me to test and play with my remote HF station while at home or in the car (NVIS path), this was before I got the internet connected.

                The SMS controller hardware has multiple transistor outputs, uses a common as mud Atmel micro and more importantly a genuine serial port.   So I'm simply thinking of parsing targeted ARPS messages out of the OT2 serial port and switching the outputs, the best part is the embedded code in this SMS controller is capable of answering with an ACK to tell you it heard you.  Shouldn't be too hard and I've already got the hardware built and the necessary ICE.

                Of course if you have some secret way to control multiple outputs on
                the OT2, I'm all ears... I'd like to have the capability as well.

                If Scott is still considering features for the OT3 then I'd cast a vote to have the 1-wire bus feature capable of being disabled and allow two serial shift registers to be attached for general purpose outputs.  For latching take the last output of the shift register and jam this into the latch input with a monostable delay.  Simple !   Expanding the macro language to allow these output's to be switched would give us all sorts of telemetry and remote control type things we could do.  YMMV.

                73's

                Matthew
                VK5ZM

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
                  > Of course if you have some secret way to control multiple outputs on
                  > the OT2, I'm all ears... I'd like to have the capability as well.

                  POKE a port's data direction register to set one of those extra inputs
                  to output, and use another POKE to change the output state. Not pretty,
                  but it'll work.