Re: [tracker2] Can't get computers to talk to Tracker2

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
      On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM, kwbell <kw4b@...> wrote:

      > I've tried connecting with Hyperterminal, using both adapters; don't get
      > the BSOD or an error message; but I don't get any response from the
      > Tracker2 either; although I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to happen
      > after hitting the enter key several times anyway.

      Do you have device that you can talk to via HyperTerminal on a serial
      port? We should first ensure that Hyperterminal and the USB to serial
      adapters are working. If you can get it talking, then we know that
      works.

      Two computers talking to each other would be fine.

      Once you have that, hook up the OT2, power it up, and hit enter a
      bunch of times. You should get a CMD: prompt back from the unit.

    • Stan Leeds
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
        Visit Device Manager, then under Ports and verify that you are on the correct COM port for your USB device.

        Stan, KC7EHJ

        On 8/7/2011 12:39 PM, kwbell wrote:

        Hey All,

        I apologise in advance for the length of this post. I recently purchased a Tracker2 model OT2m from a local ham and I'm not having any luck getting the computer to talk to it in order to configure it. The ham I purchased it from had intended to set-up an APRS station, but then learned that the area we live in (South-east GA) does have a local APRS digi or iGate, so it was useless to him and he says never even tried to use it. I purchased it with the intention of filling the APRS digi gap here as I've been granted permission to use a 250 tower in the area.

        The problem is I can't get any of my computers and USB to Serial adapters to talk to the Tracker2. I've tried two different adapters (don't have access to a PC with an actual serial port any more), both of which work perfectly well connecting to my other radio equipment; I purchased a Gigaware Null Modem adapter to put in line to meet that requirement since I don't have an actual null modem cable and rat shack didn't have one in stock.

        When I use my Belkin adapter and launch the configuration software it tries to connect and then gives me the BSOD after a few seconds of trying. Since I get the same result on different computers, clearly it doesn't like the Belkin adapter.

        When I use an ATEN adapter, I don't get the BSOD, but eventually I get a message that says it can't open the serial port and then I have to actually disconnect and reconnect the adapter to the computer to make it work for anything else.

        Regardless of which adapter I use, I do get prompted to reset the Tracker2 after I click the connect button in the config program, but then I get the results specified above.

        I've tried connecting with Hyperterminal, using both adapters; don't get the BSOD or an error message; but I don't get any response from the Tracker2 either; although I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to happen after hitting the enter key several times anyway.

        I've searched the posts on this message board and didn't find anything that would seem to help me with this problem (or I'm using the wrong search criteria); I've also looked at the FAQ on the Argent site and have tried the suggestions there. I've no idea what chip my adapters are based on (per the FAQ, FTDI or Prolific chips are supposed to be the best for this set-up) so I'm at a dead end at this point I think.

        Thanks in advance.

        Kevin
        KW4B

      • kwbell
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
          James,

          Thanks, I hadn't thought to try that, but I think I can come up with a device to use test.
          I'll let you know the results.

          Kevin
          KW4B

          > On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM, kwbell <kw4b@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I've tried connecting with Hyperterminal, using both adapters; don't get
          > > the BSOD or an error message; but I don't get any response from the
          > > Tracker2 either; although I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to happen
          > > after hitting the enter key several times anyway.
          >
          > Do you have device that you can talk to via HyperTerminal on a serial
          > port? We should first ensure that Hyperterminal and the USB to serial
          > adapters are working. If you can get it talking, then we know that
          > works.
          >
          > Two computers talking to each other would be fine.
          >
          > Once you have that, hook up the OT2, power it up, and hit enter a
          > bunch of times. You should get a CMD: prompt back from the unit.
          >
          > --
          > James
          > VE6SRV

        • kwbell
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
            Thanks Stan. I've checked that already (been caught by that before); definitely not the problem.

            Kevin
            KW4B

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
              Hi Kevin,

              You should get a command prompt after hitting enter a few times. The
              default is 4800 baud. Even if it's been changed, you should still get a
              funny character on the screen when the tracker is first powered up.

              Also make sure all three LEDs flash at power up - if that's not
              happening, something else is wrong.

              Scott

            • Larry Simon
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011

                Take a look at the ports in device manager. That should tell you which driver is being used. I think your best bet is with the Aten adapter if I remember correctly.

                Larry

                KC7QJO

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011

                  I use the ATEN usb to serial adaptor and have used it on XP, Vista and W7. Works well for the OT2m, OT+ and the ADS-WS1.

                  Regards,

                  Matthew

                  VK6MRG

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 11, 2011
                    Scott,

                    Thanks for the info. I've finally had a chance to sit down this week and try some of the suggestions posted. Unfortunately, it appears that your suggestion below is the winner (or loser depending on how one looks at it). On power-up only the green light comes on the Tracker2. I've verified there isn't anything wrong with my adapters or the cable as I can make two computers talk to each other. Not sure what my next step will be...

                    Kevin
                    KW4B

> [...]
                    > > Tracker2 after I click the connect button in the config program, but
                    > > then I get the results specified above.
                    > >
                    > > I've tried connecting with Hyperterminal, using both adapters; don't get
                    > > the BSOD or an error message; but I don't get any response from the
                    > > Tracker2 either; although I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to
                    > > happen after hitting the enter key several times anyway.
                    > >
                    > > I've searched the posts on this message board and didn't find anything
                    > > that would seem to help me with this problem (or I'm using the wrong
                    > > search criteria); I've also looked at the FAQ on the Argent site and
                    > > have tried the suggestions there. I've no idea what chip my adapters are
                    > > based on (per the FAQ, FTDI or Prolific chips are supposed to be the
                    > > best for this set-up) so I'm at a dead end at this point I think.
                    > >
                    > > Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

                  • kwbell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 13, 2011
                      I'm very happy to report that the problem was actually with the power supply and not the Tracker2. Apparently not getting enough juice to the Tracker2 to make it function properly. Just dawned on me that the one thing I hadn't switched was the power supply since, but once switched it out and fired it up, I was greeted with all lights flashing as they should. Hooked the cables up as before, launched the config software and have contol of the Tracker2 now. Will be working to get this on-the-air this week.

                      Kevin
                      KW4B