Tracker 2 T2-301 Reliability

  • wa3usg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2011
      Has anyone on here had a any experience with the T2-301? I am looking for something that I can take out in my car and use as a APRS tracker. I work at quite a few Bicycle tours as a SAG and for the last few years, I've been using a Byonics Tracker. On our last event, the exciter failed and I'm looking for something to replace that unit with. With 5 watts output, the T2-301 should drive my 2 meter amp to about 50 watts out, I do like to run adequate power from the vehicle. Many times, the digi's & I-Gates are far & few between. Another plus is that the T2-301 has a receiver and will supress sending a packet if there's channel activity. It will also digipeat ... something that I think will be useful in some of our events. I already have 2 of the little Byonics GPS receivers with the DB9 connectors.
      My main concern is how robust the 2 meter transmitter/receiver is. I only intend to use it at the 5 watt level. Is there any high SWR protection in the transmitter? Can I get some of your opinions in reference to this unit? I really like the small size & the flexibility in its configuration.
      73
      Dick Goodman, WA3USG
      Mechanicsburg, PA.
    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
        At 09:41 PM 7/17/2011, wa3usg wrote:
        > Has anyone on here had a any experience with the T2-301?

        Yes, I built two trackers using the T2-301. See the Photos section of
        this group and look for "Standalone APRS unit based on T2-301".

        I've used these units as trackers for a couple of local events and
        they've worked fine.

        Unfortunately, I can't answer your more technical questions at the
        end of your post. Maybe Scott has some thoughts on this.

        Bob...
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
          It does supposedly have high SWR protection, though I've never tested it
          myself.

          Most of the failures I've seen have been infant mortality or user error.
          The only recent catastrophic failure that comes to mind is a unit that
          got very wet and corroded pretty badly.

          Scott

          On 7/17/2011 6:41 PM, wa3usg wrote:
          > Has anyone on here had a any experience with the T2-301? I am looking
          > for something that I can take out in my car and use as a APRS tracker. I
          > work at quite a few Bicycle tours as a SAG and for the last few years,
          > I've been using a Byonics Tracker. On our last event, the exciter failed
          > and I'm looking for something to replace that unit with. With 5 watts
          > output, the T2-301 should drive my 2 meter amp to about 50 watts out, I
          > do like to run adequate power from the vehicle. Many times, the digi's &
          > I-Gates are far & few between. Another plus is that the T2-301 has a
          > receiver and will supress sending a packet if there's channel activity.
          > It will also digipeat ... something that I think will be useful in some
          > of our events. I already have 2 of the little Byonics GPS receivers with
          > the DB9 connectors.
          > My main concern is how robust the 2 meter transmitter/receiver is. I
          > only intend to use it at the 5 watt level. Is there any high SWR
          > protection in the transmitter? Can I get some of your opinions in
          > reference to this unit? I really like the small size & the flexibility
          > in its configuration.
          > 73
          > Dick Goodman, WA3USG
          > Mechanicsburg, PA.

        • wa3usg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
            Thanks for the replies guys! You gave me the info that I wanted to know. I'll order a T2-301 tomorrow!
            73
            Dick, WA3USG

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "wa3usg" <wa3usg@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone on here had a any experience with the T2-301? I am looking for something that I can take out in my car and use as a APRS tracker. I work at quite a few Bicycle tours as a SAG and for the last few years, I've been using a Byonics Tracker. On our last event, the exciter failed and I'm looking for something to replace that unit with. With 5 watts output, the T2-301 should drive my 2 meter amp to about 50 watts out, I do like to run adequate power from the vehicle. Many times, the digi's & I-Gates are far & few between. Another plus is that the T2-301 has a receiver and will supress sending a packet if there's channel activity. It will also digipeat ... something that I think will be useful in some of our events. I already have 2 of the little Byonics GPS receivers with the DB9 connectors.
            > My main concern is how robust the 2 meter transmitter/receiver is. I only intend to use it at the 5 watt level. Is there any high SWR protection in the transmitter? Can I get some of your opinions in reference to this unit? I really like the small size & the flexibility in its configuration.
            > 73
            > Dick Goodman, WA3USG
            > Mechanicsburg, PA.

          • captnkliegle
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 19, 2011
              I have several OT's that were mounted in small bright colored toolboxes for just such purpose. All of which are run of the mill, older generation 2M mobile rigs that one can buy at hamfests for $50-$75. Tie wrapped to a piece of cut plywood to hold the radio and a gell cell. The GPS and magmount antenna cables pass thru the mating surfaces of the box. Fully self sufficient and independant, because you never know if the SAG wagon will have a usuable power port or stay plugged in during the event.

              Kriss KA1GJU-x