T2-135 communication problem

  • w6dlf
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 4, 2011
      Recently my T2-135 started working sporadically with my Garmin Nuvi 350. It would not accept commands from the Nuvi and finally stopped tracking stations entirely. I can't get a serial connection using otwincfg.exe. I removed the cover and when the Alinco Digital mode is turned on the T2-135 board's the red and green leds flash once. The degradation was gradual and intermittent up to the point where it now doesn't work at all. Any ideas?

      Dave
      W6DLF
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
        Try reseating all of the connectors. On mine, the connector from the T2
        to the radio board likes to work itself loose over time.

        On 7/5/2011 10:29 AM, w6dlf wrote:
        > Recently my Alinco/Nuvi 350 started to act sporadically. Sometimes the T2-135 would fail to track stations and would not accept commands from the Nuvi. Other times it would track but would not accept commands. This weekend it failed entirely. I can't access/control it from otwincfg. I opened it up and the T2 board's green and red LEDs flash when I put the Alinco in digital mode? Any ideas or help appreciated.
        >
        > Dave
        > W6DLF
      • w6dlf
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
          Thanks Lynn, tried that. Still get "Can't open serial port." It's less than two years old. Is there any warranty on these that would apply, do you know? Am a bit discouraged, as you might imagine.

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

          > Try reseating all of the connectors. On mine, the connector from the T2
          > to the radio board likes to work itself loose over time.

          > On 7/5/2011 10:29 AM, w6dlf wrote:
          > > Recently my Alinco/Nuvi 350 started to act sporadically. Sometimes the T2-135 would fail to track stations and would not accept commands from the Nuvi. Other times it would track but would not accept commands. This weekend it failed entirely. I can't access/control it from otwincfg. I opened it up and the T2 board's green and red LEDs flash when I put the Alinco in digital mode? Any ideas or help appreciated.
          > >
          > > Dave
          > > W6DLF

        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
            I don't think "Can't open serial port" is the T2-135. Are you sure that
            you a) have the right COM port specified, and b) nothing else is using
            it? Try opening the port in a terminal emulator (like Tera Term). If
            that doesn't work, then something else is owning the port. If that
            works, then cycle power on the T2-135 (via the Data Enable on the
            DR-135) and see if you get any text in the terminal emulator.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - T2-135 as KJ4OVQ-9 and OT2m (formerly T2-135) as
            KJ4ERJ-9

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
              They flash constantly? Or just when you turn on digital mode?

              Scott

              On 7/5/2011 7:29 AM, w6dlf wrote:
              > Recently my Alinco/Nuvi 350 started to act sporadically. Sometimes the
              > T2-135 would fail to track stations and would not accept commands from
              > the Nuvi. Other times it would track but would not accept commands. This
              > weekend it failed entirely. I can't access/control it from otwincfg. I
              > opened it up and the T2 board's green and red LEDs flash when I put the
              > Alinco in digital mode? Any ideas or help appreciated.
              >
              > Dave
              > W6DLF

            • w6dlf
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                just once each together when I go to digital mode or turn on the Alinco...

                > They flash constantly? Or just when you turn on digital mode?
                >
                > Scott
                >
                > On 7/5/2011 7:29 AM, w6dlf wrote:
                > > Recently my Alinco/Nuvi 350 started to act sporadically. Sometimes the
                > > T2-135 would fail to track stations and would not accept commands from
                > > the Nuvi. Other times it would track but would not accept commands. This
                > > weekend it failed entirely. I can't access/control it from otwincfg. I
                > > opened it up and the T2 board's green and red LEDs flash when I put the
                > > Alinco in digital mode? Any ideas or help appreciated.
                > >
                > > Dave
                > > W6DLF

              • w6dlf
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                  Lynn, thanks. I'm trying tera term and I get gibberish the repeats every few seconds. No serial error message, though. So it appears to be "connected." (I am using a native com port on a PC, not a USB/Serial)

                  Dave
                  W6DLF

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                  > I don't think "Can't open serial port" is the T2-135. Are you sure that
                  > you a) have the right COM port specified, and b) nothing else is using
                  > it? Try opening the port in a terminal emulator (like Tera Term). If
                  > that doesn't work, then something else is owning the port. If that
                  > works, then cycle power on the T2-135 (via the Data Enable on the
                  > DR-135) and see if you get any text in the terminal emulator.
                  >
                  > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - T2-135 as KJ4OVQ-9 and OT2m (formerly T2-135) as
                  > KJ4ERJ-9
                  >
                  > On 7/5/2011 12:34 PM, w6dlf wrote:
                  > > Thanks Lynn, tried that. Still get "Can't open serial port." It's less than two years old. Is there any warranty on these that would apply, do you know? Am a bit discouraged, as you might imagine.
                  > >
                  > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<ldeffenb@> wrote:
                  > >> Try reseating all of the connectors. On mine, the connector from the T2
                  > >> to the radio board likes to work itself loose over time.
                  > >>
                  > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                • Rahn Abbott
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                    Sounds like a baud rate problem.  Make sure your computer and device are operating at the same baud rate.
                    Rahn

                    Lynn, thanks. I'm trying tera term and I get gibberish the repeats every few seconds. No serial error message, though. So it appears to be "connected." (I am using a native com port on a PC, not a USB/Serial)

                    Dave
                    W6DLF

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                    > I don't think "Can't open serial port" is the T2-135. Are you sure that
                    > you a) have the right COM port specified, and b) nothing else is using
                    > it? Try opening the port in a terminal emulator (like Tera Term). If
                    > that doesn't work, then something else is owning the port. If that
                    > works, then cycle power on the T2-135 (via the Data Enable on the
                    > DR-135) and see if you get any text in the terminal emulator.
                    >
                    > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - T2-135 as KJ4OVQ-9 and OT2m (formerly T2-135) as
                    > KJ4ERJ-9
                    >
                    > On 7/5/2011 12:34 PM, w6dlf wrote:
                    > > Thanks Lynn, tried that. Still get "Can't open serial port." It's less than two years old. Is there any warranty on these that would apply, do you know? Am a bit discouraged, as you might imagine.
                    > >
                    > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<ldeffenb@> wrote:
                    > >> Try reseating all of the connectors. On mine, the connector from the T2
                    > >> to the radio board likes to work itself loose over time.
                    > >>
                    > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                      Dave W6DLF wrote...

                      > Lynn, thanks. I'm trying tera term and I get gibberish the repeats every
                      > few seconds. No serial error message, though. So it appears to be
                      > "connected." (I am using a native com port on a PC, not a USB/Serial)

                      Gibberish like in the wrong data rate, or as in KISS frames? Perhaps
                      you could copy and paste a dozen lines for us to look at.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    • w6dlf
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                        Here's what it looks like at 9600 baud:
                        »þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ

                        Here it is at 4800 baud:
                        9øïOø ˆÎäøÿø xˆ YøÿO ø ˆÎå™øÿxÎY9øÿøÎY ê

                        2400:
                        þÐBÀÂÿ¼Qª)ÂBð¼QÐÃB)Âÿ¼Q¨)Âÿ

                        19200:
                        ü`þ€``€f†þþþþ€`˜`þ€``€æf€``€˜€˜˜f†f˜ÌÃÌ~``þ€``€f†þþþþ€`˜`þ€``€æf€``€˜€˜˜f†f˜ÌÃÌ~
                        ``þ€`ÿÿÿà€Ýÿøÿÿ

                        Doesn't seem to be baud rate, right?

                        Dave
                        W6DLF

                        > Dave W6DLF wrote...
                        >
                        > > Lynn, thanks. I'm trying tera term and I get gibberish the repeats every
                        > > few seconds. No serial error message, though. So it appears to be
                        > > "connected." (I am using a native com port on a PC, not a USB/Serial)
                        >
                        > Gibberish like in the wrong data rate, or as in KISS frames? Perhaps
                        > you could copy and paste a dozen lines for us to look at.
                        >
                        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                      • w6dlf
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                          I believe the T2 is supposed to automatically detect the baud rate. The default is 4800 and that doesn't work nor do the others...

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rahn Abbott" <rahn@...> wrote:

                          > Sounds like a baud rate problem. Make sure your computer and device are operating at the same baud rate.
                          > Rahn

                        • w6dlf
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                            Keith, here's what it looks like:

                            9600 baud:

                            4800 baud (default):
                            ‚9øÿÏøxˆÎY¹øÿøxHÎYøÿOø‚xˆÎY"€9øÿÏiiÄÀœËhü9øïO øxˆÎYê

                            Similar at other baud rates.

                            The T2 always auto detected my baud rate in the past. Never had it do anything like this until now.

                            Dave
                            W6DLF

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                              And that's not in KISS mode, right?

                              If you hold down enter, does it do anything?

                              Scott

                              On 7/5/2011 6:37 PM, w6dlf wrote:

                              > Keith, here's what it looks like:
                              >
                              > 9600 baud:
                              >
                              > 4800 baud (default):
                              > ‚9øÿÏøxˆÎY¹øÿøxHÎY�øÿOø‚xˆÎY"€9øÿÏiiÄÀœËhü9øïO øxˆÎYê
                              >
                              > Similar at other baud rates.
                              >
                              > The T2 always auto detected my baud rate in the past. Never had it do
                              > anything like this until now.
                              >
                              > Dave
                              > W6DLF

                              > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Dave W6DLF wrote...
                              > >
                              > > > Lynn, thanks. I'm trying tera term and I get gibberish the repeats
                              > every
                              > > > few seconds. No serial error message, though. So it appears to be
                              > > > "connected." (I am using a native com port on a PC, not a USB/Serial)
                              > >
                              > > Gibberish like in the wrong data rate, or as in KISS frames? Perhaps
                              > > you could copy and paste a dozen lines for us to look at.
                              > >
                              > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              > > --
                              > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

                            • w6dlf
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 5, 2011
                                Steve,

                                I don't know what mode it is in. (I can't control or read anything through the serial port.)

                                The enter key does nothing.

                                Dave
                                W6DLF

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 6, 2011
                                  I have no idea why Yahoo posted this from July 4! Sorry...

                                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w6dlf" <daveflack@...> wrote:

                                  > Recently my T2-135 started working sporadically with my Garmin Nuvi 350. It would not accept commands from the Nuvi and finally stopped tracking stations entirely. I can't get a serial connection using otwincfg.exe. I removed the cover and when the Alinco Digital mode is turned on the T2-135 board's the red and green leds flash once. The degradation was gradual and intermittent up to the point where it now doesn't work at all. Any ideas?
                                  >
                                  > Dave
                                  > W6DLF

                                • w6dlf
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 7, 2011
                                    Problem solved...

                                    I had a bad serial cable. (Murphy's Law)
                                    I didn't wait long enough for the autobaud to write to the terminal emulator. With new cable and patience I got the sign on and cmd.
                                    I didn't follow the directions for correctly connecting otwincfg.

                                    It now works fine with the Nuvi. Don't know what that was about but just thankful I'm back "on track" Thanks for the help and suggestions.

                                    Dave
                                    W6DLF