Native Linux OTWINCFG Equivalent?

  • doc@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3, 2011
      I have looked around and drawn a blank ...

      Is there a native Linux OTWINCFG equivalent app?

      If not, what is the next closest thing that Linux users
      are finding effective, please?

      Adding the WINE layer of complexity is something I really
      want to avoid.

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E
      David Colburn http://kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
        On Sun, 3 Jul 2011, doc@... wrote:

        > I have looked around and drawn a blank ...
        >
        > Is there a native Linux OTWINCFG equivalent app?
        >
        > If not, what is the next closest thing that Linux users
        > are finding effective, please?
        >
        > Adding the WINE layer of complexity is something I really
        > want to avoid.

        Preaching to the choir.

        There has been in the past. It was based on WxWidgets as I recall. Somebody else wrote it. I hacked on it once and brought it more up-to-date, sending the patches on to Scott. Basically it doesn't get tweaked every time the firmware needs something new, so it is quickly out-dated.

        So the answer at this point is: No, there's no alternative to configuring/flashing on a Windows box. I use a couple of old dual-boot laptops and just boot into Win2k or WinXP when I need to reflash or reconfigure an Opentracker (or a Tinytrak for that matter). Actually let me correct what I just said slightly: I believe you can flash the device still using Linux, but you can't configure it w/o using Windows. I seem to remember having trouble finding the latest version of firmware on the site though, it's easier and more reliable to use the Windows config app to flash the device as well.

        I wish there were alternatives as well. If I had extra time/energy for such a project I'd whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it cross-platform. If Scott liked it enough, it could become the mainstream config app and we could do away with the Windows-only config app.

        --
        Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
      • Thomas Krahn
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
          Curt,

          I'm also interested in this. Where can we find the old WxWidgets
          version? I agree that a Qt4 would probably do the job for all and we
          should join forces to get this going.

          Thomas
          KT5TK

        • doc@kd4e.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
            "... whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it cross-platform"

            This would still need to be updated - could Scott, or someone
            there, make the necessary updates - once the app was complete?

            Do you suppose that is we asked around there might be enough
            Linux Hams to donate a few bucks each to finance someone to
            make the time to make this happen?

            I will donate for sure!

            How much do you think we'd need to raise to get it done?

            I despise being forced to do anything in a MS version of
            windows and have always found it difficult to understand
            what anyone would write for MS-only when writing a cross-
            platform app is not significantly more effort.

            WDYT?

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
              While you are at it could you write a fat-finger-prevention
              app for me?

              ;-)

              is = if

              what = why

              Sigh ...

              --

              Thanks! & 73, KD4E
              David Colburn http://kd4e.com
              Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
              I don't google I SEARCH! STARTPAGE.com
              Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
            • Ed Lizard Rosen
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
                Hey, I use Linux, and I'll pay for good software.

                On 07/04/2011 01:49 PM, doc@... wrote:
                > "... whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it cross-platform"
                >
                > This would still need to be updated - could Scott, or someone
                > there, make the necessary updates - once the app was complete?
                >
                > Do you suppose that is we asked around there might be enough
                > Linux Hams to donate a few bucks each to finance someone to
                > make the time to make this happen?
                >
                > I will donate for sure!
                >
                > How much do you think we'd need to raise to get it done?
                >
                > I despise being forced to do anything in a MS version of
                > windows and have always found it difficult to understand
                > what anyone would write for MS-only when writing a cross-
                > platform app is not significantly more effort.
                >
                > WDYT?
                >
                >> Curt, WE7U wrote: On Sun, 3 Jul 2011, doc@... wrote:
                >>
                >>> I have looked around and drawn a blank ...
                >>>
                >>> Is there a native Linux OTWINCFG equivalent app?
                >>>
                >>> If not, what is the next closest thing that Linux users are finding
                >>> effective, please?
                >>>
                >>> Adding the WINE layer of complexity is something I really want to
                >>> avoid.
                >> Preaching to the choir.
                >>
                >> There has been in the past. It was based on WxWidgets as I recall.
                >> Somebody else wrote it. I hacked on it once and brought it more
                >> up-to-date, sending the patches on to Scott. Basically it doesn't
                >> get tweaked every time the firmware needs something new, so it is
                >> quickly out-dated.
                >>
                >> So the answer at this point is: No, there's no alternative to
                >> configuring/flashing on a Windows box. I use a couple of old
                >> dual-boot laptops and just boot into Win2k or WinXP when I need to
                >> reflash or reconfigure an Opentracker (or a Tinytrak for that
                >> matter). Actually let me correct what I just said slightly: I
                >> believe you can flash the device still using Linux, but you can't
                >> configure it w/o using Windows. I seem to remember having trouble
                >> finding the latest version of firmware on the site though, it's
                >> easier and more reliable to use the Windows config app to flash the
                >> device as well.
                >>
                >> I wish there were alternatives as well. If I had extra time/energy
                >> for such a project I'd whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it
                >> cross-platform. If Scott liked it enough, it could become the
                >> mainstream config app and we could do away with the Windows-only
                >> config app.

                -- --
                -- "Saving peoples' lives
                so they may live long enough
                to become witty."

                Ed Lizard Rosen FF/EMTB N3GXH
                n3gxh@...
                n3gxh@... (on the road)
                Days 410 965-8498
                Eves 410 655-4956
                Nextel 443 677-1427
                Where was I now? http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?N3GXH*
                (n3gxh-3 is the Jeep, -1 is home, -2 is work, -14 is the truck)
              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                  Isn't all the functionality available through the serial port? The advantage
                  of OTWINCFG is things are grouped together with other things that make
                  sense. Since a non-Windows OTWINCFG is not available, why not create a basic
                  flowchart that show common settings that need attention? Then any terminal
                  program, under any OS can be used.

                  For instance, if someone wanted to do pre-emptive digipeating, the commands
                  needing a change are:

                  From the manual:
                  ALIAS <n> <callsign>
                  DIGIID <n> on|off
                  HOPLIMIT <n> <hops>
                  PREEMPT <n> on|off
                  USEALIAS <n> on|off

                  Actual usage:
                  Alias 1 HT
                  DIGIID ON
                  HOPLIMIT 5
                  PREEMPT ON
                  USEALIAS 1

                  Comment:
                  If a PATH of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,HT5-5 is configured into an HT, then it will be
                  digipeated by the OT2 running PREEMPT.

                  The lack of direction was one of the issues I had with the KPC3. I bought
                  one and sure, it had a bunch of commands, but a list of commands do not
                  teach anyone how they work together. The same thing has happened here. The
                  is a list of commands but without outside help, a new operator has very
                  little chance of getting anything running.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred, N7FMH

                  ________________________________

                  <mailto:doc%40kd4e.com> wrote:

                  >>> I have looked around and drawn a blank ...
                  >>>
                  >>> Is there a native Linux OTWINCFG equivalent app?
                  >>>
                  >>> If not, what is the next closest thing that Linux users are finding
                  >>> effective, please?
                  >>>
                  >>> Adding the WINE layer of complexity is something I really want to
                  >>> avoid.
                  >> Preaching to the choir.
                  >>
                  >> There has been in the past. It was based on WxWidgets as I recall.
                  >> Somebody else wrote it. I hacked on it once and brought it more
                  >> up-to-date, sending the patches on to Scott. Basically it doesn't
                  >> get tweaked every time the firmware needs something new, so it is
                  >> quickly out-dated.
                  >>
                  >> So the answer at this point is: No, there's no alternative to
                  >> configuring/flashing on a Windows box. I use a couple of old
                  >> dual-boot laptops and just boot into Win2k or WinXP when I need to
                  >> reflash or reconfigure an Opentracker (or a Tinytrak for that
                  >> matter). Actually let me correct what I just said slightly: I
                  >> believe you can flash the device still using Linux, but you can't
                  >> configure it w/o using Windows. I seem to remember having trouble
                  >> finding the latest version of firmware on the site though, it's
                  >> easier and more reliable to use the Windows config app to flash the
                  >> device as well.
                  >>
                  >> I wish there were alternatives as well. If I had extra time/energy
                  >> for such a project I'd whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it
                  >> cross-platform. If Scott liked it enough, it could become the
                  >> mainstream config app and we could do away with the Windows-only
                  >> config app.

                  -- --

                  n3gxh@... <mailto:n3gxh%40arrl.net>
                  n3gxh@... <mailto:n3gxh%40winlink.org> (on the road)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                    On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, doc@... wrote:

                    > "... whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it cross-platform"
                    >
                    > This would still need to be updated - could Scott, or someone
                    > there, make the necessary updates - once the app was complete?

                    That would be the goal, and was my goal when I picked up what somebody else wrote with the WxWidgets app and updated it a few years back. Since it didn't replace the Windows version, it got dropped as far as updates and the Windows-specific version continued on. I'm not blaming Scott, he has enough on his plate. If the WxWidgets version had been good enough to supplant the Windows-specific config file, it would have, and we wouldn't be in this mess now. A Qt4 app could probably pull this trick off.

                    > Do you suppose that is we asked around there might be enough
                    > Linux Hams to donate a few bucks each to finance someone to
                    > make the time to make this happen?
                    >
                    > I will donate for sure!
                    >
                    > How much do you think we'd need to raise to get it done?
                    >
                    > I despise being forced to do anything in a MS version of
                    > windows and have always found it difficult to understand
                    > what anyone would write for MS-only when writing a cross-
                    > platform app is not significantly more effort.
                    >
                    > WDYT?

                    Methinks the same as you do on this matter. I can't imagine writing for one platform these days as it's just a waste of time. Cross-platform is the way to go.

                    For me it's a question of time and priorities. I'd love to see a project like this happen but don't have the time to do it myself. I might find time to contribute to a team of people, perhaps 2 or 3 others?

                    I'd be interested in a similar app that could perform the same duties for the TT2/TT3/TT4 series (Byonics), since I have the same problem there: Trying to find a Windows machine to configure/flash them on when I've been avoiding using Windows for the last 19 years. hi hi

                    --
                    Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                    APRS: Where it's at! http://www.xastir.org
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                      We have three people already:

                      You, me, and n3gxh@...

                      Any other cross-platform advocates out there?

                      I am no good with code any more, never was that good to begin
                      with, but I am pretty good at breaking ... errr ... testing things.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                        +1 from KT5TK

                        Thomas

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                          On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Thomas Krahn wrote:

                          > I'm also interested in this. Where can we find the old WxWidgets version? I
                          > agree that a Qt4 would probably do the job for all and we should join forces
                          > to get this going.

                          You made me work a bit looking for it. I found my modified sources in:

                          ~/src/opentrac/opentracker/linux-command-line/
                          and ~/src/opentrac/opentracker/linux-gui/

                          Those paths are for my benefit so I can find them again without searching my hard drive, they won't help anyone else. It looks like I was last hacking on that code in July of 2004. No wonder I couldn't remember where I left the sources!

                          The sources say things like: "Created by Shannon Holland on Fri Jan 16 2004", with the day in January varying across the files.

                          I see *.h, *.c, and *.cpp files, so it must be a bit of C for the interface code and C++ for the GUI. Looks like it uses WxWindows for the GUI. It has a configure.ac file and the usual suspect for autoconf/automake, but I don't recall whether those were there when I started or whether I added that framework.

                          If anyone is interested in taking a look at it I can put it up somewhere for download. It may or may not make a good start for a Qt4 app. The best scenario would be to get buy-in from Scott early-on that if the app looks good enough, he'd maintain it or help maintain it after the initial release. If the Qt4 app would do all he needs for Windows too, it would be to his benefit to support only the one cross-platform app. I'm sure Scott doesn't have extra time either!

                          --
                          Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                          U.S. Weather Alerts: Firenet.us, port 14580, filter "t/n e/WE7U-WX"
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                            > I wish there were alternatives as well. If I had extra time/energy for
                            > such a project I'd whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it
                            > cross-platform. If Scott liked it enough, it could become the mainstream
                            > config app and we could do away with the Windows-only config app.

                            I wouldn't mind paying someone to do a cross-platform version with
                            multiple language support. I've tried to do that a couple of times, but
                            so far it hasn't worked out.

                            I'd also really like to do an Android app with bluetooth support...

                            Scott
                          • Curt, WE7U
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                              On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, Scott Miller wrote:

                              >> I wish there were alternatives as well. If I had extra time/energy for
                              >> such a project I'd whip up a Qt4 app to do it and make it
                              >> cross-platform. If Scott liked it enough, it could become the mainstream
                              >> config app and we could do away with the Windows-only config app.
                              >
                              > I wouldn't mind paying someone to do a cross-platform version with
                              > multiple language support. I've tried to do that a couple of times, but
                              > so far it hasn't worked out.

                              Qt4 has localization support if you decide up-front to compile that stuff in and use it.

                              > I'd also really like to do an Android app with bluetooth support...

                              If I recall correctly, you can target Android with Qt4 as well. Haven't looked into that a lot, but you might be able to do it all in one shot with one codebase.

                              I do have an Android tablet to test with... There are multiple versions of Android out there too, so it would need to be tested on 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, and 3.1 at least. My tablet is currently 2.2 but plan to update to 3.0 soon.

                              --
                              Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                              APRS Wiki: http://info.aprs.net/
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
                                I would really, really prefer to only maintain a single version of the
                                configuration program - and it should be reliably cross-platform to the
                                degree that I don't need to test every little change on 3 or 4 operating
                                systems.

                                Scott

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 6, 2011
                                  > If anyone is interested in taking a look at it I can put it up somewhere
                                  > for download. It may or may not make a good start for a Qt4 app. The
                                  > best scenario would be to get buy-in from Scott early-on that if the app

                                  Honestly I'd rather not have the otwincfg app used as anything more than
                                  a reference if it's going to be replaced. It's pretty ugly internally
                                  and not designed for localization.

                                  A replacement could also be simplified if it abandoned backward
                                  compatibility with old firmware versions.

                                  Scott
                                • Curt, WE7U
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 7, 2011
                                    On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Scott Miller wrote:

                                    >> If anyone is interested in taking a look at it I can put it up somewhere
                                    >> for download. It may or may not make a good start for a Qt4 app. The
                                    >> best scenario would be to get buy-in from Scott early-on that if the app
                                    >
                                    > Honestly I'd rather not have the otwincfg app used as anything more than
                                    > a reference if it's going to be replaced. It's pretty ugly internally
                                    > and not designed for localization.
                                    >
                                    > A replacement could also be simplified if it abandoned backward
                                    > compatibility with old firmware versions.

                                    Sounds like you should be part of the testing group, 'cuz if you're not happy with the end result, it won't go anywhere.

                                    What the project needs first is a leader/organizer, plus at least one primary coder to do the framework and the start of the GUI. The two functions might come packaged as one person.

                                    I'd jump in as a secondary coder/tester once the project was up and running. I've already played a bit with the Qt4 development environment.

                                    --
                                    Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                                    APRS: Where it's at! http://www.xastir.org
                                  • Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 7, 2011
                                      How about writing it as a standalone HTTP server and then a web ui.
                                      Then the UI will work anywhere and the backend code will be free of UI.
                                      Leigh/WA5ZNU
                                      On 07/05/2011 11:37 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
                                      > I would really, really prefer to only maintain a single version of the
                                      > configuration program - and it should be reliably cross-platform to the
                                      > degree that I don't need to test every little change on 3 or 4 operating
                                      > systems.
                                      >
                                      > Scott

                                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 7, 2011
                                        And how do you propose to run the standalone HTTP server as a
                                        cross-platform program? Reliably?

                                        Yeah, the UI might be more complex, but doing a network-stack-oriented
                                        program, relying on finding a port that isn't in use on any particular
                                        users's machine, and supporting all the various variants of browsers,
                                        firewalls, javascript enabled/disabled, and network security programs
                                        that don't trust localhost TCP/IP connections, it's still decidedly
                                        non-trivial.

                                        A command line interfaced with a terminal emulator interface is by far
                                        the simplest and most portable, but not necessarily the most user friendly.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 7, 2011
                                          The 32-bit tracker I'm working on (not the OT3m) actually does have a
                                          web server built in, and it'll be used for configuration.

                                          Scott

                                          On 8/7/2011 4:09 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                          > And how do you propose to run the standalone HTTP server as a
                                          > cross-platform program? Reliably?
                                          >
                                          > Yeah, the UI might be more complex, but doing a network-stack-oriented
                                          > program, relying on finding a port that isn't in use on any particular
                                          > users's machine, and supporting all the various variants of browsers,
                                          > firewalls, javascript enabled/disabled, and network security programs
                                          > that don't trust localhost TCP/IP connections, it's still decidedly
                                          > non-trivial.
                                          >
                                          > A command line interfaced with a terminal emulator interface is by far
                                          > the simplest and most portable, but not necessarily the most user friendly.

                                          > On 8/7/2011 6:56 PM, Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
                                          >> How about writing it as a standalone HTTP server and then a web ui.
                                          >> Then the UI will work anywhere and the backend code will be free of UI.
                                          >> Leigh/WA5ZNU
                                          >> On 07/05/2011 11:37 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
                                          >>> I would really, really prefer to only maintain a single version of the
                                          >>> configuration program - and it should be reliably cross-platform to the
                                          >>> degree that I don't need to test every little change on 3 or 4 operating
                                          >>> systems.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Scott

                                        • Hüseyin ODABAŞ, TA1DF
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 8, 2011
                                            +1 for Qt4 from TA1DF

                                            73!

                                            2011/7/7 Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u@...>

                                            On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Scott Miller wrote:

                                            >> If anyone is interested in taking a look at it I can put it up somewhere
                                            >> for download. It may or may not make a good start for a Qt4 app. The
                                            >> best scenario would be to get buy-in from Scott early-on that if the app
                                            >
                                            > Honestly I'd rather not have the otwincfg app used as anything more than
                                            > a reference if it's going to be replaced. It's pretty ugly internally
                                            > and not designed for localization.
                                            >
                                            > A replacement could also be simplified if it abandoned backward
                                            > compatibility with old firmware versions.

                                            Sounds like you should be part of the testing group, 'cuz if you're not happy with the end result, it won't go anywhere.

                                            What the project needs first is a leader/organizer, plus at least one primary coder to do the framework and the start of the GUI. The two functions might come packaged as one person.

                                            I'd jump in as a secondary coder/tester once the project was up and running. I've already played a bit with the Qt4 development environment.
                                            APRS: Where it's at! http://www.xastir.org

                                            --
                                            You know where I am :

                                            me : http://aprs.fi/?call=TA1DF-7&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600