RE: [tracker2] Re: PC to OT2 Serial Connection

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2011
      Glad to have helped! It is unlikely trying to use the printer damaged
      anything but that is really unknown until testing. I doubt you TNC will have
      seen damage. Most new transceivers can handle shorts.

      Best regards,
      Fred, N7FMH

      _____

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
        I have assembled a female-to-female 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 DB9 straight
        thru cable and a male-to-female 2-3, 3-2, 5-5 DB9 null modem
        cable and have connected them between the serial port on my
        laptop to the "serial" port on my Tracker2/OT2M.

        I have gtkterm loaded in Linux.

        I set Configuration - Local Echo to ON.

        When Configuration - Port - Flow Control is set to None or to
        RTS/CTS the only response I receive when power is applied to
        the Tracker2/OT2M is a single character that looks like an
        ancient Greek "P" or something. (Also, none of the LEDs remain
        lighted on the OT2M box.)

        When Configuration - Port - Flow Control is set to Xon/Xoff
        I get an endless screen of junk characters. (The LED labeled
        "ACT" on the OT2M remains lighted.)

        Where should I look for the solution, please?

        Was I supposed to set jumpers in the OT2M or should it talk
        to gtkterm as-shipped?

        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
          The DB-9 images on the Tracker2 Yahoo page show pins 7-8
          shorted at the PC and 1, 4, & 6 also shorted the PC (plus
          2, 3, & 5 via a null modem scheme with 2 & 3 crossed), and
          it only shows 2, 3, & 5 wired at the Tracker2 end.

          Is that wiring of 7-8 and 1, 4, & 6 at the PC end necessary,
          and perhaps the reason I am having some difficulties?

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
            I am just trying to get a simple terminal app to recognize
            the device.

            In this case Gtkterm in Linux.

            WDYT?

            --

            Thanks! & 73, KD4E
            David Colburn http://kd4e.com
            Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
            I don't google I SEARCH! STARTPAGE.com
            Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
          • Jason KG4WSV
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:14 PM, doc@... <doc@...> wrote:
                > I am just trying to get a simple terminal app to recognize
                > the device.
                >
                > In this case Gtkterm in Linux.

                That loopback handshake cable should do it. Alternatively, your
                terminal app should have a setting to turn of handshaking (aka flow
                control). hardware flow control uses all those extra pins; software
                flow control uses ^S and ^Q. none is what you want to use with a
                minimal 3 wire cable.

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
              • M & M Neno
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                  Your cables are back to front, normally the serial extension is M to F or to
                  be PC, plug to socket, & null, in this case 3 wire crossover socket to
                  socket.
                  You will probably need to take port A out of kiss to get a connect.
                  Not sure how to do that with linux, easy with windoz tho.
                  You could use OTWINCFG program to change to AUTO,
                  or AGWPE will take it out of kiss for you too,
                  or send over air cmd' message to change mode.

                  73, Murray, ZL1ARL.

                • doc@kd4e.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 3, 2011
                    The DB-9 connector on the back of the Tracker2/OT2M is Male,
                    the DB-9 connector on the back of the laptop is Male, so if
                    one thinks of the two connected cables between them as a single
                    continuous null modem cable it must be Female at both ends.

                    Perhaps, before this will work, I need to reverse the cable
                    for some reason?

                    Or, perhaps I need to add the handshaking to the laptop end,
                    and then it will work?

                    Or, is gtkterm not the right Linux app to be using?

                    It seems odd that after all these years there is not yet a
                    Linux (or preferably platform independent) alternative to
                    OTWINCFG (which is dependent upon a proprietary and problem-
                    plagued MS version of windows).

                    I read where someone was speculating about Python.

                    Sure wish I had the coding skills but don't even remember
                    what little I used to know and use daily as a sys. mgr!

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 3, 2011
                      On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM, doc@... <doc@...> wrote:
                      > The DB-9 connector on the back of the Tracker2/OT2M is Male,
                      > the DB-9 connector on the back of the laptop is Male,

                      I can't remember the T2 pinout, but _in_general_ : if the two RS232
                      devices have complementary genders (one female, one male) they need a
                      straight-through cable. A standard straight-through serial cable has
                      a male connector on one end and a female on the other.

                      If you think you need a gender changer, you probably really need a
                      null modem cable. There are exceptions to this, e.g. the kenwood D700
                      serial connector, which is an engineering screwup and you do need a
                      gender changer to use a standard cable.

                      -Jason
                      kg4wsv
                    • Rudy Benner
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 3, 2011
                        One needs to have a kit with a pair of gender benders and a null modem adapter. Then you have it all covered. Once in a blue moon, you may need a 9 to 25 pin adapter.

                        The DB-9 connector on the back of the Tracker2/OT2M is Male,
                        the DB-9 connector on the back of the laptop is Male, so if
                        one thinks of the two connected cables between them as a single
                        continuous null modem cable it must be Female at both ends.

                        Perhaps, before this will work, I need to reverse the cable
                        for some reason?

                        Or, perhaps I need to add the handshaking to the laptop end,
                        and then it will work?

                        Or, is gtkterm not the right Linux app to be using?

                        It seems odd that after all these years there is not yet a
                        Linux (or preferably platform independent) alternative to
                        OTWINCFG (which is dependent upon a proprietary and problem-
                        plagued MS version of windows).

                        I read where someone was speculating about Python.

                        Sure wish I had the coding skills but don't even remember
                        what little I used to know and use daily as a sys. mgr!

                        > M & M Neno
                        wrote: Your cables are back to front, normally the serial
                        > extension is M
                        to F or to be PC, plug to socket,& null, in this case
                        > 3 wire
                        crossover socket to socket. You will probably need to take
                        > port A out of
                        kiss to get a connect. Not sure how to do that with
                        > linux, easy with
                        windoz tho. You could use OTWINCFG program to change
                        > to AUTO, or AGWPE
                        will take it out of kiss for you too, or send over
                        > air cmd' message to
                        change mode.

                        > 73, Murray,
                        ZL1ARL.

                        > ----- Original Message ----- From:<
                        href="mailto:doc%40kd4e.com">mailto:doc%40kd4e.com>
                        > To:<
                        href="mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2011 6:19 AM
                        > Subject: Re: [tracker2] Re: PC to
                        OT2 Serial Connection

                        >> I have assembled a
                        female-to-female 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 DB9 straight thru
                        >> cable and a
                        male-to-female 2-3, 3-2, 5-5 DB9 null modem cable and
                        >> have connected
                        them between the serial port on my laptop to the
                        >> "serial" port on my
                        Tracker2/OT2M.

                        >> I have gtkterm loaded in
                        Linux.

                        >> I set Configuration - Local Echo to
                        ON.

                        >> When Configuration - Port - Flow Control is set to
                        None or to
                        >> RTS/CTS the only response I receive when power is applied
                        to the
                        >> Tracker2/OT2M is a single character that looks like an
                        ancient
                        >> Greek "P" or something. (Also, none of the LEDs remain
                        lighted on
                        >> the OT2M box.)
                        >>
                        >> When Configuration
                        - Port - Flow Control is set to Xon/Xoff I get
                        >> an endless screen of
                        junk characters. (The LED labeled "ACT" on
                        >> the OT2M remains
                        lighted.)

                        >> Where should I look for the solution,
                        please?

                        >> Was I supposed to set jumpers in the OT2M or
                        should it talk to
                        >> gtkterm as-shipped?

                        Thanks!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 3, 2011
                          Based on the recommendations here I created the equivalent of
                          a 3-wire null modem cable (think of it as a null modem adapter
                          in-line with a straight-thru cable).

                          The two cables together are functionally the equivalent of either
                          a single null modem cable, or the equivalent of a straight-thru
                          cable with a null modem adapter.

                          QUESTION1: If you had a straight-thru cable and added a null
                          modem adapter, would you place the adapter at the Tracker2/OT2M
                          end or the PC end - or does it matter?

                          DETAIL: Does the laptop need to interface with Pin 2 as Pin 2
                          even though at some point along the cable it becomes Pin 3 at
                          the Tracker2/OT2M, and Pin 3 as Pins 3 even thought it becomes
                          Pin 2 even though at some point along the cable it becomes Pin 2
                          at the Tracker2/OT2M? (My instinct says it should not matter.)

                          QUESTION2: Is there any good reason to believe that the handshaking
                          wiring shown on the tracker2 Yahoo site - only at the PC end - will
                          make a difference - or is it "who knows, try it and see if it works"?