Which Type of Null Modem Cable?

  • doc@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2011
      I just wired a DB-9 - DB-9 cable to connect my OT2M to the DR-135.

      Which type of null modem cable should I wire from the OT2M (DB-9)
      to the computer DB-25)?

      No handshaking 2-3 3-2 5-5?

      Partial handshaking?

      Full handshaking?

      <http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_null_modem.html#conc>

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E
      David Colburn http://kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2011
        Sorry, never mind, just found the pin-out data:

        Connections:

        1+6 - 4
        2 - 3
        3 - 2
        4 - 6+1
        5 - 5
        7 - 8
        8 - 7
        Shell - Shell

        > doc@... wrote:
        > I just wired a DB-9 - DB-9 cable to connect my OT2M to the DR-135.
        >
        > Which type of null modem cable should I wire from the OT2M (DB-9)
        > to the computer DB-25)?
        >
        > No handshaking 2-3 3-2 5-5?
        >
        > Partial handshaking?
        >
        > Full handshaking?
        >
        > <http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_null_modem.html#conc>

        --

        Thanks! & 73, KD4E
        David Colburn http://kd4e.com
        Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
        I don't google I SEARCH! STARTPAGE.com
        Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
      • Jason KG4WSV
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
          I use a 3 wire cable on my OTs.

          2-3
          3-2
          5-5

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
        • doc@kd4e.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
            Can anyone explain why ArgentData specifies more
            active pins while Jason finds that only three
            appear to be working OK?

            I would both like to do the right thing and to
            understand why.

            Connections:

            1+6 - 4
            2 - 3
            3 - 2
            4 - 6+1
            5 - 5
            7 - 8
            8 - 7
            Shell - Shell

            --

            Thanks! & 73, KD4E
            David Colburn http://kd4e.com
            Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
            I don't google I SEARCH! STARTPAGE.com
            Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
              If you are talking about only RS232, then only 3 is needed since hardware
              handshaking is not used. I only use three wires []TX, RX and GND] as well
              when I am just programming the TNC.

              My normal cable for my OT2 is much more complicated, then I have more than
              most going on.

              Best regards,
              Fred, N7FMH

              _____

              Can anyone explain why ArgentData specifies more
              active pins while Jason finds that only three
              appear to be working OK?

              I would both like to do the right thing and to
              understand why.

              Connections:

              1+6 - 4
              2 - 3
              3 - 2
              4 - 6+1
              5 - 5
              7 - 8
              8 - 7
              Shell - Shell

              > I use a 3 wire cable on my OTs.
              >
              > 2-3
              > 3-2
              > 5-5
              >
              > -Jason
              > kg4wsv
            • Jason KG4WSV
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
                On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:14 AM, doc@... <doc@...> wrote:
                > Can anyone explain why ArgentData specifies more
                > active pins while Jason finds that only three
                > appear to be working OK?

                You are seeing "this is the pinout of the null modem cable we sell",
                but making the invalid assumption that it's the only cable that will
                work. If you look at the pin designations on the T2, there are no
                handshake lines - only TX, RX, and GND.

                I'd guess that a standard full-handshake null modem (which is what the
                pinout describes) is much easier to get that a 3-wire cable, and it
                works, so that's what Scott stocks and sells.

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
              • doc@kd4e.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
                  You are correct and that is precisely what I needed to know.

                  Lots more simple to wire too. I like that! ;-)

                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
                    > I'd guess that a standard full-handshake null modem (which is what the
                    > pinout describes) is much easier to get that a 3-wire cable, and it
                    > works, so that's what Scott stocks and sells.

                    Exactly, it's an off the shelf part. 3 wires is all you need.