ADS-SR1 and T2-135 for APRS/SSTV Digipeater

  • Sion Chow Q. C.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2011
      Dear All,

      We are currently using an Alinco DR-435 70cm transceiver with the T2-135 as an APRS hilltop digipeater. Due to the fact that the APRS usage on 70cm is rather low, we are looking into the possibility of adding SSTV repeater capability to encourage more local SSTV activities.

      I would like to ask if anyone has any prior experience of using Argent Data's ADS-SR1 Simplex Repeater or any other solutions with the DR-435 together with the T2-135 active simultaneously? I understand that once the radio is in data mode, the speaker and mic connections are disabled.

      Any pointers to whether using such solution is possible for an SSTV repeater system and how to overcome the disabled speaker and mic connections while the radio is in data mode is really appreciated.

      Thank you for any help in advance.

      73,
      Sion Chow Q. C.,
      9M2CQC, 9V1QC, WQ2C /HL1,
      ex: 9W2QC, AB3IO
    • Kenny Witt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2011
        Just what are you attempting to do? The data port on the front of the Alinco can be run with either squelch "on or off" but the squelch setting is defendant on what type of TNC you have and what you are trying to do with it.

        The simplex repeater? Think of it as an audio "store and forward"...or what is commonly called a "parrot repeater" What it hears...it sends.

        There are several on the market...MFJ, ARGENT, or you can sometimes find an old Radio Shack model. These are all at or just under 100 bucks depending on condition.

        Write back and tell me in more detail what you are trying to accomplish and maybe I can give you some more suggestions.

        kw KC4OJS

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2011
          The first problem I see is that even if you get both on the radio at the
          same time, the simplex repeater is going to try to repeat everything it
          hears, including the packet data, and would probably interfere with the TNC.

          Scott

        • Sion Chow Q. C. (9W2QC)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2011
            Hi Kenny & Scott,

            Thank you to both for the very kind reply to this. Basically, I am
            trying to use the same digipeater UHF Alinco radio to function both as
            an APRS digipeater and SSTV repeater.

            I agree with Scott and did not think about the fact that the simplex
            repeater will digipeat everything it hears including the packet data.
            I believe requiring CTCSS tones for the will disturb SSTV
            transmissions so that might not be an option.

            Are there any more possible solutions to this before we decide to
            abandon this project?

            Thank you.

            73, Sion, 9M2CQC