Re: [tracker2] Tracker 2 Question

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2011
      On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM, k3bmk <k3bmk@...> wrote:

      > Primarily, I am looking at the Tracker 2 to use for capturing location data
      > for events such as bike races.

      How much data do you want to collect? ie. how high is the resolution
      of the data, and how many units are you trying to track? If you are
      wanting to get a position every 2 feet for 100 bikes, APRS is not the
      application.

      > I will not have internet access, so I need to be able to capture the data
      > via RF and feed it to my computer program for plotting.

      Well, that's a good thing for APRS and the OT2, as you can't capture
      data directly to the internet with an OT2. There are applications that
      can run on phones that could send information directly to the
      internet.

      > I have read the online user guide and I believe that the device is capable
      > of this. Can anyone confirm this for me? As I said I have never dabbled
      > into APRS before.

      Well, if you're read any of the information on APRS, you will know
      that it can take live GPS data, encode it, and send it over the
      airwaves. It can also be used to receive and decode that same
      information. So, yes APRS and the OT2 will do the above.

      The issue is whether it will fulfill your needs, which you have yet to
      define enough for us to give you a useful answer. More info, more
      answers...