RE: [tracker2] retrofit MAX232 to rev A board

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
      Well, there's the PATCH command... that *might* work.  Let's see... the byte is at 0xf9b0.  For a Proto A board it should be 0x00 by default.  To make it not invert the signal you need to set it to 1.  So the on-air command (you did remember to set the AUTHLIST, right?) would be:

       CMD PATCH F9B00101

      You just have to hope that nothing needed by the patch command itself resides in that particular erase block!  So you've got to ask yourself... do you feel lucky?  =]

      I've also heard that the MAX232 will tolerate having one of its own outputs looped back to an input, so you could try that to add another inversion.

      Also, just to clarify, only the TX side is inverted in software, and only on port A.  The RX side needs external inversion, either through the 232 chip or the FET.  Port B has no invert option, so it always needs external inversion.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
        Just wondering if this also is true for the Proto-B boards? Also, if possible, could you post the schematic for the proto b board. I can only find the schematic for the A & C boards.

        Thanks,
        Mike Fenske
        VE7MKF

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
          Yeah, should work.  Just posted the schematic.

          Scott

          Just wondering if this also is true for the Proto-B boards? Also, if possible, could you post the schematic for the proto b board. I can only find the schematic for the A & C boards.

          Thanks,
          Mike Fenske
          VE7MKF

          At 03:04 PM 30/11/06 -0800, you wrote:
          >Well, there's the PATCH command... that *might* work. Let's see... the byte is at 0xf9b0. For a Proto A board it should be 0x00 by default. To make it not invert the signal you need to set it to 1. So the on-air command (you did remember to set the AUTHLIST, right?) would be:
          >
          > CMD PATCH F9B00101
          >
          >You just have to hope that nothing needed by the patch command itself resides in that particular erase block! So you've got to ask yourself... do you feel lucky? =]
          >
          >I've also heard that the MAX232 will tolerate having one of its own outputs looped back to an input, so you could try that to add another inversion.
          >
          >Also, just to clarify, only the TX side is inverted in software, and only on port A. The RX side needs external inversion, either through the 232 chip or the FET. Port B has no invert option, so it always needs external inversion.
          >
          >Scott

        • Jason Winningham
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
            On Nov 30, 2006, at 5:04 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

            > (you did remember to set the AUTHLIST, right?)

            apparently not. I'm getting a "rej" in response to my messages.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
              Oops.

              Ok, as long as the RX side is working, you should be able to do that blind.  Just hit enter several times, and then enter AUTHLIST +callsign to add yourself to the list.  You can try the patch that way too, if you're comfortable doing it blind.

              Used to be that the unit would automatically recognize its own callsign as authorized.  Should that still be the standard?  It's really easy to forget to add yourself.  I guess I could add a warning to the login banner if no entries exist - that might provide a better security posture and still make it harder to forget.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

                > Used to be that the unit would automatically recognize its own
                > callsign as authorized. Should that still be the standard?

                I think that is a pretty reasonable default, but I can see arguments
                both ways. If the authlist is empty by default, then no one can
                pretend to be you by using your call and mess with the device.

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
              • Jason Winningham
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                  On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

                  > Just hit enter several times, and then enter AUTHLIST +callsign to
                  > add yourself to the list.

                  I AUTHed myself blind on port A, then PATCHed over the air (my typing
                  is too poor to patch via blind typing :) and am back in business.
                  Thanks!

                  Does the memory I modified get overwritten by the config program, or
                  by downloading new firmware? IOW, am I going to have to do this
                  again because the config program sees that I have a rev A board and
                  overwrites the patched area?

                  I also hooked up port B, but didn't get anything. The baud rate was
                  correct (issued BBAUD on port A). How recent is port B support - do
                  I maybe have old firmware? I'm currently running build 54030.

                  Can I configure the T2 via port B, or do I have to use port A (which
                  I assume is a hardware UART) to do that?

                  I'm strongly tempted to reconfigure port A for computer use (swap
                  connector with opposite gender, swap pins 2 and 3) since I use that
                  configuration more often than anything, and wire a connector to port
                  B for GPS use.

                  -Jason
                  kg4wsv
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Glad to hear the patch worked - I think that's the first real-world use of the command so far!  That byte will stay as it is unless you run the bootloader updater.  I'm going to fix that this weekend, so that it doesn't overwrite the hardware config bytes.  Once that's done, the patch command will be the only thing that'll change it.

                    Port B won't give you a command prompt.  You should be able to use it for NMEA, though.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Yeah, you have to figure a lot of people will never remove it, and some prankster's going to see that it's a T2 by the TOCALL field, and could very easily forge a command message on the APRS IS from anywhere in the world.

                      It might be possible to encode a unique backdoor password for each unit that'd come printed on a reference card, but that introduces a lot of complexity.

                      Hmm, that reminds me.. I need to get some serial number stickers.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                        On Dec 2, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

                        > Port B won't give you a command prompt. You should be able to use
                        > it for NMEA, though.

                        OK. If I'm monitoring would I see traffic, or is it a GPS-only port?

                        -Jason
                        kg4wsv
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                          No, the monitor output is part of the console.  You should be able to do NMEA and Peet Bros, and with the next release it'll do KISS, WS 2300, and Garmin.