RE: [tracker2] TEMP7-7 DIGI

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
      It sounds like if TEMP is a default, then it will do this automatically
      without setting up an alias. I think I saw 5 as the hop limit.

      Best regards,
      Fred

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
        That should work. Preemption is not required, but it can stay on.

        With Preemption on, the OT2 will look for TEMPn-N in any unused path
        element in the packet, and jump to there marking the previous path
        elements as used up.

        On 6/8/11, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >

        > I have been reading through WB4APRs pages regarding using the Kenwood D7x0s
        > as a TEMP7-7 digi all the time.
        > For one example: http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html
        >
        > I don't have a Kenwood but I would like this functionality.
        > Is it possible to do this with the Tracker2?
        >
        > My understanding of the WIKI is this will work.
        > WIKI Link: http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption
        >
        > This is what I am thinking I need to do:
        >
        > In OTWINCFG:
        > click on "Digi Config"
        > enter TEMP into an "Alias" field
        > enter 7 for "Hops", check "Preempt", "ID" and "Enabled"
        > check "Digipeat on my call"
        >
        > Using terminal software, I would use:
        > ALIAS 1 TEMP
        > HOPLIMIT 1 7
        > PREEMPT 1 on
        > USEALIAS 1 on
        > DIGIID 1 on
        > [used 1 for n since I have no other ALIASes entered as this is a tracker]
        >

        > Any one care to comment?
        >
        > In lieu of a comment I will try it anyway. I just hope to save time if
        > someone knows this will not work.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Best regards,
        > Fred, N7FMH

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
          The portable PATH I would like to use is: WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1, TEMPn-N. With TEMPn-N in the first position, a normal W1/W2 digipeater would not do anything. In the second path, at least one hop is completed.

          Currently, I am changing a TEMP1-1,WIDE2-1 to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 with DigiXform in APRSIS32 and sending TEMP1-1,WIDE2-1 from the portable. The portable [TILT(APRSISCE)/T2-301] is sitting on the seat next to me and can't reach or hear anything but the mobile unit.

          The OT2 mobile unit which is normally a tracker, could be a TEMPn-N digipeater if it is enabled. I don' t know how the Kenwoods handle this but it sounds close.

          Thanks!

          Best regards,
          Fred, N7FMH

          That should work. Preemption is not required, but it can stay on.

          With Preemption on, the OT2 will look for TEMPn-N in any unused path
          element in the packet, and jump to there marking the previous path
          elements as used up.

          On 6/8/11, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >

          > I have been reading through
          WB4APRs pages regarding using the Kenwood D7x0s
          > as a TEMP7-7 digi all
          the time.
          href="http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html">http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html

          I don't have a Kenwood but I would like this functionality.
          > Is it
          possible to do this with the Tracker2?

          > My understanding of the
          WIKI is this will work.
          href="http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption">http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption

          This is what I am thinking I need to do:

          > In OTWINCFG:

          click on "Digi Config"
          > enter TEMP into an "Alias" field
          > enter 7
          for "Hops", check "Preempt", "ID" and "Enabled"
          > check "Digipeat on my
          call"

          > Using terminal software, I would use:
          > ALIAS 1
          TEMP
          > HOPLIMIT 1 7
          > PREEMPT 1 on
          > USEALIAS 1 on

          DIGIID 1 on
          > [used 1 for n since I have no other ALIASes entered as this
          is a tracker]

          > Any one care to comment?

          In lieu of a comment I will try it anyway. I just hope to save time if

          someone knows this will not work.

          Thanks!

          > Best regards,
          > Fred,
          N7FMH

          ------------------------------------

          > Yahoo! Groups
          Links

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
            The Kenwoods and Kantronics units can not do preemptive digipeating.
            You will have to be near your preemptive TEMPn-N digipeater for you to
            get preemptive digipeats from your unit.

            However, what will happen is main digipeaters and fill-in digipeaters
            will grab your first hop request, and act upon it, then the main
            digipeaters will act upon the WIDE2-1, and finally any Kenwood mobile
            in range of those digipeaters, as well as any other digipeater
            configured for TEMPn-N will act upon the TEMP1-1 on the end.

            For your configuration, it would be better to use a unique alias for
            preemption that won't trigger the regular TEMPn-N digipeaters as the
            last hop.

          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
              Light up all the Kenwood's! What fun!
              How to win friends in one easy step!

              A unique alias is good!

              If a Kenwood is in use, then the portable must be using TEMPn-N as the first
              path or only path. I'll go back and re-read the Bob Docs again now that I
              have a slightly better understanding.

              Thanks James!

              Best regards,
              Fred, N7FMH