TEMP7-7 DIGI

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
      Greetings,

      I have been reading through WB4APRs pages regarding using the Kenwood D7x0s
      as a TEMP7-7 digi all the time.
      For one example: http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html

      I don't have a Kenwood but I would like this functionality.
      Is it possible to do this with the Tracker2?

      My understanding of the WIKI is this will work.
      WIKI Link: http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption

      This is what I am thinking I need to do:

      In OTWINCFG:
      click on "Digi Config"
      enter TEMP into an "Alias" field
      enter 7 for "Hops", check "Preempt", "ID" and "Enabled"
      check "Digipeat on my call"

      Using terminal software, I would use:
      ALIAS 1 TEMP
      HOPLIMIT 1 7
      PREEMPT 1 on
      USEALIAS 1 on
      DIGIID 1 on
      [used 1 for n since I have no other ALIASes entered as this is a tracker]

      Any one care to comment?

      In lieu of a comment I will try it anyway. I just hope to save time if
      someone knows this will not work.

      Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Fred, N7FMH
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
        I don't remember what the hoplimit is set to, but TEMP should be enabled
        on the T2 by default.

        Scott

        On 6/8/2011 10:51 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >

        > I have been reading through WB4APRs pages regarding using the Kenwood D7x0s
        > as a TEMP7-7 digi all the time.
        > For one example: http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html
        >
        > I don't have a Kenwood but I would like this functionality.
        > Is it possible to do this with the Tracker2?
        >
        > My understanding of the WIKI is this will work.
        > WIKI Link: http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption
        >
        > This is what I am thinking I need to do:
        >
        > In OTWINCFG:
        > click on "Digi Config"
        > enter TEMP into an "Alias" field
        > enter 7 for "Hops", check "Preempt", "ID" and "Enabled"
        > check "Digipeat on my call"
        >
        > Using terminal software, I would use:
        > ALIAS 1 TEMP
        > HOPLIMIT 1 7
        > PREEMPT 1 on
        > USEALIAS 1 on
        > DIGIID 1 on
        > [used 1 for n since I have no other ALIASes entered as this is a tracker]
        >
        > Any one care to comment?
        >
        > In lieu of a comment I will try it anyway. I just hope to save time if
        > someone knows this will not work.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Best regards,
        > Fred, N7FMH

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
          It sounds like if TEMP is a default, then it will do this automatically
          without setting up an alias. I think I saw 5 as the hop limit.

          Best regards,
          Fred

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
            That should work. Preemption is not required, but it can stay on.

            With Preemption on, the OT2 will look for TEMPn-N in any unused path
            element in the packet, and jump to there marking the previous path
            elements as used up.

            On 6/8/11, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
            > Greetings,
            >

            > I have been reading through WB4APRs pages regarding using the Kenwood D7x0s
            > as a TEMP7-7 digi all the time.
            > For one example: http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html
            >
            > I don't have a Kenwood but I would like this functionality.
            > Is it possible to do this with the Tracker2?
            >
            > My understanding of the WIKI is this will work.
            > WIKI Link: http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption
            >
            > This is what I am thinking I need to do:
            >
            > In OTWINCFG:
            > click on "Digi Config"
            > enter TEMP into an "Alias" field
            > enter 7 for "Hops", check "Preempt", "ID" and "Enabled"
            > check "Digipeat on my call"
            >
            > Using terminal software, I would use:
            > ALIAS 1 TEMP
            > HOPLIMIT 1 7
            > PREEMPT 1 on
            > USEALIAS 1 on
            > DIGIID 1 on
            > [used 1 for n since I have no other ALIASes entered as this is a tracker]
            >

            > Any one care to comment?
            >
            > In lieu of a comment I will try it anyway. I just hope to save time if
            > someone knows this will not work.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Fred, N7FMH

          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
              The portable PATH I would like to use is: WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1, TEMPn-N. With TEMPn-N in the first position, a normal W1/W2 digipeater would not do anything. In the second path, at least one hop is completed.

              Currently, I am changing a TEMP1-1,WIDE2-1 to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 with DigiXform in APRSIS32 and sending TEMP1-1,WIDE2-1 from the portable. The portable [TILT(APRSISCE)/T2-301] is sitting on the seat next to me and can't reach or hear anything but the mobile unit.

              The OT2 mobile unit which is normally a tracker, could be a TEMPn-N digipeater if it is enabled. I don' t know how the Kenwoods handle this but it sounds close.

              Thanks!

              Best regards,
              Fred, N7FMH

              That should work. Preemption is not required, but it can stay on.

              With Preemption on, the OT2 will look for TEMPn-N in any unused path
              element in the packet, and jump to there marking the previous path
              elements as used up.

              On 6/8/11, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              >

              > I have been reading through
              WB4APRs pages regarding using the Kenwood D7x0s
              > as a TEMP7-7 digi all
              the time.
              href="http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html">http://www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html

              I don't have a Kenwood but I would like this functionality.
              > Is it
              possible to do this with the Tracker2?

              > My understanding of the
              WIKI is this will work.
              href="http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption">http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Digipeater_Setup#Preemption

              This is what I am thinking I need to do:

              > In OTWINCFG:

              click on "Digi Config"
              > enter TEMP into an "Alias" field
              > enter 7
              for "Hops", check "Preempt", "ID" and "Enabled"
              > check "Digipeat on my
              call"

              > Using terminal software, I would use:
              > ALIAS 1
              TEMP
              > HOPLIMIT 1 7
              > PREEMPT 1 on
              > USEALIAS 1 on

              DIGIID 1 on
              > [used 1 for n since I have no other ALIASes entered as this
              is a tracker]

              > Any one care to comment?

              In lieu of a comment I will try it anyway. I just hope to save time if

              someone knows this will not work.

              Thanks!

              > Best regards,
              > Fred,
              N7FMH

              ------------------------------------

              > Yahoo! Groups
              Links

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
                The Kenwoods and Kantronics units can not do preemptive digipeating.
                You will have to be near your preemptive TEMPn-N digipeater for you to
                get preemptive digipeats from your unit.

                However, what will happen is main digipeaters and fill-in digipeaters
                will grab your first hop request, and act upon it, then the main
                digipeaters will act upon the WIDE2-1, and finally any Kenwood mobile
                in range of those digipeaters, as well as any other digipeater
                configured for TEMPn-N will act upon the TEMP1-1 on the end.

                For your configuration, it would be better to use a unique alias for
                preemption that won't trigger the regular TEMPn-N digipeaters as the
                last hop.

              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
                  Light up all the Kenwood's! What fun!
                  How to win friends in one easy step!

                  A unique alias is good!

                  If a Kenwood is in use, then the portable must be using TEMPn-N as the first
                  path or only path. I'll go back and re-read the Bob Docs again now that I
                  have a slightly better understanding.

                  Thanks James!

                  Best regards,
                  Fred, N7FMH