DR-135/T2-135 receive problem.

  • N5UDK
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2011
      I'm having receive problem with a new Alinco DR-135 and new T2-135. Radio is in data mode, narrow mode and am using new cable and usb serial adapter from Argent Data. I'm not sure if I have a radio problem or TNC problem. Can anyone help me with this?

      According to an oscilloscope, the radio is receiving data but appears to be distorted audio coming into the TNC. Xastir will not receive APRS data over the air via the TNC. However, using the config software we are able to read the data and then write the data. Xastir can transmit and verified by another station on site.

      The audio coming into Connector CN2 pin 3 is very distorted with what
      appears to be a combination of clipping and phase shift.

      Green LED on T2-135 only lights when writting data. TX works OK.

      Tim, N5UDK
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
        Tim N5UDK wrote...

        > I'm having receive problem with a new Alinco DR-135 and
        > new T2-135. Radio is in data mode, narrow mode...

        Have you tried "wide" mode?

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • N5UDK
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011

          > Tim N5UDK wrote...
          >
          > > I'm having receive problem with a new Alinco DR-135 and
          > > new T2-135. Radio is in data mode, narrow mode...
          >
          > Have you tried "wide" mode?
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

          Yes we have tried wide band mode with no change. I have also done a reset of the radio with no change.
        • Thomas Krahn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
            Dear Tim,

            This sounds more like a radio problem. Audio shouldn't be distorted when
            entering any kind of TNC.
            You may simply try your computer and soundcard to try to demodulate some
            audio from your radio.
            This would eliminate the T2 from being the culprit (or maybe not)

            You can install soundmodem on your Linux PC and use soundmodemconfig to
            debug the audio settings.

            Thomas
            KT5TK

            On 06/05/2011 09:58 PM, N5UDK wrote:

            > I'm having receive problem with a new Alinco DR-135 and new T2-135.
            > Radio is in data mode, narrow mode and am using new cable and usb
            > serial adapter from Argent Data. I'm not sure if I have a radio
            > problem or TNC problem. Can anyone help me with this?
            >
            > According to an oscilloscope, the radio is receiving data but appears
            > to be distorted audio coming into the TNC. Xastir will not receive
            > APRS data over the air via the TNC. However, using the config software
            > we are able to read the data and then write the data. Xastir can
            > transmit and verified by another station on site.
            >
            > The audio coming into Connector CN2 pin 3 is very distorted with what
            > appears to be a combination of clipping and phase shift.
            >
            > Green LED on T2-135 only lights when writting data. TX works OK.
            >
            > Tim, N5UDK

          • N5UDK
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Krahn <thomas@...> wrote:

              > Dear Tim,
              >
              > This sounds more like a radio problem. Audio shouldn't be distorted when
              > entering any kind of TNC.
              > You may simply try your computer and soundcard to try to demodulate some
              > audio from your radio.
              > This would eliminate the T2 from being the culprit (or maybe not)
              >
              > You can install soundmodem on your Linux PC and use soundmodemconfig to
              > debug the audio settings.
              >
              > Thomas
              > KT5TK
              >

              > On 06/05/2011 09:58 PM, N5UDK wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm having receive problem with a new Alinco DR-135 and new T2-135.
              > > Radio is in data mode, narrow mode and am using new cable and usb
              > > serial adapter from Argent Data. I'm not sure if I have a radio
              > > problem or TNC problem. Can anyone help me with this?
              > >
              > > According to an oscilloscope, the radio is receiving data but appears
              > > to be distorted audio coming into the TNC. Xastir will not receive
              > > APRS data over the air via the TNC. However, using the config software
              > > we are able to read the data and then write the data. Xastir can
              > > transmit and verified by another station on site.
              > >
              > > The audio coming into Connector CN2 pin 3 is very distorted with what
              > > appears to be a combination of clipping and phase shift.
              > >
              > > Green LED on T2-135 only lights when writting data. TX works OK.
              > >
              > > Tim, N5UDK

              I've ordered another DR-135 radio and should know the answer in a couple of days.
            • rondall swart
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
                I don’t know anything but could it be the tnc cable? just wondering
                K7CDL
                Ron

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
                  OK, this is what we found.
                  Installed T2 into another new DR-135 and let run overnight and still won't receive.
                  Configured a new T2 using the same .cfg file as before and installed into the original DR-135 and immediately started recieving and gating traffic.

                  Looks like I have a bad T2 board.

                  Scott, what do I need to do to get it replaced?

                  Thanks,
                  Tim, N5UDK

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 10, 2011
                    Email me off-list with your order number and I'll get you an RMA.

                    Thanks,

                    Scott