Correct RX audio level for OT2m modem?

  • hannihe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      Hi,

      What audio level does the recent OT2m's modem (MX614) expect? I couldn't find it in the OT2m specifications. Could tune the radio's audio output level accordingly.

      Also, when should the EQ jumper be plugged in?

      Got the unit from Dayton. It magically started to receive much better after some capacitors were rotated 90 degrees. :)

      Going to try it out as a KISS modem on a digipeater with a Motorola Radius radio.

      - Hessu, OH7LZB
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM, hannihe <hessu@...> wrote:

        > Going to try it out as a KISS modem on a digipeater with a Motorola Radius radio.

        Just in case you haven't run across this in the Wiki yet.

        http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/OT-Moto

        The audio level at pin 11 is acceptable. I feed the TX audio into the
        flat audio input on pin 5. There is no preemphasis on the signal, so
        it doesn't meet spec, but I haven't run across anything that is
        barking about not being able to decode the tones after deemphasis.
        Besides, Kenwood doesn't meet spec with their gear either!

        It would be nice to be able to adjust the individual tone levels as in
        the TT4, but it seems to be working fine around here, with the unit
        being our main digipeater.

        If you feed the audio into the mic input on pin 2, you won't be able
        to get enough drive level, even if if you short out the resistor on
        the OT2 output circuit. I have another digipeater running with the
        audio fed into pin 2, and the levels maxed out. It only does about 2
        kHz deviation, but I can decode it about 45 km away. Maybe with a bit
        more drive I would get a better copy, but I need to go out to the site
        and change the pin and settings. It's only about 3 hours east of here,
        so it will be a couple days before I get a chance to get out there
        again.

        These OT2 units are sure nice!

      • Gary Sanders
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
          On 6/2/2011 9:48 PM, James Ewen wrote:

          > If you feed the audio into the mic input on pin 2, you won't be able
          > to get enough drive level, even if if you short out the resistor on
          > the OT2 output circuit. I have another digipeater running with the
          > audio fed into pin 2, and the levels maxed out. It only does about 2
          > kHz deviation, but I can decode it about 45 km away. Maybe with a bit
          > more drive I would get a better copy, but I need to go out to the site
          > and change the pin and settings. It's only about 3 hours east of here,
          > so it will be a couple days before I get a chance to get out there
          > again.
          >
          > These OT2 units are sure nice!
          >
          > James
          > VE6SRV

          Before I left for Dayton (I STILL haven't gotten back home yet!) I ran
          into this exact same problem with a Motorola Spectra and an OT1+. I
          batted my head against the wall trying to fix it. When I'd crank up the
          OT1 tx audio level, the distortion on the scope was horrible, and I
          still had only about 2 khz of deviation. The twist was all screwed up also.

          I finally got a Velleman K1803 "Universal Mono Pre Amplifier" kit for
          around 12 bucks. It's just a simple 1 IC mono preamp that could be
          breadboarded in a few minutes, but the kit eliminated the hassles of
          rounding up parts, making a board, etc.

          I put it between the OT1 and the Spectra Mic In, cranked down the OT1
          audio output, which greatly improved the distortion, and set the
          deviation with the preamp. I now have plenty of drive, and the twist is
          perfect.

          The Motorola mic inputs seem to demand a LOT of audio drive, I guess
          that's a relic of the carbon mic days.

          Gary WB0BZR