Re: Rockoon Launch

  • Monroe K
    Message 1 of 19 , May 21, 2011
      Just remember the atmosphere at 100kft is about the same as Mars, in order for us to fly at that altitude the rotors had to be designed after the blades of the Helios aircraft NASA flue at 96,000 ft. They are very thin and ultra light weight. Motors cant dissipate heat very well either at that altitude.
      For a return autorotating does work! A tri-copter could autorotate during the decent and if you swing the motors/rotors 90 degrees it could fly like a plane in the lower atmosphere with the front two rotors pulling and the rear one pushing.

      Monroe