smart beaconing cornering question T2-301

  • Don
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20 7:55 AM
      T2-301
      Garmin Nuvi 350
      Latest firmware in Tracker

      So the corning is set to 27 degrees but not more then 15 seconds

      2mph 90mph
      300sec 60 sec

      The tracker isn't powered when the car is off, hence the short times

      Image upload to photos in smartbeaconing folder

      The pink is the route tracked as shown on aprs.fi
      Green is the actual route taken.

      To me it appears that the cornering is hit or miss, what are your thoughts. Should I be tweaking something?

      you can see the track in aprs.fi ac2ev-9
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20 8:07 AM
        Hi Don,

        It doesn't mean it did not transmit. It does mean that whether or not it beaconed, it did not make it into APRS-IS. Unless you are monitoring with RF, you don't know for sure.

        I am using a T2-301 for some testing and most points never make it to the system but I know it is beaconing since I am monitoring with RF.

        At minimum, use an HT and listen for packets. Set the squelch to maximum and then usually only the absolute strongest, your tracker, will make it in.

        If you want better performance, make sure to use an outside antenna.

        Best regards,
        Fred, N7FMH

        T2-301 (N7FMH-7) connected to a Tilt running ARPSISCE (N7FMH-13)
        [look me up and see my tracks]

        Message 3 of 3 , May 24 11:15 AM
          Looks like my volume wasn't quite loud enough and my TX delay was too short. When I had the HT I wasn't hearing the beginning part of the aprs packet. I tweaked the settings and posted a new picture. The reliability is much better now. I'm going up the TX some more and test to ensure that the entire packet is being broadcast.

          I also tweaked the smartbeaconing settings. I'll post a config file later today when I get home.