Re: Yaesu FTM-350AR GTRANS

  • w2fcp
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2011
      I tried it using the CT-142 cable from Yaesu and got the icon on the Nuvi saying there was no communication. I also tried swapping 2 & 3 on the DB-9 and got the same thing. Scratching my head with this one...

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

      > The manual is as clear as mud, but use TXD-7/RXD-8/GND-2 and set E16:Com Port Setting:
      >
      > Speed:4800 bps;
      > Output:WAYPOINT;
      > Input: GPS IN;
      > WayPoint Format NMEA9.
      >
      > I don't have the info on how the GTRANS DB-9 is wired. If it is wired for a PC connection, then:
      >
      > DB-9............FT-350
      > 2..Data Out .... 8 RXD
      > 3..Data In ..... 7 TXD
      > 5..GND ......... 2 GND
      >
      > Otherwise swap pin 2 and 3 from the DB-9.
      >
      > Larry
      > K7YBZ
      >

      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w2fcp" <whitemg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was wondering if Argent has plans on making a GTRANS for the FTM-350AR. I currently have a GTRANS with a DB9 on the end but the 350 uses a mini-DIN-8. I know the DB9 connector only uses pins 2,3, and 5. Anyone know what pins I would need to tap into for the mini-DIN 8?
      > >

      > > 1. PKD (Packet data input)
      > > 2. GND
      > > 3. PKS (PTT)
      > > 4. RX96 (9600bps Packet data output)
      > > 5. RX12 (1200bps Packet data output)
      > > 6. SQL (Squelch control)
      > > 7. TXD (Serial data output: Transceiver PC)
      > > 8. RXD (Serial data input: Transceiver PC)
      > >
      > > I would like to get this up and running soon, would appreciate any help.
      > >
      > > -Mike

    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8, 2011
        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w2fcp" <whitemg@...> wrote:

        > I tried it using the CT-142 cable from Yaesu and got the icon on the Nuvi saying there was no communication. I also tried swapping 2 & 3 on the DB-9 and got the same thing. Scratching my head with this one...

        That icon is saying the nuvi and GTRANS are not communicating. Check the mini-b connector on the GTRANS cable very carefully. Scott mentioned, and it has been posted before, that the cable and connector have had manufacturing problems.

        Larry
        K7YBZ
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2011
          The GTRANS won't put the nuvi into FMI mode (with the exception of FMI
          2.5 units like the nuvi 1300) so it won't clear the comm error icon if
          you've already enabled FMI on the nuvi.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2011
            On 5/6/2011 11:27 AM, w2fcp wrote:
            > I was wondering if Argent has plans on making a GTRANS for the
            > FTM-350AR. I currently have a GTRANS with a DB9 on the end but the 350

            Yes, once we get production problems sorted out and get an FTM-350 to
            test with.

            Scott
          • w2fcp
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8, 2011
              I will Beta Test it for you if you want me to.

              > On 5/6/2011 11:27 AM, w2fcp wrote:
              > > I was wondering if Argent has plans on making a GTRANS for the
              > > FTM-350AR. I currently have a GTRANS with a DB9 on the end but the 350
              >
              > Yes, once we get production problems sorted out and get an FTM-350 to
              > test with.
              >
              > Scott
            • w2fcp
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8, 2011
                I guess I do not have a GTRANS, I have Garmin the 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 8, 2011
                  Ok... that's not going to do you any good with the FTM-350 then.

                  Scott

                • w2fcp
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8, 2011
                    I got it working, I traded my FMI cable to my friend for his GTRANS he didn't need. Hooked it up and it instantly got a GPS lock. Thanks for the help!