Re: [tracker2] Firmware

  • Stephen Brown Jr
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
      Ok, so with all that being said, I'm assuming my best option is to flash it using the windows utility? Where can I get the files?

      The xmodem-formatted firmware is a little out of date - I'll update it next time I put out a stable build.  There have been some compatibility problems reported with the upload; I've tested it under Minicom and sz from the command line in Linux, and using SecureCRT from Windows without any problem, but there may be problems with other platforms.

      Also, as of yet there's no way to skip blocks, so the configuration space always gets overwritten during an xmodem firmware upgrade.  That might not be entirely a bad thing, but it's inconvenient.

      Oh yeah, there's an undocumented feature in the Windows config program - right-click on the title bar and you can save the whole flash image to a file suitable for xmodem uploads.  It requires a Windows box, but it does let you prepare images for upload under Linux.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

        > On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Stephen wrote:
        >
        > > I also noticed there are several files available for download on
        > > Scott's website. I'm assuming I will need otwincg.exe and ot2.s19?
        > > There is bootloader code there as well, will I need to load that
        > > first, or should it already be on the chip?
        >

        > The bootloader is already on the chip - it is supplied in case you're
        > using your own programming hardware and components to build a T2 (or
        > OT) and use Scott's code.
        >
        > Just get the config program (otwincg.exe) and run it. When it
        > initializes and talks to the T2 (or OT), you'll have a button on the
        > configuration screen to download the latest firmware from the web.
        > No need to muck around downloading firmware (.s19) files since the
        > config program will do it for you.
        >
        > -Jason
        > kg4wsv

        Awesome. I got it flashed succesfully and I am able to get into it
        with hyperterm. The only problem I have experienced so far is that for
        whatever reason it will not save the config in english instead of
        metric units? For some reason it keeps defaulting back to metric units
        instead of english units.

        Is that a known issue? Or do I have something wrong?

        Also, Im a little confused on JP7. It appears that you can load 2
        configurations on this, am I to assume that if pins 1+2 are open
        config 1 will be used and if shorted config 2?
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
          The English/Metric thing affects the configuration program display only, not how anything's reported on the air.  And yeah, it doesn't save the setting - that's been on my to-do list for awhile.

          Profile switching depends on what you select in the lower-left pane of the config program, but the jumper is one input you can use to select the profile.

          Scott

          > On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Stephen wrote:
          >
          > > I also noticed there are several files available for download on
          > > Scott's website. I'm assuming I will need otwincg.exe and ot2.s19?
          > > There is bootloader code there as well, will I need to load that
          > > first, or should it already be on the chip?
          >

          > The bootloader is already on the chip - it is supplied in case you're
          > using your own programming hardware and components to build a T2 (or
          > OT) and use Scott's code.
          >
          > Just get the config program (otwincg.exe) and run it. When it
          > initializes and talks to the T2 (or OT), you'll have a button on the
          > configuration screen to download the latest firmware from the web.
          > No need to muck around downloading firmware (.s19) files since the
          > config program will do it for you.
          >
          > -Jason
          > kg4wsv

          Awesome. I got it flashed succesfully and I am able to get into it
          with hyperterm. The only problem I have experienced so far is that for
          whatever reason it will not save the config in english instead of
          metric units? For some reason it keeps defaulting back to metric units
          instead of english units.

          Is that a known issue? Or do I have something wrong?

          Also, Im a little confused on JP7. It appears that you can load 2
          configurations on this, am I to assume that if pins 1+2 are open
          config 1 will be used and if shorted config 2?

        • Stephen
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:

            > The English/Metric thing affects the configuration program display
            only, not
            > how anything's reported on the air. And yeah, it doesn't save the
            setting -
            > that's been on my to-do list for awhile.
            >
            > Profile switching depends on what you select in the lower-left pane
            of the
            > config program, but the jumper is one input you can use to select the
            > profile.
            >
            > Scott
            >

            > _____

            Behalf
            > Of Stephen
            > Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:34 AM
            > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [tracker2] Re: Firmware
            >

            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
            s.com, Jason
            > Winningham <jdw@> wrote:
            > >

            > > On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Stephen wrote:
            > >
            > > > I also noticed there are several files available for download on
            > > > Scott's website. I'm assuming I will need otwincg.exe and ot2.s19?
            > > > There is bootloader code there as well, will I need to load that
            > > > first, or should it already be on the chip?
            > >

            > > The bootloader is already on the chip - it is supplied in case you're
            > > using your own programming hardware and components to build a T2 (or
            > > OT) and use Scott's code.
            > >
            > > Just get the config program (otwincg.exe) and run it. When it
            > > initializes and talks to the T2 (or OT), you'll have a button on the
            > > configuration screen to download the latest firmware from the web.
            > > No need to muck around downloading firmware (.s19) files since the
            > > config program will do it for you.
            > >
            > > -Jason
            > > kg4wsv
            > >

            > Awesome. I got it flashed succesfully and I am able to get into it
            > with hyperterm. The only problem I have experienced so far is that for
            > whatever reason it will not save the config in english instead of
            > metric units? For some reason it keeps defaulting back to metric units
            > instead of english units.
            >
            > Is that a known issue? Or do I have something wrong?
            >
            > Also, Im a little confused on JP7. It appears that you can load 2
            > configurations on this, am I to assume that if pins 1+2 are open
            > config 1 will be used and if shorted config 2?

            Ok thanks for clearing that up. Would this also be affected by typing
            info from the CLI and it not showing properly? I'm still seeing the
            temp in celsius versus fahrenheit. I hope to attach this to a radio by
            tommorow or this evening and I should be able to tell if it's working
            properly or not.....
          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
              >I'm still seeing the temp in celsius versus fahrenheit.

              Disregard, I got it figured out by typing Fahrenheit on from the CLI.
              Temp is reporting correctly now :)