T2 - INOP after Loading from file

  • Gary Sanders
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23, 2011
      I had my OT2 and radio (Motorola Spectra) on the bench today, and was
      checking the deviation. After I finished, I attempted to load a
      previously saved configuration file to the T2.

      Apparently, something went wrong, because immediately after it finished
      and I closed otwincfg, the Activity Led remained lit bright RED. The T2
      no longer controls the radio.

      All subsequent attempts to connect to the T2 fail as follows:

      After the connect dialog, otwincfg says to reset the tracker.

      After power cycling the T2, it fails with a "Can't open serial port"
      message, repeatedly.

      The Activity LED is continuously lit (RED), except about every three
      seconds, the led changes to GREEN for an extremely brief interval (so
      short that I almost missed that it was even blinking).

      I've programmed this T2 numerous times with this same laptop (IBM T30
      running Windows 7), and it has always worked perfectly. The laptop has a
      real serial port. The last time it successfully accessed the T2 was
      literally minutes before the failure.

      I've tried disabling Turbo. No difference.

      I've tried the "Erase device and load new firmware" option. No difference.

      I've disconnected the radio, and tried to access the T2 with nothing
      else connected to it (other than power). No difference.

      I've re-downloaded otwincfg and tried it. No difference.

      I installed a known - functional USB serial adapter on the laptop (I've
      programmed the T2 numerous times with this adapter). No difference.

      I've power-cycled the T2 when suggested by otwincfg until I'm blue in
      the face. No difference.

      Anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck at this point.

      Gary Sanders WB0BZR
    • pb648174
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
        I loaded a bad firmware once and in order to connect I had to leave the power to the device off, then click the connect dialog and connect power. If it didn't immediately enter the options screen, I would disconnect and reconnect power, sometimes 2 or 3 times until it connected. Then immediately load the new firmware and don't do anything else with other windows while it is loading the firmware.

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Gary Sanders <yahoomail3847@...> wrote:

        > I had my OT2 and radio (Motorola Spectra) on the bench today, and was
        > checking the deviation. After I finished, I attempted to load a
        > previously saved configuration file to the T2.
        >
        > Apparently, something went wrong, because immediately after it finished
        > and I closed otwincfg, the Activity Led remained lit bright RED. The T2
        > no longer controls the radio.
        >
        > All subsequent attempts to connect to the T2 fail as follows:
        >
        > After the connect dialog, otwincfg says to reset the tracker.
        >
        > After power cycling the T2, it fails with a "Can't open serial port"
        > message, repeatedly.
        >
        > The Activity LED is continuously lit (RED), except about every three
        > seconds, the led changes to GREEN for an extremely brief interval (so
        > short that I almost missed that it was even blinking).
        >
        > I've programmed this T2 numerous times with this same laptop (IBM T30
        > running Windows 7), and it has always worked perfectly. The laptop has a
        > real serial port. The last time it successfully accessed the T2 was
        > literally minutes before the failure.
        >
        > I've tried disabling Turbo. No difference.
        >
        > I've tried the "Erase device and load new firmware" option. No difference.
        >
        > I've disconnected the radio, and tried to access the T2 with nothing
        > else connected to it (other than power). No difference.
        >
        > I've re-downloaded otwincfg and tried it. No difference.
        >
        > I installed a known - functional USB serial adapter on the laptop (I've
        > programmed the T2 numerous times with this adapter). No difference.
        >
        > I've power-cycled the T2 when suggested by otwincfg until I'm blue in
        > the face. No difference.
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck at this point.
        >
        > Gary Sanders WB0BZR

      • Gary Sanders
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
          Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your method, and unfortunately, it's
          still no go.

          In fact, at one point I must have disconnected and reconnected the power
          to the T2 at least 25 times after clicking the connect dialog, and still
          it just sits there glaring at me.

          I also re-downloaded otwincfg, and even switched to a different computer
          (this time with XP). Still no difference.

          One thing I did notice - I connected my RS-232 breakout box to the
          serial line to the T2, and noticed that every time the Activity Led
          blinked from Red to Green very briefly about every three seconds, the
          Serial Receive line changed state. I could also see the serial transmit
          data going to the T2, but no response - just the one state change every
          three seconds or so.

          By the way, I've tried both port A and B of the T2, with the same result.

          Is there anything else I can try, or is this T2 a candidate for shipment
          back to Scott for repair?

          Gary Sanders WB0BZR

          On 4/24/2011 9:06 AM, pb648174 wrote:
          > I loaded a bad firmware once and in order to connect I had to leave
          > the power to the device off, then click the connect dialog and
          > connect power. If it didn't immediately enter the options screen, I
          > would disconnect and reconnect power, sometimes 2 or 3 times until it
          > connected. Then immediately load the new firmware and don't do
          > anything else with other windows while it is loading the firmware.
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Gary Sanders<yahoomail3847@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I had my OT2 and radio (Motorola Spectra) on the bench today, and
          >> was checking the deviation. After I finished, I attempted to load
          >> a previously saved configuration file to the T2.
          >>
          >> Apparently, something went wrong, because immediately after it
          >> finished and I closed otwincfg, the Activity Led remained lit
          >> bright RED. The T2 no longer controls the radio.
          >>
          >> All subsequent attempts to connect to the T2 fail as follows:
          >>
          >> After the connect dialog, otwincfg says to reset the tracker.
          >>
          >> After power cycling the T2, it fails with a "Can't open serial
          >> port" message, repeatedly.
          >>
          >> The Activity LED is continuously lit (RED), except about every
          >> three seconds, the led changes to GREEN for an extremely brief
          >> interval (so short that I almost missed that it was even
          >> blinking).
          >>
          >> I've programmed this T2 numerous times with this same laptop (IBM
          >> T30 running Windows 7), and it has always worked perfectly. The
          >> laptop has a real serial port. The last time it successfully
          >> accessed the T2 was literally minutes before the failure.
          >>
          >> I've tried disabling Turbo. No difference.
          >>
          >> I've tried the "Erase device and load new firmware" option. No
          >> difference.
          >>
          >> I've disconnected the radio, and tried to access the T2 with
          >> nothing else connected to it (other than power). No difference.
          >>
          >> I've re-downloaded otwincfg and tried it. No difference.
          >>
          >> I installed a known - functional USB serial adapter on the laptop
          >> (I've programmed the T2 numerous times with this adapter). No
          >> difference.
          >>
          >> I've power-cycled the T2 when suggested by otwincfg until I'm blue
          >> in the face. No difference.
          >>
          >> Anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck at this point.
          >>
          >> Gary Sanders WB0BZR

        • Gary Sanders
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
            Thought I'd send this again, because I've run out of ideas on this problem.

            Anyone have any other ideas?

            (I also sent a copy via email to Argent Data, but haven't gotten a
            response there either.)

            Gary Sanders WB0BZR

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
              "Can't open serial port" is USUALLY a problem on the PC side. I'd start
              by rebooting to make sure nothing has it stuck open, and make sure
              you've got the latest version of otwincfg.

              Sorry for the lack of email lately. I've been sick for a few days... in
              the office for a bit today to take care of some critical stuff and then
              I'm going back to bed.

              Scott

              On 4/26/2011 9:54 AM, Gary Sanders wrote:
              > Thought I'd send this again, because I've run out of ideas on this problem.
              >
              > Anyone have any other ideas?
              >
              > (I also sent a copy via email to Argent Data, but haven't gotten a
              > response there either.)
              >
              > Gary Sanders WB0BZR
              >
              > On 4/23/2011 8:17 PM, Gary Sanders wrote:
              > > I had my OT2 and radio (Motorola Spectra) on the bench today, and
              > > was checking the deviation. After I finished, I attempted to load a
              > > previously saved configuration file to the T2.
              > >
              > > Apparently, something went wrong, because immediately after it
              > > finished and I closed otwincfg, the Activity Led remained lit bright
              > > RED. The T2 no longer controls the radio.
              > >
              > > All subsequent attempts to connect to the T2 fail as follows:
              > >
              > > After the connect dialog, otwincfg says to reset the tracker.
              > >
              > > After power cycling the T2, it fails with a "Can't open serial port"
              > > message, repeatedly.
              > >
              > > The Activity LED is continuously lit (RED), except about every three
              > > seconds, the led changes to GREEN for an extremely brief interval
              > > (so short that I almost missed that it was even blinking).
              > >
              > > I've programmed this T2 numerous times with this same laptop (IBM
              > > T30 running Windows 7), and it has always worked perfectly. The
              > > laptop has a real serial port. The last time it successfully accessed
              > > the T2 was literally minutes before the failure.
              > >
              > > I've tried disabling Turbo. No difference.
              > >
              > > I've tried the "Erase device and load new firmware" option. No
              > > difference.
              > >
              > > I've disconnected the radio, and tried to access the T2 with nothing
              > > else connected to it (other than power). No difference.
              > >
              > > I've re-downloaded otwincfg and tried it. No difference.
              > >
              > > I installed a known - functional USB serial adapter on the laptop
              > > (I've programmed the T2 numerous times with this adapter). No
              > > difference.
              > >
              > > I've power-cycled the T2 when suggested by otwincfg until I'm blue
              > > in the face. No difference.
              > >
              > > Anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck at this point.
              > >
              > > Gary Sanders WB0BZR

            • k7ybz
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                Gary,

                > Thought I'd send this again, because I've run out of ideas on this problem.
                >
                > Anyone have any other ideas?
                >
                > (I also sent a copy via email to Argent Data, but haven't gotten a
                > response there either.)

                Scott Miller has been online with two recent posts, but in the meantime, you did not mention changing out your serial cable between the OT2 to the computer or USB adapter.

                Larry
                K7YBZ
              • Gary Sanders
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                  Thanks for the reply Scott. Hope you're feeling better.

                  Normally I'd agree. However, after failing with one laptop that
                  literally worked minutes before to successfully reconfigure the T2, I
                  tried it with an XP machine. Same symptom. (The second PC is also known
                  to be able to configure the T2).

                  Before reposting, I re-downloaded otwincfg (new version on each computer).

                  The T2 failed after a config reload, and I've lost all ability to talk
                  to it.

                  Any other thoughts?

                  Gary Sanders WB0BZR

                • Gary Sanders
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                    Hi Larry,

                    Actually, I tried swapping out the entire computer system: Computer, 2
                    different brands of USB to serial adapters (both of which can normally
                    configure the T2 without difficulty) in addition to the built in serial
                    port on one of the machines, and at least three different USB cables.

                    And I've tried three different bench power supplies to power the T2.

                    All of the computers, cables, adapters etc., have been used at one time
                    or another to successfully configure the T2. But not anymore. It just
                    doesn't want to cooperate.

                    I think I've run out of things to swap out....

                    And I know I've run out of ideas.

                    Any other thoughts?

                    Gary Sanders WB0BZR

                    On 4/26/2011 1:20 PM, k7ybz wrote:
                    > Gary,
                    >
                    > Scott Miller has been online with two recent posts, but in the
                    > meantime, you did not mention changing out your serial cable between
                    > the OT2 to the computer or USB adapter.
                    >
                    > Larry K7YBZ
                  • k7ybz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                      Gary,

                      > Any other thoughts?

                      The only other thought I have is to remove the board from inside the case and take a very close look at the solder joints at the serial connector. It is possible that working the socket has broken a connection. For that matter, just check the entire board under a magnifying glass.

                      Larry
                      K7YBZ
                    • Gary Sanders
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                        I'll give that a try.

                        Thanks,

                        Gary Sanders WB0BZR

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2011
                          Hi Gary,

                          I'm finally mostly over the flu and getting caught up with email. If I
                          haven't sent you an RMA number yet, email me off-list and I'll get that
                          going.

                          Thanks,

                          Scott

                        • Gary Sanders
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 1, 2011
                            Hi Scott...

                            Isn't the flu fun :).

                            I can think of any number of better ways to spend a few days.

                            I sent you a message to support@....

                            Thanks for your assistance,

                            Gary Sanders WB0BZR