Re: [tracker2] High speeds when parked

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2011
      So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

      You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
      autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

      Scott

      On 4/4/2011 6:44 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
      > Scott N1VG wrote...
      >
      >> Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
      >> on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
      >> course/speed.
      >
      > Port A is set to auto and a non-display type GPS is connected. Port B is
      > set to Garmin. Normally, only the NMEA GPS is connected. Occasionally
      > a Nuvi 350 is connected. I don't recall if it ever created bogus high speeds
      > with both GPS receivers connected. The callsign-SSID is VE7PGE-2. It has
      > probably been 9 months since both GPS receivers have been connected.
      > I'll see if I can get Randy to connect the 350 for a while.
      >
      > The GPS is set to "save" the position and "don't require GPS fix". Is the
      > latter incorrect? It always seems contrary to what I would like to enter,
      > but is it needed so it will beacon with the "saved" position when there
      > isn't a fix?
      >
      > None of the profile switching options are enabled.
      >
      > The idea was to be able to connect the Nuvi from time too time and to
      > leave the non-display (NMEA) GPS connected all of the time.
      >
      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

    • offtracks1
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2011

        > Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
        > on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
        > course/speed.

        I have both port A and B set to 4800 and Mode at Auto.
        This is with the ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver and the T2-301.

        Seems like I never have seen speed errors this high with passed GPS units I used at my work and for fun. Thinking I set it up wrong.

        Should I have port A set to Garmin maybe?

        Scott KB7DZR
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2011
          Scott N1VG wrote...

          > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

          Yes, that is correct.

          > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
          > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

          Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
          speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
          stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2011
            > Should I have port A set to Garmin maybe?

            If you're using it with a Garmin - it has to send a start command to get
            data from the unit, so it can't automatically detect it.

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2011
              Ah - maybe there's some sort of weirdness with the autosave function, then.

              Scott

              On 4/4/2011 8:40 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
              > Scott N1VG wrote...
              >
              >> So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?
              >
              > Yes, that is correct.
              >
              >> You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
              >> autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.
              >
              > Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
              > speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
              > stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.
              >
              > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

            • offtracks1
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 5, 2011

                > If you're using it with a Garmin - it has to send a start command to get
                > data from the unit, so it can't automatically detect it.
                >
                > Scott

                The GPS is the one you sell. The ADS-GM1.

                It the pasted I used the Garmin Nuvi 350 and seems like I never got the crazy speeds.
              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 8, 2011
                  Scott N1VG wrote...

                  > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

                  As I mentioned, only the NMEA is currently connected.

                  > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                  > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

                  I turned TXNOFIX OFF a few days ago. Looking at your message, I
                  should have turned AUTOSAVE off! I hadn't seen any "high speeds
                  while parked" for the last 3-4 days, but I did catch it going 942 kmh
                  this morning. I'll turn AUTOSAVE off and watch it for a bit longer.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH