Re: [tracker2] Re: High speeds when parked

  • Kenny Witt
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
      Yep, agree with these comments....at best, the GPS can only give a "pseudo-fix" which, by implication, will mean some drifting in position and fix, since time is the only constant in the equation....kw KC4OJS

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
        Scott N1VG wrote...

        > Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
        > on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
        > course/speed.

        Port A is set to auto and a non-display type GPS is connected. Port B is
        set to Garmin. Normally, only the NMEA GPS is connected. Occasionally
        a Nuvi 350 is connected. I don't recall if it ever created bogus high speeds
        with both GPS receivers connected. The callsign-SSID is VE7PGE-2. It has
        probably been 9 months since both GPS receivers have been connected.
        I'll see if I can get Randy to connect the 350 for a while.

        The GPS is set to "save" the position and "don't require GPS fix". Is the
        latter incorrect? It always seems contrary to what I would like to enter,
        but is it needed so it will beacon with the "saved" position when there
        isn't a fix?

        None of the profile switching options are enabled.

        The idea was to be able to connect the Nuvi from time too time and to
        leave the non-display (NMEA) GPS connected all of the time.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
          So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

          You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
          autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

          Scott

          On 4/4/2011 6:44 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
          > Scott N1VG wrote...
          >
          >> Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
          >> on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
          >> course/speed.
          >
          > Port A is set to auto and a non-display type GPS is connected. Port B is
          > set to Garmin. Normally, only the NMEA GPS is connected. Occasionally
          > a Nuvi 350 is connected. I don't recall if it ever created bogus high speeds
          > with both GPS receivers connected. The callsign-SSID is VE7PGE-2. It has
          > probably been 9 months since both GPS receivers have been connected.
          > I'll see if I can get Randy to connect the 350 for a while.
          >
          > The GPS is set to "save" the position and "don't require GPS fix". Is the
          > latter incorrect? It always seems contrary to what I would like to enter,
          > but is it needed so it will beacon with the "saved" position when there
          > isn't a fix?
          >
          > None of the profile switching options are enabled.
          >
          > The idea was to be able to connect the Nuvi from time too time and to
          > leave the non-display (NMEA) GPS connected all of the time.
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
            Scott N1VG wrote...

            > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

            Yes, that is correct.

            > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
            > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

            Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
            speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
            stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
              > Should I have port A set to Garmin maybe?

              If you're using it with a Garmin - it has to send a start command to get
              data from the unit, so it can't automatically detect it.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
                Ah - maybe there's some sort of weirdness with the autosave function, then.

                Scott

                On 4/4/2011 8:40 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                > Scott N1VG wrote...
                >
                >> So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?
                >
                > Yes, that is correct.
                >
                >> You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                >> autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.
                >
                > Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
                > speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
                > stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.
                >
                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
                  Scott N1VG wrote...

                  > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

                  As I mentioned, only the NMEA is currently connected.

                  > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                  > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

                  I turned TXNOFIX OFF a few days ago. Looking at your message, I
                  should have turned AUTOSAVE off! I hadn't seen any "high speeds
                  while parked" for the last 3-4 days, but I did catch it going 942 kmh
                  this morning. I'll turn AUTOSAVE off and watch it for a bit longer.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH