Re: [tracker2] High speeds when parked

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
      Scott KB7DZR wrote...

      >I have a T2-301 with the ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver. It works great most
      > the time but when parked with a clear view to the sky in a very open area
      > it will beacon very high speeds sometimes. 97 MPH or 350 MPH.

      I have mentioned this on the list a few times, but it doesn't seem to have
      grabbed (the other) Scott's attention yet. I had been meaning to send a
      private message to him. My observation is of Randy's VE7PGE-2 OT2m. I
      helped program it. It is set to get data from a Nuvi 350 when connected
      (not often) and from a non-display GPS (connected all of the time on the
      other port) when the 350 isn't present. I think Scott had once mentioned
      a possible conflict when data is seen from two GPS receivers, but in my
      friend's case, only one GPS receiver is connected most of time. When
      sitting still it sometimes beacons fantastic (hundreds of km/h) speeds.
      I've never seen any "crazy" speeds when it has been moving.

      Scott (N1VG) - any thoughts on this? I know you are busy with other
      things, but when you get a chance...

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
        Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
        on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
        course/speed.

        Scott

        On 4/4/2011 10:26 AM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
        > Scott KB7DZR wrote...
        >
        > >I have a T2-301 with the ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver. It works great most
        > > the time but when parked with a clear view to the sky in a very open area
        > > it will beacon very high speeds sometimes. 97 MPH or 350 MPH.
        >
        > I have mentioned this on the list a few times, but it doesn't seem to have
        > grabbed (the other) Scott's attention yet. I had been meaning to send a
        > private message to him. My observation is of Randy's VE7PGE-2 OT2m. I
        > helped program it. It is set to get data from a Nuvi 350 when connected
        > (not often) and from a non-display GPS (connected all of the time on the
        > other port) when the 350 isn't present. I think Scott had once mentioned
        > a possible conflict when data is seen from two GPS receivers, but in my
        > friend's case, only one GPS receiver is connected most of time. When
        > sitting still it sometimes beacons fantastic (hundreds of km/h) speeds.
        > I've never seen any "crazy" speeds when it has been moving.
        >
        > Scott (N1VG) - any thoughts on this? I know you are busy with other
        > things, but when you get a chance...
        >
        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

      • Kenny Witt
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
          Yep, agree with these comments....at best, the GPS can only give a "pseudo-fix" which, by implication, will mean some drifting in position and fix, since time is the only constant in the equation....kw KC4OJS

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
            Scott N1VG wrote...

            > Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
            > on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
            > course/speed.

            Port A is set to auto and a non-display type GPS is connected. Port B is
            set to Garmin. Normally, only the NMEA GPS is connected. Occasionally
            a Nuvi 350 is connected. I don't recall if it ever created bogus high speeds
            with both GPS receivers connected. The callsign-SSID is VE7PGE-2. It has
            probably been 9 months since both GPS receivers have been connected.
            I'll see if I can get Randy to connect the 350 for a while.

            The GPS is set to "save" the position and "don't require GPS fix". Is the
            latter incorrect? It always seems contrary to what I would like to enter,
            but is it needed so it will beacon with the "saved" position when there
            isn't a fix?

            None of the profile switching options are enabled.

            The idea was to be able to connect the Nuvi from time too time and to
            leave the non-display (NMEA) GPS connected all of the time.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
              So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

              You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
              autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

              Scott

              On 4/4/2011 6:44 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
              > Scott N1VG wrote...
              >
              >> Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
              >> on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
              >> course/speed.
              >
              > Port A is set to auto and a non-display type GPS is connected. Port B is
              > set to Garmin. Normally, only the NMEA GPS is connected. Occasionally
              > a Nuvi 350 is connected. I don't recall if it ever created bogus high speeds
              > with both GPS receivers connected. The callsign-SSID is VE7PGE-2. It has
              > probably been 9 months since both GPS receivers have been connected.
              > I'll see if I can get Randy to connect the 350 for a while.
              >
              > The GPS is set to "save" the position and "don't require GPS fix". Is the
              > latter incorrect? It always seems contrary to what I would like to enter,
              > but is it needed so it will beacon with the "saved" position when there
              > isn't a fix?
              >
              > None of the profile switching options are enabled.
              >
              > The idea was to be able to connect the Nuvi from time too time and to
              > leave the non-display (NMEA) GPS connected all of the time.
              >
              > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
                Scott N1VG wrote...

                > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

                Yes, that is correct.

                > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

                Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
                speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
                stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
                  > Should I have port A set to Garmin maybe?

                  If you're using it with a Garmin - it has to send a start command to get
                  data from the unit, so it can't automatically detect it.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2011
                    Ah - maybe there's some sort of weirdness with the autosave function, then.

                    Scott

                    On 4/4/2011 8:40 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                    > Scott N1VG wrote...
                    >
                    >> So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?
                    >
                    > Yes, that is correct.
                    >
                    >> You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                    >> autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
                    > speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
                    > stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.
                    >
                    > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
                      Scott N1VG wrote...

                      > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

                      As I mentioned, only the NMEA is currently connected.

                      > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                      > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

                      I turned TXNOFIX OFF a few days ago. Looking at your message, I
                      should have turned AUTOSAVE off! I hadn't seen any "high speeds
                      while parked" for the last 3-4 days, but I did catch it going 942 kmh
                      this morning. I'll turn AUTOSAVE off and watch it for a bit longer.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH