High speeds when parked

  • offtracks1
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4 7:39 AM
      I have a T2-301 with the ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver. It works great most the time but when parked with a clear view to the sky in a very open area it will beacon very high speeds sometimes. 97 MPH or 350 MPH. I have ruled out any errors from beyond the unit as I have received this error directly on my VX8G HT.

      Its my tracker but I have it setup on a friends bike. Getting ready for a trip he will make soon from Alaska to Texas on his bike that is setup with HF and APRS.

      It their a setting I need to adjust to resolve this.

      Thanks
      Scott
      KB7DZR
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4 8:01 AM
        Scott,

        You will get some variation regardless. Its a variation that can only be resolved by the GPS receiver with more satellites in view. Its not
        unusual to see a few miles per hour when stopped. I have seen anywhere from 1 to 15 mph.

        Last year on Cycle Oregon I was net control on a hill above Joseph Oregon and I didn't see anything unusual there.

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "offtracks1" <worldroamer@...> wrote:

        > It works great most the time but when parked with a clear view to the sky in a very open area it will beacon very high speeds sometimes. 97 MPH or 350 MPH. >
        >
        > Thanks
        > Scott
        > KB7DZR

      • offtracks1
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4 9:03 AM
          > You will get some variation regardless. Its a variation that can only be resolved by the GPS receiver with more satellites in view. Its not
          > unusual to see a few miles per hour when stopped. I have seen anywhere from 1 to 15 mph.

          Larry Thanks. I have also seen the variations with most all the GPS gear I have worked with in the pasted. Really can get crazy when you get in some of the deeper canyons.
          Seems like most the time its right about what you said. The super high speeds seems a bit too much. Not a big deal I just wanted to make sure he is all setup right.

          I heard you when you were up this way. My APRS Igate station and the new digi/wx station on Mt Howard we got installed last July should have been some help. I hope.

          Scott KB7DZR
          www.josephoregonweather.com
        • k7ybz
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4 10:02 AM
            Scott,

            You get the worst variation when the satelites are on the horizon.

            Most definitely Mt Howard was a big help. Unfortuantely, APRS coverage was very spotty. You can check out the CO progress on aprs.fi using CON*, COM*, COS*, and COC*. The data is still there.

            CONET1
            CONET2
            CONET3
            COSAG1
            COSAG2
            COSAG3
            COSAG4
            COSAG5
            COSAG6
            COSAG7
            COSAG8
            COML (MEDIC LEAD)
            COMR (MEDIC RECOVERY)
            COCB (Course Directory aka CowBoy)

            Larry
            K7YBZ

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "offtracks1" <worldroamer@...> wrote:

            > > You will get some variation regardless. Its a variation that can only be resolved by the GPS receiver with more satellites in view. Its not
            > > unusual to see a few miles per hour when stopped. I have seen anywhere from 1 to 15 mph.
            >
            > Larry Thanks. I have also seen the variations with most all the GPS gear I have worked with in the pasted. Really can get crazy when you get in some of the deeper canyons.
            > Seems like most the time its right about what you said. The super high speeds seems a bit too much. Not a big deal I just wanted to make sure he is all setup right.
            >
            > I heard you when you were up this way. My APRS Igate station and the new digi/wx station on Mt Howard we got installed last July should have been some help. I hope.
            >
            > Scott KB7DZR
            > www.josephoregonweather.com

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4 10:26 AM
              Scott KB7DZR wrote...

              >I have a T2-301 with the ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver. It works great most
              > the time but when parked with a clear view to the sky in a very open area
              > it will beacon very high speeds sometimes. 97 MPH or 350 MPH.

              I have mentioned this on the list a few times, but it doesn't seem to have
              grabbed (the other) Scott's attention yet. I had been meaning to send a
              private message to him. My observation is of Randy's VE7PGE-2 OT2m. I
              helped program it. It is set to get data from a Nuvi 350 when connected
              (not often) and from a non-display GPS (connected all of the time on the
              other port) when the 350 isn't present. I think Scott had once mentioned
              a possible conflict when data is seen from two GPS receivers, but in my
              friend's case, only one GPS receiver is connected most of time. When
              sitting still it sometimes beacons fantastic (hundreds of km/h) speeds.
              I've never seen any "crazy" speeds when it has been moving.

              Scott (N1VG) - any thoughts on this? I know you are busy with other
              things, but when you get a chance...

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4 2:36 PM
                Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
                on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
                course/speed.

                Scott

                On 4/4/2011 10:26 AM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                > Scott KB7DZR wrote...
                >
                > >I have a T2-301 with the ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver. It works great most
                > > the time but when parked with a clear view to the sky in a very open area
                > > it will beacon very high speeds sometimes. 97 MPH or 350 MPH.
                >
                > I have mentioned this on the list a few times, but it doesn't seem to have
                > grabbed (the other) Scott's attention yet. I had been meaning to send a
                > private message to him. My observation is of Randy's VE7PGE-2 OT2m. I
                > helped program it. It is set to get data from a Nuvi 350 when connected
                > (not often) and from a non-display GPS (connected all of the time on the
                > other port) when the 350 isn't present. I think Scott had once mentioned
                > a possible conflict when data is seen from two GPS receivers, but in my
                > friend's case, only one GPS receiver is connected most of time. When
                > sitting still it sometimes beacons fantastic (hundreds of km/h) speeds.
                > I've never seen any "crazy" speeds when it has been moving.
                >
                > Scott (N1VG) - any thoughts on this? I know you are busy with other
                > things, but when you get a chance...
                >
                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

              • Kenny Witt
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4 6:09 PM
                  Yep, agree with these comments....at best, the GPS can only give a "pseudo-fix" which, by implication, will mean some drifting in position and fix, since time is the only constant in the equation....kw KC4OJS

                  > > You will get some variation regardless. Its a
                  > variation that can only be resolved by the GPS receiver with
                  > more satellites in view. Its not
                  > > unusual to see a few miles per hour when stopped. I
                  > have seen anywhere from 1 to 15 mph.
                  >
                  > Larry Thanks. I have also seen the variations with most all
                  > the GPS gear I have worked with in the pasted. Really can
                  > get crazy when you get in some of the deeper canyons.
                  > Seems like most the time its right about what you said. The
                  > super high speeds seems a bit too much. Not a big deal I
                  > just wanted to make sure he is all setup right.
                  >
                  > I heard you when you were up this way. My APRS Igate
                  > station and the new digi/wx station on Mt Howard we got
                  > installed last July should have been some help. I hope.
                  >
                  > Scott KB7DZR
                  > www.josephoregonweather.com

                  >     tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4 6:44 PM
                    Scott N1VG wrote...

                    > Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
                    > on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
                    > course/speed.

                    Port A is set to auto and a non-display type GPS is connected. Port B is
                    set to Garmin. Normally, only the NMEA GPS is connected. Occasionally
                    a Nuvi 350 is connected. I don't recall if it ever created bogus high speeds
                    with both GPS receivers connected. The callsign-SSID is VE7PGE-2. It has
                    probably been 9 months since both GPS receivers have been connected.
                    I'll see if I can get Randy to connect the 350 for a while.

                    The GPS is set to "save" the position and "don't require GPS fix". Is the
                    latter incorrect? It always seems contrary to what I would like to enter,
                    but is it needed so it will beacon with the "saved" position when there
                    isn't a fix?

                    None of the profile switching options are enabled.

                    The idea was to be able to connect the Nuvi from time too time and to
                    leave the non-display (NMEA) GPS connected all of the time.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4 6:50 PM
                      So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

                      You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                      autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

                      Scott

                      On 4/4/2011 6:44 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                      > Scott N1VG wrote...
                      >
                      >> Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
                      >> on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
                      >> course/speed.
                      >
                      > Port A is set to auto and a non-display type GPS is connected. Port B is
                      > set to Garmin. Normally, only the NMEA GPS is connected. Occasionally
                      > a Nuvi 350 is connected. I don't recall if it ever created bogus high speeds
                      > with both GPS receivers connected. The callsign-SSID is VE7PGE-2. It has
                      > probably been 9 months since both GPS receivers have been connected.
                      > I'll see if I can get Randy to connect the 350 for a while.
                      >
                      > The GPS is set to "save" the position and "don't require GPS fix". Is the
                      > latter incorrect? It always seems contrary to what I would like to enter,
                      > but is it needed so it will beacon with the "saved" position when there
                      > isn't a fix?
                      >
                      > None of the profile switching options are enabled.
                      >
                      > The idea was to be able to connect the Nuvi from time too time and to
                      > leave the non-display (NMEA) GPS connected all of the time.
                      >
                      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                    • offtracks1
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 4 8:26 PM

                        > Is this from the Garmin or NMEA side? Could be a floating point glitch
                        > on the Garmin speed calculation - it has to convert from X/Y velocity to
                        > course/speed.

                        I have both port A and B set to 4800 and Mode at Auto.
                        This is with the ADS-GM1 GPS Receiver and the T2-301.

                        Seems like I never have seen speed errors this high with passed GPS units I used at my work and for fun. Thinking I set it up wrong.

                        Should I have port A set to Garmin maybe?

                        Scott KB7DZR
                      • Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 4 8:40 PM
                          Scott N1VG wrote...

                          > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

                          Yes, that is correct.

                          > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                          > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

                          Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
                          speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
                          stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 4 10:06 PM
                            > Should I have port A set to Garmin maybe?

                            If you're using it with a Garmin - it has to send a start command to get
                            data from the unit, so it can't automatically detect it.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 4 10:07 PM
                              Ah - maybe there's some sort of weirdness with the autosave function, then.

                              Scott

                              On 4/4/2011 8:40 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                              > Scott N1VG wrote...
                              >
                              >> So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?
                              >
                              > Yes, that is correct.
                              >
                              >> You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                              >> autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.
                              >
                              > Thanks for the info. I just turned TXNOFIX OFF remotely. The current
                              > speed (parked) is 941.9 kmh. It shows 0 kmh most of the time while
                              > stationary, but several times a day, it shows fantastic speeds.
                              >
                              > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                            • offtracks1
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 5 6:03 AM

                                > If you're using it with a Garmin - it has to send a start command to get
                                > data from the unit, so it can't automatically detect it.
                                >
                                > Scott

                                The GPS is the one you sell. The ADS-GM1.

                                It the pasted I used the Garmin Nuvi 350 and seems like I never got the crazy speeds.
                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 8 8:39 AM
                                  Scott N1VG wrote...

                                  > So you get the bogus speeds with only the NMEA GPS connected?

                                  As I mentioned, only the NMEA is currently connected.

                                  > You don't need "don't require..." with the autosave option. Once it
                                  > autosaves a position, it's in fixed position mode until it gets a new fix.

                                  I turned TXNOFIX OFF a few days ago. Looking at your message, I
                                  should have turned AUTOSAVE off! I hadn't seen any "high speeds
                                  while parked" for the last 3-4 days, but I did catch it going 942 kmh
                                  this morning. I'll turn AUTOSAVE off and watch it for a bit longer.

                                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH