Re: [tracker2] Re: Whether it's Weather?

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 27 3:57 PM
      The comments are in the raw packets and I do believe there's a way to
      download the raw packets for a date/time range from aprs.fi. I don't
      know how long they are stored for said retrieval, however.

      On 3/27/2011 12:20 PM, ki7wv wrote:
      > Thank you, Lynn- I just learned a new encoding scheme- had not heard of base 91. If presently I use position packets with a comment, are the comments retreivable, say from APRSfi?
      >
      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<ldeffenb@...> wrote:
      >> Watch for a new specification that will support base91 telemetry values
      >> included directly in a position packet comment. That will give you the
      >> best of both, position-based data collection and customized telemetry
      >> definitions. It'll be something like |ss1122334455bb| where ss is the
      >> sequence, 11, 22, 33, 44, 55 are up to 5 base91-encoded "analog" values
      >> and bb is base-91 encoded 8 bits.

      >>> Probably best to record the data as telemetry. You can define your own
      >>> telemetry definitions easily. Creating an add on to the weather
      >>> definition for custom readings such as yours is probably not the way
      >>> to go.
      >>>
      >>> Sounds like an interesting project though.
      >>>
      >>> Have you seen Scott's Black Rock navigator?
      >>>
      >>> James
      >>> VE6SRV

    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 27 4:02 PM
        You could probably bang together a quick APRS-IS recorder program to
        leave running back at home to make sure you have the packets that you
        want. An APRSISCE/32 instance running with just a buddy filter on your
        callsign and Enables / View Logs / Packets enabled along with Enables /
        Logging / File Enabled will give you every received packet into
        APRSIS32.LOG. This is especially useful if you set Configure / Range to
        0 so that you ONLY get the packets related to your filter.

        However, that said, I'd think twice about using a User Defined Packet if
        you can live with 5 or fewer values that range from 0-255 or even 0-999.
        If you do it with Telemetry and send out the appropriate definition
        messages, you get the added advantage of aprs.if (and possibly other)
        graphs of your values for "free".

        On 3/27/2011 5:32 PM, ki7wv wrote:
        > Thanks Scott- If a User Defined Packet finds it way to a iGate, does the system suck it up and store it for a fixed period (say two weeks?) so I can grab it later?
        >
        > This will be my first burn- I saw your golden compass- Nice!. BTW, MFJ used to sell the crossed-needle meters that they use in their tuners for a fair price.
        > Joe
        >

        >>> Is what I am describing
        >>> ? Weather
        >>> ? Telemetry
        >>> ? Beacon
        >> You could put the temperature and light level in a weather packet. For
        >> the rest, I'd probably just do a user-defined packet so you can get the
        >> resolution you want, assuming you don't mind parsing it yourself.

      • ki7wv
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 27 11:21 PM
          Thanks- as always, there is a tradeoff. As I read the spec for a telemetry packet, while the time it is received is logged, the GPS position is not included in the packet spec. So the issue with it becomes finding the closest position report in time to the telemetry report so that the map can be made. Having the data as a comment to a position packet keeps concurrency issues to a minimum, but would require getting getting into APRS-IS capture.
          Joe

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 28 6:56 AM
            On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:21 AM, ki7wv <ki7wv@...> wrote:

            > Thanks- as always, there is a tradeoff.  As I read the spec for a telemetry
            > packet, while the time it is received is logged, the GPS position is not
            > included in the packet spec.  So the issue with it becomes finding the
            > closest position report in time to the telemetry report so that the map
            > can be made.  Having the data as a comment to a position packet
            > keeps concurrency issues to a minimum, but would require getting
            > getting into APRS-IS capture.

            There is a much easier way to do what you are looking to do. Just do
            your data acquisition and capture locally. Memory is cheap, and you
            can sample as often as you like.

            APRS is not a SCADA system. It's not designed for high rate data
            capture. APRS is low speed shared information.

            If you sample and store the information locally (in the hardware you
            are using to capture the data), you don't have to worry about the data
            format, the RF infrastructure around you, or set up a data capture
            system remotely to capture the data being sent that may be colliding
            with other packets.

          • ki7wv
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 28 7:28 PM
              I'm not talking high bandwidth but the potential for interactive reporting of "hot spots" (literally and figuratively) in a land without cell phones.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 28 7:45 PM
                On 3/27/2011 2:32 PM, ki7wv wrote:
                > Thanks Scott- If a User Defined Packet finds it way to a iGate, does the
                > system suck it up and store it for a fixed period (say two weeks?) so I
                > can grab it later?

                I used to grab my stuff from aprsworld, or take it straight off the APRS
                IS feed with a listener I wrote in C++. Originally it was compiled to
                work with Oracle Spatial, but I think I stripped all of that out later on.

                > This will be my first burn- I saw your golden compass- Nice!. BTW, MFJ
                > used to sell the crossed-needle meters that they use in their tuners for
                > a fair price.

                I decided against the meter because of poor low-light visibility, and
                the fact that they're kind of deep. Been trying to come up with
                something small enough for a wrist-mounted display. Maybe a 2.5" hard
                drive voice coil POV display?

                My ticket just came in the mail today. If I wasn't already busy getting
                ready for Dayton I'd be working on projects.