Re: [tracker2] Re: SmartBeaconing in Aircraft

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:36 AM, micalite <micalite@...> wrote:

      > Thanks James and Kriss for your insight, links, and suggestions.
      > While one size doesn't fit all in terms of a J3 Cub and MD82, I have a
      > good basis for some tests that will enable a relatively low data rate
      > and rely on the corner pegging feature for the required accuracy.My
      > main concern is courteous use of the airwaves with blind transmissions
      > from an airborne source.
      > 73 es tnx agn.

      Low data rates are a good thing, but a very important part of being a
      courteous airborne user is the outgoing path.

      WIDE1-1 should never be used as you have better HAAT than just about
      every other station out there. You'll find through observation that
      using no path at all will still get you heard over a very large area.
      Since the OT2 has the ability to profile change based on altitude, I
      would configure the unit to use no path at altitude, and WIDE2-1 down
      near the ground.

      Your decision altitude will need to be based on the terrain you fly
      over, but with our balloon payloads flying over flat terrain can be
      heard by stations hundreds of miles away by the time they are 500 ft
      AGL. We have been flying balloons with no path on the last few flights
      and having no problems hearing, tracking and recovering. The i-gates
      pass the data with no problems, and we have little trouble finding the
      landing location. There's usually no APRS infrastructure in the
      recovery zone to light up with a path even if we did use one.