T2 Stuff

  • Pete Lilja
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
      I've had several questions about my T2-135 combo lately and now another.

      Lately my Nuvi 350 occasionally does not recognize the T2-135 (I get that circle with a slash icon saying it's not connected).  Usually with some power cycling of each the radio and the Nuvi 350 it eventually comes around and works.

      This rig and Nuvi were recently moved to a new car and I now have each component turn on and off with the key.  I don't recall having this problem before.

      Is there a particular order in which the DR-135 radio / T2-135 and Nuvi 350 combo is supposed to be turned on?  Is this likely my issue or should I be looking at the cable between the two?

      Thanks,

      Pete
      KC0GPB
    • pb648174
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
        Could be RFI, there are a few threads on here related to that. Long story short try moving the antenna and/or putting a ferrite core on the serial cable going to the radio.

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:

        > I've had several questions about my T2-135 combo lately and now another.
        >
        > Lately my Nuvi 350 occasionally does not recognize the T2-135 (I get that
        > circle with a slash icon saying it's not connected). Usually with some
        > power cycling of each the radio and the Nuvi 350 it eventually comes around
        > and works.
        >
        > This rig and Nuvi were recently moved to a new car and I now have each
        > component turn on and off with the key. I don't recall having this problem
        > before.
        >
        > Is there a particular order in which the DR-135 radio / T2-135 and Nuvi 350
        > combo is supposed to be turned on? Is this likely my issue or should I be
        > looking at the cable between the two?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Pete
        > KC0GPB

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
          Pete KC0GPB wrote...

          > Lately my Nuvi 350 occasionally does not recognize the T2-135 (I get
          > that circle with a slash icon saying it's not connected). Usually with
          > some power cycling of each the radio and the Nuvi 350 it eventually
          > comes around and works.

          The FMI cable is powered by the T2-135, so if the radio is on, the active
          circuit in the cable (the lump) should be working. The Nuvi must be powered
          via the cradle. Other than looking for something like a cable not fully inserted,
          I would be thinking of the T2-135 itself. Pop the lid on the radio and make
          sure the cable from the radio to the T2-135 is fully seated.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
            Actually the FMI cable is powered from the nuvi end - unless it's an
            010-11232-00 or 010-10865-00, in which case it has a separate power lead.

            The comm error icon should go away with 12 seconds if the T2 is in
            Garmin mode and wired properly.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
              > Is there a particular order in which the DR-135 radio / T2-135 and Nuvi
              > 350 combo is supposed to be turned on? Is this likely my issue or
              > should I be looking at the cable between the two?

              No. If the T2 hasn't heard from the nuvi in several seconds it will
              assume it hasn't been initialized, and will start trying to activate it
              again. They can be turned on or off in any order and should re-sync
              within several seconds. Could be a bad connection.

              Scott
            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
                Scott N1VG wrote...

                > Actually the FMI cable is powered from the nuvi end - unless...

                Arghhhh! Sorry about that. Typing without thinking. I should have
                said "if the Nuvi was powered on, the FMI cable would have power"...
                if the Nuvi is powered from the cradle. Because the Nuvi has an
                internal battery, it's easy to have a bad connection on the cig lighter
                cord and not notice it.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH